Blues confirm Shields trial

Remove this Banner Ad

I know its a little off the topic, but how do you pronounce that??
I-zack-ie.

That's the way it was pronounced when they were talking about him being elevated last year.

I was saying A-sark-ie in my head, but its like Isac........:thumbsu:

Found this pic when searching for anything I could find on Michael Shields. From what i've read he made the All Ireland Under 21 team. He's the bloke in the red.

00010abd12cry.jpg

Found this pic when searching for anything I could find on Michael Shields. From what i've read he made the All Ireland Under 21 team. He's the bloke in the red.

00010abd12cry.jpg

Cool......looks very quick and skillful.;)

Come on give me a break....

Do you know how hard it is to find anything on this guy?

At least one thing we've been able to find out is that he's not an ugly bloke like Cameron Ling :)

At least one thing we've been able to find out is that he's not an ugly bloke like Cameron Ling :)
Just having a bit of fun mate. MOst people see a photo at this time of year and make bold predictions..........although predicting he may struggle in the sun in summer is not all that bold.......pretty pale looking.:D

I did try to look stuff up on him and got a whole bunch of stuff on some w***er Liverpool fan who nearly killed some bloke.....but aparently he didn't do it......or something like that.

Great pic. Good work.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a cornerback, not overly fast compared to other gaelic footballers but like the physical stuff which is required for a player in his position at times.

He was shortlisted in the final 3 players for player of the year awards for his position similar to the All Australian awards as their equivalent.

Okay guys.

Word is he's 6'1 which is around 185cm mark in height.

Apparently willing to take a hit and has been playing off half back for Cork. Has sometimes filled the full back role for them there, and has been described as a a lynch pin in their defence.

Regarded as a very good youngster, AllIreland u21 medal winner, but he wouldn't be described as a big name over there...not yet anyway.

His strength's are described as brute force and ignorance in the way he goes about the game. Tough nut perhaps.

4:01 PM Thu 1 November, 2007 | Back

Hot Footy News!

for carltonfc.com.au
News

County Cork defender Michael Shields has landed in Australia after accepting an offer to train with Carlton.

Shields won an All-Ireland U-21 medal this season and played in the All-Ireland senior final loss to Kerry.

The St Finbarr's player arrived in Melbourne on Thursday and headed strait to MC Labour Park to meet his new teammates.

Shields wasted no time in getting a footy into his hands. After meeting his teammates he joined Blues development coaches Jason McCartney and David Teague on the track for a good old fashioned game of kick-to-kick.

The Blues already boast the O’hAilpin brothers, Setanta and Aisake, and Shields’ arrival for a trial over the pre-season means three County Cork players now grace the club with their presence.

Blues General Manager – Football Operations Steven Icke said, 'We haven't offered him [Shields] a contract, but the opportunity to spend some time at the club and get a feel for what we do and see if he wants to play in the AFL'.

'Aisake played with Michael at home as they are around the same age. They're pretty happy to have another lad from Cork spend time with them.

'It would be a record to have three Cork guys in the same team, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. But we wouldn't be bringing him half way around the world if we didn't think there was some potential for him to be able to play at our level.'

Remove this Banner Ad

Blues confirm Shields trial

Remove this Banner Ad

Back