Autopsy Blues V Demons Rant/Vent thread. Trolls/Lurking likers beware.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did somebody say Casboult?
I'm all for Levi but for most of the game he, Lachie and Andrejs just didn't position themselves. So you had players chipping it across the face of goal for a behind or little Davey scrounging the ball on the deck.

(of course if we played fast footy through the corridor, but that'll never happen under Mick)

Completely understand this, but the players need to understand that if they still want members to put their hands into their pockets and part with their hard earned then they'd better start turning in better performances that what they have over the past 2 weeks.

It doesn't impact the players if members don't sign up, it's Swann and whoever runs the membership dept. The most disappointing parts of yesterday was the response and attitude from the players, they talked a big game all week about bouncing back and when it came time they were well below par. I saw more on field leadership from Cripps, Graham and Ellard than any of our senior players (except for Simmo). This playing group is completely to blame, Malthouse tried to deflect away from the players, but it's pretty clear.

Looks like the members voted with their feet, yesterday was the perfect day for Saturday afternoon football, we had 37,000 turn up to our home game and it sounded / looked like there were more there to see Melbourne.

There are two types of Captains - those that can lift a side when the side needs lifting and those that can organise a side when it needs organising. Murphy is neither - the players have allowed him to be whacked by opposition sides since he was made captain - and this pretty much proves how little respect the Carlton playing group has for Murphy as captain - Murph will have to re-engineer his whole on field game style and attitude in order to earn the respect of the side.

Simpson and Carrazzo were the logical captain choices - the Board went with a perceived marketing advantage instead....Malthouse bringing in Thomas hasn't helped the situation as far as teh older carlton players are concerned - just another salary injustice.

Make no mistake - salary and compensation anomalies at Carlton have fractured the team for years - THIS has to be fixed ASAP.

the Board went with a perceived marketing advantage instead....
Well that says it all really.

Since when is someone as important as a team captain chosen because of "marketing advantage"? (Fully expect I'll probably now get dozens of examples thrown back at me :p)

But you know what I mean. I doubt Nick Maxwell was ever chosen for marketing purposes or Darren Glass etc etc.

It was funny, I was heading over to my brothers place to watch the game (we had something on before hand and were taping it). He was saying that it will be an absolute disgrace if Carlton "can't beat Melbourne, I mean its f$^%^&* Melbourne !!!!" and I was sitting back thinking to myself "I can see it happening (Carlton loosing)". After the "quick start" I didn't think "This is ours!!!!!" I thought "If we lose from here then we are REALLY shit". At the start of the 2nd qtr I was thinking "An easy will will go down to the wire if we don't start playing some basic football instead of spraying shots at goal and trying to be fancy" and by the time they were a couple of goals up I figured "there is no going back from here" and I checked the scores to confirm that we lost. It is sad that I not only went into the game thinking that a loss to Melbourne was a possability, but I could see it unfolding towards the end of the 1st qtr/start of the second, and the team did NOTHING to rectify it !!!!!!!!!

We have too many "show ponies" who try and pull off the miracle handpass/kick/goal and refuse to do the basics (tackles, shepherds, 1%'ers, basic hand balls/kicks/square up a man close to goal instead of going for glory themselves).

I say ONLY play people who want to do the basics well. Play as many kids as possible and get the game plan right. I don't care if 2014 is a TOTAL FAILURE as far as the ladder goes, I want this game-plan and culture fixed !!!!!!!!! We are currently going nowhere fast, and will be swamped by two Frankenstein teams in the GCS and GWS in the near future, but to me the biggest failure (and danger) for the club is out culture/leadership/lack of pride in the jumper which leads to the "soft football" that we are currently producing.

Maybe we need a young coach who can develop a winning game plan around the areas our players excel..

1) Missing targets
2) Not giving a &^%$

But then again the only time I saw any passion and emotion was from the shots of the coaches box.

Sat down today with my 20 year old son to watch the game on TV - not often we get a chance to do so and was really looking forward to it.

What a shit afternoon it turned out to be. Today was a new low for the club and the supporters. The result of the game was bad enough, but for some reason I felt sad that my son hasn't experienced the highs of being a Blues supporter in the 70's, 80's and 90's, and feel responsible he's had to endure the lows and crap of the past 12 years or so.
I must admit I felt moved to apologise to my grandson for taking him to yesterday's game & I sort of feel guilty for indoctrinating him into my Navy Blue ways, because at the moment you couldn't blame a young kid for either wanting to support one of the consistently successful teams, or just not bothering at all with following the AFL.

I very rarely agree with Bruce Mathieson, but his comments after yesterday's game were spot on. Many of the players are on "Rolls Royce money", yet their performances so far this season are more akin to a Leyland P76. Not good enough.

Do not get the Gibbs criticism. At all. He is the most unfairly maligned player on our list. His numbers speak clearly. Was top 3 in all the major stats including clearances and contested possessions. As well as tackles. How that equates to a heartless, soft performance is beyond me.

By the way, that snap in the last? It came after Gibbs busted a gut and sprinted from defensive 50 to provide an option when the majority of the players just stood still. Watching it on the tv doesn't even come close to giving an accurate picture of what's happening out there.

So what did go wrong? Watch our structure from up above and after 5 minutes it is immediately obvious. We are running nowhere near hard enough to present for our teammates. We played man on man all game, both with and without the footy. And we were stagnant. As we were last week. Couple that with poor disposal and its a spiral of mediocrity and turnovers.

Gibbs does not deserve the flack. So long as the team struggles and he doesn't sign, he's gonna continue to be the scapegoat. Irrespective of his form. Why not you moronic supporters look past your perceived prejudices and use an ounce of logic and rationality before you lambast one of the few who isn't deserving of criticism?

Here here. Have read every post up until this one and needed to stop and quote this.

Gibbs has been one of our best so far this year (admittedly, the bar is very low) and has actually been putting his head over the footy!

Nothing short of winning a Brownlow and a Premiership off his own boot will cease the criticism this bloke gets from his own fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I must say, these "autopsy" threads are becoming much too regular. It looks like the season is already turning into one long autopsy. :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must admit I felt moved to apologise to my grandson for taking him to yesterday's game & I sort of feel guilty for indoctrinating him into my Navy Blue ways, because at the moment you couldn't blame a young kid for either wanting to support one of the consistently successful teams, or just not bothering at all with following the AFL.

I said similar to my six year old. He told me not to give up on them.

Since when is someone as important as a team captain chosen because of "marketing advantage"? (Fully expect I'll probably now get dozens of examples thrown back at me :p)

But you know what I mean. I doubt Nick Maxwell was ever chosen for marketing purposes or Darren Glass etc etc.

I can't help you with basic comprehension issues dude...but I'll try..

if you bother to actually read what I wrote it goes like this..

two types of captains- match winners and good organisers
Carlton went for neither..

Selwood and Judd are match winner types - lift their sides..
Maxwell is an organiser type - do this do that now!!!

Carlton went for Murphy because he is a good player on occassion and preswnts well photographically. The truth is that Carrazzo is more eloquent, intelligent and well spoken than Murphy, whilst Simpson is a natural leader who busts a gut week in week out.

ok?

There are two types of Captains - those that can lift a side when the side needs lifting and those that can organise a side when it needs organising. Murphy is neither - the players have allowed him to be whacked by opposition sides since he was made captain - and this pretty much proves how little respect the Carlton playing group has for Murphy as captain - Murph will have to re-engineer his whole on field game style and attitude in order to earn the respect of the side.

Simpson and Carrazzo were the logical captain choices - the Board went with a perceived marketing advantage instead....Malthouse bringing in Thomas hasn't helped the situation as far as teh older carlton players are concerned - just another salary injustice.

Make no mistake - salary and compensation anomalies at Carlton have fractured the team for years - THIS has to be fixed ASAP
Goddard's recruitment to Essendope doesn't seem to have fractured their team. If this is the case at Carlton, it again says something about how precious some of our players are.

Thomas was recruited by us for the same reason that Goddard was recruited by Essendope, to improve our team. I know at the moment Thomas' form is not great, but I see where he is coming from as being very similar to when Judd arrived at the club. It took Judd until the second half of 2008 to have a real impact on our performances due to recovering from a serious groin injury. Thomas is coming from a similar position with his ankle.

If our players can't see the big picture in relation to Thomas' recruitment then perhaps they have their own best interests ahead of those of the team.

Goddard's recruitment to Essendope doesn't seem to have fractured their team. If this is the case at Carlton, it again says something about how precious some of our players are.

Thomas was recruited by us for the same reason that Goddard was recruited by Essendope, to improve our team. I know at the moment Thomas' form is not great, but I see where he is coming from as being very similar to when Judd arrived at the club. It took Judd until the second half of 2008 to have a real impact on our performances due to recovering from a serious groin injury. Thomas is coming from a similar position with his ankle.

If our players can't see the big picture in relation to Thomas' recruitment then perhaps they have their own best interests ahead of those of the team.

From the outside we assume that a team basically on the same page...this isn't the case and I think it has been obvious in performance for some time..

The list is fractured into different groups which makes it difficult to coach and get an agenda through until the coach 'owns' the list he is largely at the mercy of the group dynamics he inherited.

I think that there is a great deal of player dissatisfaction with Murphy and Gibbs in particular and any player who is paid big bucks in general. The older players now know that despite all the high draft picks, the big bucks to these same blokes , the investments that have been made and the sacrifices ( they think they have made) - they will never play in a grand final or get close to it - they also know that they are likely playing their last or second last year...they have no 'hope' and they have heard that the new coach doesn't rate any of them.

The real Carlton is a team without Judd/Carrazzo/Waite/Scotland/Gibbs - Simpson and Walker not too far behind in their case purely age.

The real Carlton even without thee blokes playing - is better than it showed yesterday. Ther eare negative spillovers in teams which are playing fractured football.

Sad and I feel sorry for the battlers of Carlton - but time to move the older blokes on.

AGAIN, we are not asking for Ratts, we are asking why our players who had skills good enough to reach a second final in 2011, suddenly have the worst skills in the league.

Look, no one in their right mind would argue that the players have gone backwards in their development from the days of Ratten, because back then we could at least hit up targets with kicks and handballs.

These days even our most skilled players consistently miss their targets.

Ok fine, you didn't ask for ratten. But I'm firm in the belief that we have and got the best coach available at the time. He's the best coach for us now.. An inexperienced coach would be eaten alive under these circumstances.

Baffled at people wanting MM out. For where we're at now, he's the man to do it.

MM took the Pies down to the bottom of the ladder to get Pendles and Daisy in the one draft and them took them back to finals.

Is that part of the 'process' we keep hearing about?:confused:

MM took the Pies down to the bottom of the ladder to get Pendles and Daisy in the one draft and them took them back to finals.

Is that part of the 'process' we keep hearing about?:confused:

We have 3 #1 picks and Chris Judd. That 'process' >>>> our process that got a 5th placing and a semi-final loss..

I'll go one further and say i believe a big part of the managements decision to appoint Murphy captain was to take the easy way out re free agency ...
ie : the captain wont entertain leaving via free agency

Just another example of how appallingly this club has been administered !!

Thomas leads like Simpson, but is obviously underdone like Henderson.

I doubt the players are upset at Daisy and Murphy getting money.

We need a physical leader like Judd and Kreuzer who are at the coal face. Don't need them to be vocal and extroverts like Sticks, but set the tone with the way they play. Bradley used to shut down Matera and Hocking who were better players than Jones. Underrated captain after he took over from Sticks.

We've seen more leadership from Robinson who told Betts this sort of thing wasn't on...

I'm not going to address the game yesterday specifically, but I am going to go into bat for our senior coach.

Those questioning Mick Malthouse and his status as coach of our club make me shake my head. I am so sick of people - both supporters and those in the media - glossing over the real issue here, and that is that we have a playing group largely either incapable or unwilling to do what it takes to get the best out of themselves and represent the Carlton Football Club with pride.

MM has been an incredible coach across several decades. He's achieved great success with a number of clubs - both high quality and low quality. Every club he has coached has turned the corner and a significant reason why that has been the case is because of the man at the helm.

He has earned enough respect and has enough credits in the bank to make me believe he knows what he's doing, even with this difficult start to the season.

Sorry, but I don't buy into the argument that he's too old or out of touch with the modern game. Quite frankly, that's complete and utter garbage. You don't have to be young to be a good coach. There are examples of why this is garbage in every sport around the world - including in the sport we love.

It is so clear that the issue here is the playing group. There is only one player at the club who can stand next to Malthouse, look him in the eyes and honestly say he's achieved as much or more than MM has across his career.

If the playing group doesn't like MM, bad luck. Welcome to the real world where boss and employee don't always have to see eye to eye. If the players don't want to play for Mick, they can get ****ed and be shipped off to other clubs for all I care. Good luck to them if they can find a coach of an AFL side who is soft on them doesn't hound them to get the best out of themselves.

These players don't know what it takes to reach the pinnacle, and it appears as though they assume that turning up is enough to make it happen. If they don't appreciate being told what needs to be done and what is expected of them to reach the top, then they don't deserve to be there.

There were very few representing the Carlton Football Club yesterday in an official capacity who genuinely looked as though they were hurting. One of them was Mick Malthouse.

I've always said that coaches are scapegoats for under performing players. It is the very unfortunate and perhaps misguided reality of our great game, indeed of professional sport in general, that when the going gets tough it is the coach who is first in the firing line. We've seen that throughout history, both throughout the competition and also at our club, and I fear we may be starting to see it again. In no way am I endorsing Ratts as a coach, but it is clear he wasn't even half of the problem which led to his demise.

There is only so much the coaching staff can do. At the end of the day it is the players who are out there and who have to make it happen. Mick Malthouse can't make the players run and create an option. Mick Malthouse can't make the players hit a simple target 10 metres away when trying to switch to the other side of the ground. Mick Malthouse can't make a player go back and kick it through the big sticks. In no way am I suggesting that MM should be exonerated from all blame, because clearly he has his part to play in our current predicament, but it is ultimately up to the players to ensure they represent the Carlton Football Club to the best of their ability. Right now, in fact for the past few years, I'm not convinced they are doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back