Rookie
Sep 19, 2003
Aberfeldie
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Dons
From realfooty (the Age): 16/10
"The Hawks are also working hard to secure another tall defender, Essendon's Mark Bolton, in what would become their compensation for the loss of Jade Rawlings to the Kangaroos.

The Roos and Hawks have virtually agreed on their sides of the bargain - the Roos would part with their first and second draft choices for Rawlings - but Essendon is understood to be holding back on dealing Bolton.

Under the proposed trade, the Dons would receive the Roos' first two picks (9 and 24)."

I think we would do fairly well with this trade. I know Bolton was a top 5 pick, but surely a 9 and 24 could get us a mature quick-footed midfielder. We need to give up something valuable to counter our weaknesses. What do you guys think?

Still not good enough.

A senior player from either Hawthorn or North would be helpful!

For Bolton?..they are being r*ped for him already..you wants us to make them bleed even more?...you are a hard man Pazza...but i like it...go get'em sheeds:D

Originally posted by marcuz
For Bolton?..they are being r*ped for him already..you wants us to make them bleed even more?...you are a hard man Pazza...but i like it...go get'em sheeds:D

My reasoning is simple marcuz...getting 2 draft picks for one player is simply not good enough. It shows the player involved in Bolton a genuine lack of respect and puts us in the great unknown.

We need to get suitable compensation for losing a player, who is a required player, according to no less than Sheedy himself. Basically, if Hawthorn say want him, it has to be a minimum of a player with similar experience, that would fulfil our requirements. If we say got a Richie Vandenberg as compensation, I might be able to wear it.

Originally posted by pazza
My reasoning is simple marcuz...getting 2 draft picks for one player is simply not good enough. It shows the player involved in Bolton a genuine lack of respect and puts us in the great unknown.

We need to get suitable compensation for losing a player, who is a required player, according to no less than Sheedy himself. Basically, if Hawthorn say want him, it has to be a minimum of a player with similar experience, that would fulfil our requirements. If we say got a Richie Vandenberg as compensation, I might be able to wear it.

2 of the best 24 in the draft, including 1 top 10, is more than enough compensation for Bolton. If he was as required as you say he would have been signed up already. The club seem to be well prepared to trade him.

And Vandenberg is not what we need.

I agree - Vandenburg is not what we need.

Shouldn't the club be doing their utmost to keep both Danny and Bolts. Both are young and developing players who are key members of our side.

We also need both these two players to fill the void left by Jimmy when he retires. They are the same height as Jim, can take a mark and are reasonable on the ground. If we let either of them go, it will leave a mark in three years time - mark my words.

Bolts was a number 4 pick and is just starting to show some real potential. Taller players sometimes take a bit longer. Look at Scotty for example. Everyone was dead keen to pack him off to Geelong a few years ago and now he is one of the most valuable players in the team.

Danny tries his guts out each week and can play in a variety of positions. I would hate to see him playing anywhere else

We are not far away from a premiership side. There is no need to make wholesale changes for the sake of it. We just need a little bit of pace, some luck with injuries and we'll be there.

If Winderlich and Welsh come along that will solve the pace question.
Hopefully Rama will be back too.

Trading Bolts and or Jacobs for draft picks is a backward step for the club and will hinder any bid to win a flag in the next 2 years.

And basically 2 years is all we've got, as a team needs a superstar to win a flag and after that there will be no Hird

For the Hawks that deal is essentially Bolton for Rawlings - no thanks.

Even the most stringent Bombers supporters could see that's not equitable for the Hawks.

That would just about be a bigger trading coup than luering McPhee and Cupido last year IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i agree that bolton has 'heart', and i would like to keep him.
but if he is asking for a wage that we simply cannot afford (and considering his season in 2003, he should not be paid all that handsomely), then we would be crazy not to pull the trigger on this one.

i don't think he is entitled to ask for much more at all. he was extremely inconsistent all season, and probably went backwards from where he was at the end of 2002. no doubt constantly getting shifted around by sheedy is partly responsible for his inconsistency, but he isn't the only one.

Originally posted by pazza
Typical response Adge

What is that supposted to mean?

He has "heart" you say? No pazza ... Hird has heart. Jason Johnson has heart. Mr. Bolton isn't even in the same bal-park. So what if he is "such a great clubman". You should know why clubmen and coaches awards were invented.

If we get 9 and 24 for him, i will dance in the street. Not to see the back of him, but to think we could stooge another club so badly.

Originally posted by topdon
What is that supposted to mean?

He has "heart" you say? No pazza ... Hird has heart. Jason Johnson has heart. Mr. Bolton isn't even in the same bal-park. So what if he is "such a great clubman". You should know why clubmen and coaches awards were invented.

If we get 9 and 24 for him, i will dance in the street. Not to see the back of him, but to think we could stooge another club so badly.

Do I really need to remind you of Peter Bradbury and Steve Carey? Both these guys loved this club to bits and got seriously screwed.

Yes Jimmy and JJ have heart, but, they are also champions..something with sets them apart from most. But, it's the guys like Bolts, much like Carey was, who you would rely upon in a crisis, because they wouldn't waver. (the old who would you want in your trenches fighting for you situation).

bolts may well be a good person to be beside in the trenches. but if i want to win a game of footy, he would not be the first player i would look to.

he has a role to play in the team, but he is not indispensible. sure, he is a great clubman, but you can't keep a good clubman ahead of more important players (solomon, hille etc.)

Bolton may be a great bloke, may have heart, may have a big **** as well, but as a footballer, he's not all that crash hot. He went top 5 in a draft, and the club has put 8 years of work into developing him for stuff all return.

If he's holding the club to the wall, then trade him, and if we get pick 9 and 24 for him, or even pick 9, then i'll join the dancing in the street. Dean Solomon had the performance on the board to hold out for a little bit more money, Bolton doesn't, he's had 2 lukewarm seasons in 8 years at the club, and is in no position to be dictating terms.

Originally posted by Cupestar
Apparently this deal has fallen through cos we were a bit too greedy about it

I heard that too, i hope it does go through for the kangas sake.
Have you heard whether we are doing anything with s harvey, maybe include him in a deal or something

Remove this Banner Ad

Bolton for picks 9 and 24

Remove this Banner Ad

Back