Bombers set to miss 2013 finals. (The Age, Caroline Wilson, 23/8)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm happy to lose the 2013 premiership points and keep the draft picks and start afresh in 2014. I reckon that is the right way to go as far as the long term future of the EFC goes.

Short term pain for long term gain.

Keep draft picks.. Er no.

I'm happy to lose the 2013 premiership points and keep the draft picks and start afresh in 2014. I reckon that is the right way to go as far as the long term future of the EFC goes.

That punishment would alter reality too much, which makes it not much of a penalty.

These charges need to be hit with a harder punishment than anything the league has ever seen.

After the player exodus and player and manager law suits,

Wait, there's WADA on the horizon

And what did you propose for Adelaide's salary cap cheating?
Presumably all players have one foot surgically removed, and no draft picks for the next 20yrs.
After all Adelaide actually cheated to gain an advantage.
Essendon are accused of conduct unbecoming.

Essendon engaged in unbecoming conduct to gain an advantage.

Presumably all players have one foot surgically removed, and no draft picks for the next 20yrs.

This is FAR FAR worse than what Adelaide did.

The thing I don't get in all this is how all the Essendon fans can just disregard the absolute contempt their players have been dealt with throughout this whole sordid affair. You should be ropeable.

I can't possibly see how they're going to escape drug sanctions from ASADA. There is concrete proof in that charge document of the club purchasing PEDs, with a whole lot of circumstantial evidence that they then injected those PEDs into a large number of players.

They wont, that is still to come.

Sorry, I didn't read the article. But if it did come down to a trade off between the picks and the points then I'd rather lose the points.

No trade off. It's not a case of what sort of penalties you would like it's more a case of what penalties you are going to get.

I am glad ASADA and WADA are still to hand down their report, I am sick of Bomber supporters wanting a deal done now that charges have been laid, I actually want the truth to come out, no back room deals, from what I have seen so far there is very tough times ahead for the EFC and the players regardless of any short term deal with the AFL.

Essendon are accused of actually cheating to gain an advantage.

Stop inventing a distinction between 'Essendon' and 'Essendon staff, acting on behalf of Essendon, at Essendon premises and using Essendon funds'. There is no such distinction.

I am sure you would be happy with that.
17 other clubs wont be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course you'd be happy with that. You'd be happy with a $44 fine and the loss of your 2013 Round 5 pick too.

What Essendon has done is unprecedented in the history of the VFL/AFL, and by the time this is over you won't be happy with the punishment/s at all, both from the AFL and later from ASADA. Be assured, there will be no outcome that you'll be 'happy' with.

But surely that guilty itch way way down in the bottom of your gut, you know, where it feels as if your pancreas is pulling upon a grappling hook caught on the underside of your aorta, would eventually cause you to reconsider where, or rather how your misguided loyalty and blind devotion lies?

I know it will, I cheated on my girlfriend when I was 15, yet I still get regular night tremors due to this act.
Given the choice, Id cheat on my first love again every second night before buying into the deluded faith of your ilk.
She was a Bombers fan too BTW.

Sorry, I didn't read the article. But if it did come down to a trade off between the picks and the points then I'd rather lose the points.

Ah gotcha, and I can understand that. But it HAS to be more. If you dont lose draft picks too then you have to play for nothing next year, if you are in the comp. IF you are in the comp then you have to be able to play for points next year or its a farce.

Draft picks, loss of points for this year, no finals, huge fine, admin banned, and then wait for ASADA to determine the players fate. Absolute minimum.

Takes the sting out of the R23 clash between Port and Carlton.
Not really, both teams would like to make the 8 on their own merits, not default. We are playing in our prison bar, last game at footy park. Should be enough for some sting.

But surely that guilty itch way way down in the bottom of your gut, you know, where it feels as if your pancreas is pulling upon a grappling hook caught on the underside of your aorta, would eventually cause you to reconsider where, or rather how your misguided loyalty and blind devotion lies?

I know it will, I cheated on my girlfriend when I was 15, yet I still get regular night tremors due to this act.

Given the choice, Id cheat on my first love again every second night before buying into the deluded faith of your ilk.
She was a Bombers fan too BTW.

You gotta move on.

To be fair, take away 3 quality players from that 1995 squad and I doubt they win the flag given Silvagni, Bradley & Brown were pivotal in helping Carlton make the finals.
They very well may have walked off to another club much earlier depending on how many years they were getting paid under the table.

Do agree though, doesn't match what Essendon have apparently being doing in recent years.

At that time everyone was over the Cap that could afford it. That's why they had a moratorium for those that come clean. That's why I've never jumped on Essendon in 1993 given the rest of us were doing it too.

Hird should be banned from coaching for life.

Yep.
Reported on SEN that he AFL want a 12 month suspension - Essendon only want 6.
It shits me that Essendon are allowed to negotiate their punishment, yet Carlton got hammered by the AFL. Not saying we didn't deserve it, but what Essendon has done is far worse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bombers set to miss 2013 finals. (The Age, Caroline Wilson, 23/8)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back