Bob Murphy possible retirement ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

If the lead up to the Grand Final wasn't enough to make you cringe get ready for a
Kobe Bryant like Farewell Tour.
Fair enough if you cringed in the lead up to the GF but it was exactly the same as 05,did you cringe then? Even the celebrations were remarkably similar in the way Kelly was spoken about in a similar fashion to Bob and even Skilton was talked about a great deal.I think it's great as everyone loves a feel good story,but it seems Swans fans have completely forgotten all this.

Fair enough if you cringed in the lead up to the GF but it was exactly the same as 05,did you cringe then? Even the celebrations were remarkably similar in the way Kelly was spoken about in a similar fashion to Bob and even Skilton was talked about a great deal.I think it's great as everyone loves a feel good story,but it seems Swans fans have completely forgotten all this.
And let's not get started on the "Australian of the year" Adam Goodes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brownlow Votes

Year BR
2001 1
2002 8
2004 5
2005 6
2006 6
2007 3
2008 4
2009 1
2011 4
2012 5
2013 3
2015 5
Koby Stevens got 6 Brownlow votes in 2016 and he was traded for a packet of Twisties to StKilda.
The Brownlow is a midfielders award. There would have been games over the years where Murphy deserved a vote and the umps gave votes to Cooney, Griffen and West.

And let's not get started on the "Australian of the year" Adam Goodes.
After the Goodes saga of only last year you'd think the Swans may have learnt something but instead they have taught us about their own double standards once again. While the fans have disrespected the club with them forgetting the memories of 05,the disrespect they have shown to Goodes is far worse. Do they think Goodes would be proud about comments made in reference to Murphy or their treatment of the umpiring fraternity? The Sydney Swans lost far more than just the Gf to the almighty Bulldogs this year,they lost their history and everything that every past player has contributed to,and all because they couldn't sit in a stand or watch a tv and acknowledge the better team had a better day.

After the Goodes saga of only last year you'd think the Swans may have learnt something but instead they have taught us about their own double standards once again. While the fans have disrespected the club with them forgetting the memories of 05,the disrespect they have shown to Goodes is far worse. Do they think Goodes would be proud about comments made in reference to Murphy or their treatment of the umpiring fraternity? The Sydney Swans lost far more than just the Gf to the almighty Bulldogs this year,they lost their history and everything that every past player has contributed to,and all because they couldn't sit in a stand or watch a tv and acknowledge the better team had a better day.
Would have thought Swans fans would extend the respect back after Murphy paid his own to Goodes last year, wearing his number to the coin toss when he was being criticised everywhere.

Murphy is a fantastic asset for the game and anyone who doesn't see that is a buffoon.

Would have thought Swans fans would extend the respect back after Murphy paid his own to Goodes last year, wearing his number to the coin toss when he was being criticised everywhere.

Murphy is a fantastic asset for the game and anyone who doesn't see that is a buffoon.
I agree totally. The evidence is certainly mounting in regard to Sydney's hypocrisy and could explain why it's possible their culture is becoming completely shot.
The Gf has also shown me how many buffoons are out there.

Does Bob fit in with the absolute pinnacle of AFL players like Gary Ablett Snr, Peter Hudson, Barry Cable, Leigh Matthews, Ronald Dale Barassi, Bob Skilton, Teddy and the answer is a resounding no however is he a champion of the game? Most certainly.

Bob epitomises the decent player at every club (AFL and below) who keeps the club ticking without the unnecessary maintenance. What happens on the paddock, stays on the paddock, he's solid and reliable.

We all crave long term players playing for a single club (AFL free agents aside) and you don't play 295 plus games without being fairly special.

I hope to see Bob hit the 300 games next season, something only 108 other players have done. If he doesn't I will still applaud him for playing 295 AFL games more than myself and the dedication to do this year after year.

Are you counting Rudd twice?

Just kidding. It was a while ago.
At the Dogs if JJ got 30 touches and Hunter got 30 touches, Hunter would more likely get the votes in the Brownlow but JJ would get more B&F votes.

Howard, Rudd, Gillard, Abbott, Turnbull.

Anyone who thinks he's not a very good footballer even at his age just doesn't watch enough of the game.

Silky, skilled, fleet-footed half back who sees the game a split second ahead of others and opens up scoring opportunities.

He's also demonstrated the ability to play as a hit-up forward, which he'd have done more often if we weren't bereft of options at half back (until recently with Johannisen, Biggs etc).

He started with the frame of a grasshopper and has been cut down twice in his prime by knee injuries, and he's still amassed 295 games.

He dragged a crippled club out of the wilderness and helped guide it towards a premiership.

He's also displayed a remarkable awareness of social issues and a sensitivity to people and the game that is almost unheard of among his fellow players, which may explain some of the snark from opposition fans.

If that's not a champion, I don't know what is. He may not stand out statistically or be known for any great physical feats, but Bob Murphy is an ornament to the game.

Hahahaha, be real here.

Murphy has been a good to very good player for a long time. But Hayes is a champion and reached a level that Murphy could only hope to have achieved.

Different player types but Murphy is quicker and far more skilful than Hayes ever was. Hayes would have it over Murph in the toughness stakes but that is more a body type thing. To say Murph could only hope to achieve what Hayes has is ludicrous and just plain wrong.
I think murph's media presence and off-field persona has overshadowed his ability as a player somewhat. He's been in our best 3 or 4 players for at least 10 years. He's the modern day Robbie Flower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back