News Bock -Betting Scandal

Remove this Banner Ad

As far as I am concerned, if the betting agencies want to take these bets then the onus is on them. The possibilities of inside information are enormous and the risk is on the betting agency.

I agree with this. The notion that a player can't tell a family member that they're playing up forward because some betting agency might lose some money is outrageous.

Slippery slope arguments regarding corruption have no place. If that is truly a concern then it should start by proscribing these types of bets, and not by denying the right of a person to talk honestly with their family members.

Considering the context however, I reckon it's pretty poor form of the friends and family to use the info, as tempting as it might have been. Even if Bock said it with a Pythonesque 'a nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat, knowwhatimean?'

Its not OK. But its going to happen no matter waht the AFL do.

You may be right but that is no reason for the AFL in conjunction witht he betting agencies not to clamp down on yhis practive as hard as they can

Has no relevance to this discussion. I would have thought a sackable offence.

The next step up from benefiting your family and friends is benefiting yourself. Only a matter of degree.

I reiterate though, if the betting agencies want to take bets on something that is so open to corruption, not just from players, boot studders, receptionists, cleaners, etc, then more the fool the betting agencies.

True. Unfortunately I believe in the end not only the betting agencies but also the game itself will also be damaged by betting corruption if allowed at any level.

I agree with this. The notion that a player can't tell a family member that they're playing up forward because some betting agency might lose some money is outrageous.

Slippery slope arguments regarding corruption have no place. If that is truly a concern then it should start by proscribing these types of bets, and not by denying the right of a person to talk honestly with their family members.

Considering the context however, I reckon it's pretty poor form of the friends and family to use the info, as tempting as it might have been. Even if Bock said it with a Pythonesque 'a nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat, knowwhatimean?'

Nathan does not play for the school U18's. Footballers are professionals and getting paid big money. I work for a mining company. Would it be outrageous if I told my son or friends that we had struck gold before it was announced on the stock exchange? That is exactly what I had to agree not to do when I joined the company. This is the same.

Nathan got off lightly. The fine should have been at least what his relatives made on the bets.

Nathan does not play for the school U18's. Footballers are professionals and getting paid big money. I work for a mining company. Would it be outrageous if I told my son or friends that we had struck gold before it was announced on the stock exchange? That is exactly what I had to agree not to do when I joined the company. This is the same.

Nathan got off lightly. The fine should have been at least what his relatives made on the bets.

The stock exchange is (allegedly) an institution fundamental to our capitalist economy and modern way of life; novelty bets on the first goal kicked in an AFL match are not.

Non-disclosure of facts that might effect future share price is essential for the continuation of the share market. Disclosure of playing position does not threaten the continuation of the AFL, merely the profit of bookies.

While the situations are kinda similar, they're not synonymous. A further example of why they're not is that insider trading can incur criminal charges. Although this might soon be the case for sport too, so that probably supports your argument!

AFL footballers are selected for their ability to play footy, not their morality. I'd rather have an idiot who can play than a model citizen who spuds out.

Maybe in days gone by but for better or worse this is not the case anymore and it's a bit naive to think any other way.

Otherwise fev would still be in AFL today, clubs have too much to lose these days in regards to sponsors and the like to have someone of questionable morals, the media spotlight is too bright.

I'm not saying what bock did was all that morally wrong, it was certainly stupid but that's about it, but to say that footballers are picked soley on their on field performance is a lie.

I think he is changing his name to get away from the scandal.

From AFL.com.au:
Auld backs Bock
15th December
Gold Coast chief executive Travis Auld has backed Travis Bock to retain the Suns' vice-captaincy

Spot On, its gone too far.

Lets say I am a 19 year old rookie in my first year on the list of an AFL club.
I ring my dad on Monday and say "dad, coach reckons Im getting a game on saturday", dad says "what possie you reckon youll play?". I say "forward pocket I reckon".

Dad then strolls down to the TAB and puts a lazy hundred on me at 500 to 1.

Should I be suspended for 2 games and get a $10000 fine?

As far as I am concerned, if the betting agencies want to take these bets then the onus is on them. The possibilities of inside information are enormous and the risk is on the betting agency.
Wouldn't this be exactly what all AFL playes are presented with when they are educated on the subject?

That this situation is a big no-no?

Wouldn't this be exactly what all AFL playes are presented with when they are educated on the subject?

That this situation is a big no-no?

I'm sure that is the case, but can you educate basic human nature out of people? People from all walks of life will trust people with sensitive information.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

If so, we would probably be the only sport in the world like that.... Phil Hughes tweeted he was dropped in the England Ashes series....
Can you bet on whether a player will get picked?

Can you bet on whether a player will get picked?

Interesting point.

I think the betting agencies etc would be too frightened to offer that service, given that the Australian Cricket Board's selection secrets have been leaked out like a sieve.

However, if they did offer that service and an ACB member leaked the info, that would be even more precise than Bock's info as the selection is definite whereas Bock still had to kick the first goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about clubs being transparent and playing teams as they have named them? Then it wouldn't matter how loose the lips of players were.

There seems to be a curse of the players that leave west lakes, Chris Kinghts, Griffin (knees), Phil Davis is out with a back problem, Bock has had a broken leg and now peptide problems, Gunston played in a losing grand final; now there is only one left....

Also bock, what an idiot some people never learn

There seems to be a curse of the players that leave west lakes, Chris Kinghts, Griffin (knees), Phil Davis is out with a back problem, Bock has had a broken leg and now peptide problems, Gunston played in a losing grand final; now there is only one left....

Also bock, what an idiot some people never learn
2... Ivan as well

Remove this Banner Ad

News Bock -Betting Scandal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back