Bombers set to miss 2013 finals. (The Age, Caroline Wilson, 23/8)

Remove this Banner Ad

Penalty is for triggering AFL's 1.6 clause - no one knows if Essendon will have players after the ASADA report.

I tend to agree with this. The AFL and EFC will agree on punishments relating to the governance issues at the club during the period in question.

Any drug related issues will be handled by ASADA at the end of their investigation. If I was an EFC supporter I would be more worried about ASADA/WADA than the AFL.

I think this is possibly the first part of a 1-2 combo punch. The punishment being suggested seems to cover the 'disrepute' and 'poor governance' issue but it really doesn't address the issue of taking a banned substance should it be proven. The second punch would be whatever ASADA/WADA decide to do.

It would probably be best case scenario if Essendon solely lose their place in the finals based on a season where they wouldn't be the least be competitive if they were to play anyway.

Surely there has to be more to it then that? That "punishment" in isolation is so weak that it'd probably benefit Essendon which is not what we want assuming they are guality. .

Just wondering exactly who you want to punish. Dank is gone. Robinson is gone. Evans is gone. Robson is gone. Looking increasingly likely that Hird will go. Most agree that the players are victims. We should and almost certainly will miss finals. Who is left. What is represented by "the club" All those who should be held accountable have lost the jobs in unpleasant circumstances.

The EFC still has to be punished as a club, regardless of what happens to individuals.

looks like paying a few players under the table with slightly oily pizza money is far worse than potentially giving your players cancer. Nice one AFL.

To be fair, take away 3 quality players from that 1995 squad and I doubt they win the flag given Silvagni, Bradley & Brown were pivotal in helping Carlton make the finals.
They very well may have walked off to another club much earlier depending on how many years they were getting paid under the table.

Do agree though, doesn't match what Essendon have apparently being doing in recent years.

This is only the beginning of a whole world of pain for EFC. When ASADA and the player's lawyers have finished with them the carcass might not even be worth picking over. Congratulations Hirdy.

I can't possibly see how they're going to escape drug sanctions from ASADA. There is concrete proof in that charge document of the club purchasing PEDs, with a whole lot of circumstantial evidence that they then injected those PEDs into a large number of players.

When amateur players cop 2 year bans for far, far less it is really impossible to see how they could escape sanctions even if it was found they never actually used those drugs. The intent to use them should be enough if we are going by precedent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So does this mean that if they lose 2013 points WADA will forgive potential doping violations? Am I reading all this correctly?
ASADA investigation isn't finalised, I'd be very surprised if some players aren't banned.

So does this mean that if they lose 2013 points WADA will forgive potential doping violations? Am I reading all this correctly?

No. The ASADA investigation continues and could issue infractions against players any time in the next eight years, depending what evidence they have to make the case. WADA can intervene if they don't think ASADA have done the right thing. That would be against individual players, though - this AFL penalty is the main game for hitting the club with club-wide sanctions (although of course if a number of players are found to have doped, that has a big impact on the club).

Surly the AFL is right in dealing down an "interim" punishment based on an interim report?

Yeah this. Once the full report comes down they may lose half their team through suspensions anyway. Then the two or doping offences in the same team rule kicks in, separate to the disrepute charge. The AFL Commission can then hand down the full penalty, with whatever interim penalty already handed down they get a credit for.

This is about excluding them from the finals in 2013.

The players will get off.

It's all part of "the deal" the AFL did with ASADA.

This is why the NRL have steam coming out of their ears.

No.

The AFL are only punishing them for bringing the game into disrepute due to their internal processes.

ASADA and WADA don't care if they brought the game into disrepute. They care if they gave dodgy drugs. ASADA and WADA haven't determined if any punishment from them is forthcoming

Remove this Banner Ad

Bombers set to miss 2013 finals. (The Age, Caroline Wilson, 23/8)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back