Autopsy Blues V GWS. Rant away folks....

Remove this Banner Ad

It's like we only turn up to play when we think we are no chance of winning. In games where we are favourites or expected to win, we think it'll just happen and therefore don't try.

And it's bloody frustrating.

I think you are spot on with your initial observation here but i don't think it has anything to do with not trying.

I put it down to the mental fragility of some of our players. I think it is a simple matter of them crumbling under the expectation of winning. It's easier to perform at a reasonable level when nobody is expecting much of you.

We need to recruit players based on more than their football talent.

It's like we only turn up to play when we think we are no chance of winning. In games where we are favourites or expected to win, we think it'll just happen and therefore don't try.

And it's bloody frustrating.
Dont think we are not trying its just that we are not manic or feverish in these type of games compared to the way we approach the tougher games.

You only have to be 5% off your game or mental approach and any team in this competition has the talent to make you really pay for it.

I am guessing we were about 20% off it yesterday and it was a combination off mental approach, physical application, match ups/game plan, skill execution and personnel (playing unfit or unsuitable players as well as having key players unavailable).

wow so blue over there.
My eyes & head are hurting now!
:(
Weird, eh. Probably the main reasons I chose BF over TC and CSC 8 years ago were the shocking colour schemes. BF's loss I guess.

I think you are spot on with your initial observation here but i don't think it has anything to do with not trying.

I put it down to the mental fragility of some of our players. I think it is a simple matter of them crumbling under the expectation of winning. It's easier to perform at a reasonable level when nobody is expecting much of you.

Dont think we are not trying its just that we are not manic or feverish in these type of games compared to the way we approach the tougher games.

You only have to be 5% off your game or mental approach and any team in this competition has the talent to make you really pay for it.

I am guessing we were about 20% off it yesterday and it was a combination off mental approach, physical application, match ups/game plan, skill execution and personnel (playing unfit or unsuitable players as well as having key players unavailable).

Yep, so maybe I should have used a different word to 'trying'. It's definitely an attitude thing. We don't play with that desperation, intensity etc against the lower teams and it just comes across (to me) as a lack of effort. Tackles, contested ball etc - all indicators of intensity are good when we look like we are 'on' but are horrible when we are 'off'.

But this isn't new. We did the same thing under Ratts - just not as severely bad to lose to the bottom teams. But that's got to do with the good players under Ratts getting older & not much coming through to pick up the slack.

*standing ovation emoticon*

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only watched the first half, it was so bad I no longer cared about any likely comeback so flicked over and watch a real contest in the netball.

I should have done the same, but I waited until after the game before I took my dog for a walk.

Yah man, it's the hair thingy, like Essendope Hurley:rolleyes:

Have not watch the game yet, is it worth watching?

Did Menz play well enough for RSN?
How did Curnow go first game back?
Has Mitch turned the corner with bomb in the air and dive at everyone foot?

Have not watch the game yet, is it worth watching?

Did Menz play well enough for RSN?
How did Curnow go first game back?
Has Mitch turned the corner with bomb in the air and dive at everyone foot?
Menz was good but wont get a RSN though.
Curnow was ok.
Mitch was our most efficient player which is really disappointing for the rest of the group, he did show signs of lowering his eyes and trying to do the right thing. He wont turn the corner until this effort becomes a regular performance.

If you can stomach watching the majority of our players just jogging around when the Giants had the ball and make some awful skill errors when they did get it back then yeah go right ahead and watch the replay.

Menz was good but wont get a RSN though.
Curnow was ok.
Mitch was our most efficient player which is really disappointing for the rest of the group, he did show signs of lowering his eyes and trying to do the right thing. He wont turn the corner until this effort becomes a regular performance.

If you can stomach watching the majority of our players just jogging around when the Giants had the ball and make some awful skill errors when they did get it back then yeah go right ahead and watch the replay.

thanks mate, i will give it a miss then. Mitch has been our best 5 the last few games, no?

thanks mate, i will give it a miss then. Mitch has been our best 5 the last few games, no?
Last 2 for sure but we still need better players then Mitch going forward IMO.

We need half forwards who can regularly kick goals and not go to ground as often as he does, when he goes to ground it impacts on his ability to chase out and pressure.

Also need half forwards who have that bit of polish to go into the midfield and be effective, Mitch has the aggression, commitment and toughness but we either need to get a better balance or better skilled players with the same attributes going forward.

As bad as yesterday was, there was some great action photos of Menz....(looking for positives).

Last 2 for sure but we still need better players then Mitch going forward IMO.

We need half forwards who can regularly kick goals and not go to ground as often as he does, when he goes to ground it impacts on his ability to chase out and pressure.

Also need half forwards who have that bit of polish to go into the midfield and be effective, Mitch has the aggression, commitment and toughness but we either need to get a better balance or better skilled players with the same attributes going forward.

Agree but for a team that at one point was going at 55% DE, Robbo ending with 83% is a good sign. He has said over the last couple of podcasts he's really working hard on his DE and has learnt now he doesn't have to throw it on the boot & he has more time than he thinks (credits Wiley). So at least there's been an improvement. And he played mainly on ball yesterday so they're good numbers.

Agree but for a team that at one point was going at 55% DE, Robbo ending with 83% is a good sign. He has said over the last couple of podcasts he's really working hard on his DE and has learnt now he doesn't have to throw it on the boot & he has more time than he thinks (credits Wiley). So at least there's been an improvement. And he played mainly on ball yesterday so they're good numbers.
Thats good to hear that our players are starting to show signs of improvement and are receiving some development training and advise from the likes of Wiley.

The challenge for Robinson is to get to a level that what we see 80 to 90% of the time is what he served up last week and yesterday and not once or twice a season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Blues V GWS. Rant away folks....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back