Bock Compo - Appeal to the AFC and AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 16, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
I am urging all supporters that believe we are getting a raw deal to appeal to the club and afl.

Basis
Bock = 27
Brown = 27
Bock = 600 to 650k a year rumoured
Brown = 400 to 450 a year rumoured

Brown is alleged to be a Band 2 selection, whilst Bock is a Band 3.
The "formula" is based on age (given they are the same age we can leave that out) and pay at GC. Given Bock is being paid more, why are they not worth at least the same or bock worth more.

Also, the Hawks board as a consensus believes they have been overpaid.

Does anyone have the email address for Harper, Triggy and Co. And the email/mail for Demitriou and co.

Sample Letter to AFC (Also need to write one to the AFL)

Dear AFC,

When the AFL determined the compensation for losing Bock to the GC Suns, I and other supporters were proud of the face you believed he was worth more than a Band 3 selection, and as a result would appeal.

I were dismayed to hear that we were not appealing and merely wrote a letter to the AFL voicing our concerns. It is important that the club release the response from the AFL to the supporters and members, so that we can understand on what basis the club has decided not to appeal on.

Subsequently Campbell Brown of the Hawthorn Football Club announced that he was signing with the GC Suns. The AFL to my understanding have determined this to be a Band 2 Selection, being that he is worth more than Nathan Bock. Given that the public understand the formula to be based on player age and pay and the fact both players are of the same age and Nathan Bock is rumoured to be on a salary higher than that offered to C. Brown, how come the AFC will receive a lower compensation?

As a matter of recourse I urge the AFC to take the following actions
1) Publicly come out against the level of compensation the HFC will receive for Brown.
2) Take the matter to the AFL Grievance Tribunal.

The AFC is a proud and also powerful club with one of the highest membership bases in the AFL and it is your duty to act in the best interests for the club and its members and supporters.

Yours,

Your Name
Disgruntled AFC Member/Supporter

Brown was rated band 3. End of first round pick, the same as Bock.

It appears that Bock was at the top end of band 3 and Rischa and Brown were at the bottom end.

Them's the breaks.

Let's all move on.

I sent an email along the same lines at half five, was considering whether or not to post it. Get stuck into the club. We CANNOT accept this crap

Brown was rated band 3. End of first round pick, the same as Bock.

It appears that Bock was at the top end of band 3 and Rischa and Brown were at the bottom end.

Them's the breaks.

Let's all move on.

I disagree. Some things you can take, other things you gotta fight for.

The club should be fighting.

Honestly... someone deserves to be fired at the Crows for their handling of this. Seriously... this is the type of thing that gets a board fired. Who the hell decided this wasn't worth fighting for??? Honestly... these clowns are being paid bloody good money to work in an industry many would kill for and their behaviour smells of corporate fat cats that can't be arsed. This is a F***ing scandal!

How in gods earth does Campbell Brown = Nathan Bock. Campbell Brown is lucky to be playing AFL at this stage of his career... let alone getting 1st round picks.

Take it easy Guys. As I understand the Crows are in a no win situation after being not so subtly reminded of their chances of a successful appeal.

Unfortunately this is the way the AFL operates these days.
Basically as a club if you have a grievance regarding any decision by the AFL then your only avenue of appeal is through a rigged setup guaranteed to make you look ridiculous.
There is no fighting the system.
Vlad has made sure of that.
If you are angry about this then put it on "Vlad the impaler":mad:

Two years ago Bock was an AA CHB and an outstanding player for the Crows. The last two seasons, however, we've seen Bock play just 17 of a possible 46 games. And when he has played, he has not had anywhere near the same level of impact as he had in 2008. Do the trade in 2008 and he'd be a Band 1 player without doubt. 2010 is a completely different story.

Two years ago Bock was an AA CHB and an outstanding player for the Crows. The last two seasons, however, we've seen Bock play just 17 of a possible 46 games. And when he has played, he has not had anywhere near the same level of impact as he had in 2008. Do the trade in 2008 and he'd be a Band 1 player without doubt. 2010 is a completely different story.

Except your reasoning skips the fact the mofo was paid 3/4 of a million dollars a season... is currently suffering from ZERO injuries and is set to be one of their very best players.

Even forgetting that...

HAWTHORN have just received the very same compensation for a worthless, slow, poorly skilled hack in Campbell Brown as we did for an AA, B&F uninjured recent 150+ dream team point achiever (vs WB).

What's worse... is that the Crows decided to throw up the white flag before compensation was announced for the Hawthorn dud...

I'm sorry but that makes me ill... if they think they can give nothing but lip service to what is an obvious cause then they may as well not even exist. I have supported the AFC board for a while... but this just stinks.

Think it over and over and over again... and the same conclusion is reached. We have been taken for an absolute ride with this system.

Not saying that I agree Brown is worth more than Bock (I am wrapped at the pick we got) but I think more than Pay and Age are taken into account i.e. Im pretty sure that as a premiership player Brown gets a boost over Bock.

What disappoints me is that there seems to be no more weighting given to the harder positions to fill. Intuitively I would have assumed a CHB is worth more than a utility FP/BP player but obviously not according to the formula.

Stiff shit if Brown's a premiership player! Should not be taken into consideration. Does that make every player that's played in a premiership more valuable? Give me a frickin break. VFL can go suck a big one.

I believe we should fight for this, but it won't do any good. We all know the AFL is very stubborn when it comes to issues like this. They'd hate to admit they were wrong ;).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

recent 150+ dream team point achiever (vs WB).

ooooooh... DT points, seriously.

The compo isnt the best, but really its probably a few picks later than what we'd get under normal circumstances. The whole GC concession thing sux, they have far too much going their way. The way the AFL operate we are lucky they decided to award compensation picks at all.

Having had some time to reflect on it (and having fired off several emails to Phil Harper :eek:) I've come to the conclusion that I don't mind us not going on with the appeal. It's clearly a system designed to serve the AFL and not the clubs, and it would be a waste of time and effort.

However, what I would like to see would be the Crows actually making some noise about this. Call a press conference or two to voice your anger with the AFL over setting up such a rigged appeals system. Arrange a radio interview or two and drop enough anger to get on the back page of the paper for a while. Hell, the Crows would be privy to precisely how much the two players are getting paid, draw attention to the discrepency, and then make the clear point that when they tried to appeal the decision, they were informed that it would go to the same people who made the original decision. I don't think we'll get any change for this situation, but hopefully we can appear to be slightly less soft targets for the next situation.

As for the AFL, I'm not sure I could even manage to write them a letter that wouldn't get immediately thrown away because of profanity. There is no questioning it, though. This is a miscarriage of justice.

So when a fit Bock is AA CHB in 2011, we'll expect another pick, a real first round pick, at the end of next year, right?

Jenny - look at Shaun Burgoyne's value to Hawthorn, compare their careers, ages, injuries etc.

The compo isnt the best, but really its probably a few picks later than what we'd get under normal circumstances. The whole GC concession thing sux, they have far too much going their way. The way the AFL operate we are lucky they decided to award compensation picks at all.

Dreaming.

Josh Gibson, according to this, is a better footballer than Bock.

So is Brown Band 2 or Band 3? Either way it's unfair but if Brown has been determined a band 2 then we have to fight this. Even if we're going to lose it's the principle of standing up for yourself, not taking crap lying down and fighting for what we believe to be right. Brown is the same age as Bock, he is an AA and is on less money at the GC. When fir Bock is a far better player than him. At BEST Brown should be the same band as Bock. The problem is that with Krak being determined band 4 it basically means that any half decent player playing regularly must be band 3. In reality I would have though in terms of the players who are or are rumoured to be GC Bound:

Ablett - Band 1
Bock - Band 2
Rischa - Band 3
Brown - Band 3
Harbrow - tough one but if purely based on age and salary could be band 2 maybe band 3
Krak - Band 4

Unless the not mentioned part of the compensation formula is whether or not a player plays for a Victorian club...

So is Brown Band 2 or Band 3? Either way it's unfair but if Brown has been determined a band 2 then we have to fight this. Even if we're going to lose it's the principle of standing up for yourself, not taking crap lying down and fighting for what we believe to be right. Brown is the same age as Bock, he is an AA and is on less money at the GC. When fir Bock is a far better player than him. At BEST Brown should be the same band as Bock. The problem is that with Krak being determined band 4 it basically means that any half decent player playing regularly must be band 3. In reality I would have though in terms of the players who are or are rumoured to be GC Bound:

Ablett - Band 1
Bock - Band 2
Rischa - Band 3
Brown - Band 3
Harbrow - tough one but if purely based on age and salary could be band 2 maybe band 3
Krak - Band 4

Unless the not mentioned part of the compensation formula is whether or not a player plays for a Victorian club...
Brown has been ruled band 3. To say he is worth anywhere near a Bock or Rischitelli is a freakin joke.

Ablett - Band 1
Bock - Band 2
Rischa - Band 3
Brown - Band 3
Krak - Band 4

Brown has been confirmed as Band 3.

Port were VERY lucky to have Krak assessed as Band 4. He should have been Band 5.

Dreaming.

Josh Gibson, according to this, is a better footballer than Bock.

Gibson wouldn't have been assessed as Band 1 or 2 under the AFL's system presumably?

The compensation system doesn't consider past trade values and nor should it if you consider the fluidity of 'value' i.e how on earth is Cameron Wood worth more than Shane Mumford?

I personally wonder about the appropriateness of a strict criteria, and whether commonsense may be a better option, or indeed whether ST's idea of having the sole criteria as the money the GC has paid a bloke to leave as the most appropriate criteria of assessing their value.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bock Compo - Appeal to the AFC and AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back