Boomer saying he'll be the last to play 400 games

Will there be another 400 gamer after Boomer

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

That was true of someone like Sam Newman getting to 300, but not these days. Fletcher and Silk both carried to their 400th game, the other 3 got there under their own steam.

Burgoyne's barely touched it for 2 years.

Silk is there, because we have a young inexperinced backline, and we needed him to avoid chaos. He has done what has been asked of him, to lead and run the backline since Hodge left, and Clarko often has thrown him mid and fwd over that time. No Doubt he has slowed, but you would expect that. His footy smarts make up for it the majority of the time, and in no way have we carried him. The THREE games he has been medical sub this year is a perfect use for a 38 year old who has spent his career playing all three lines, and is ultra reliable in what he does. He was never going to play 22 games this year.

With the way we have developed our backs this year, he can retire in peace, as a AFL hall of famer directly responsible for getting our team into 2 of the three grand finals we won in a row.

Silk is there, because we have a young inexperinced backline, and we needed him to avoid chaos. He has done what has been asked of him, to lead and run the backline since Hodge left, and Clarko often has thrown him mid and fwd over that time. No Doubt he has slowed, but you would expect that. His footy smarts make up for it the majority of the time, and in no way have we carried him. The THREE games he has been medical sub this year is a perfect use for a 38 year old who has spent his career playing all three lines, and is ultra reliable in what he does. He was never going to play 22 games this year.

With the way we have developed our backs this year, he can retire in peace, as a AFL hall of famer directly responsible for getting our team into 2 of the three grand finals we won in a row.

Rubbish, he's being carried. How can you say he runs and leads the backline and needed to avoid chaos when he's the medical sub so potentially , as in round 4, he doesn't even get on the ground? He went from 16 touches a game in 2019 to 10 touches per game last year to 11 this year. He kicked 11.2 from 13 games last year to 0.0 from 10 games this year. He's being carried there like Bernie in Weekend at Bernie's.

Rubbish, he's being carried. How can you say he runs and leads the backline and needed to avoid chaos when he's the medical sub so potentially , as in round 4, he doesn't even get on the ground? He went from 16 touches a game in 2019 to 10 touches per game last year to 11 this year. He kicked 11.2 from 13 games last year to 0.0 from 10 games this year. He's being carried there like Bernie in Weekend at Bernie's.

He is 38 FFS. Do you expect him to play 22 games?

My point is that he is performing the role he was kept on the list to do.

and Gary Rohan last year played a similar position and averaged less of the ball (8 touches), fewer tackles, fewer goal assists and only 0.3 of a goal more despite playing in a Grand Final team compared to a bottom 4 team. Rohan is over 30 too.

Yet, Rohan got more games than Burgoyne did (and don't get me started on Dahlhaus).

The point being, all sides have role players that offer something to the benefit of the team as a whole, even if they are in the bottom 6-8 bracket.

Edit: Not to mention, in your average for this year you have included his 3 sub games, including one where he never took the field. Take those 3 out and his disposal numbers are in the mid teens (whilst his career average is 17.7). This puts him ahead of other Hawthorn players (and Geelong players) getting regular games. He is nowhere near as bad as you are making out.

Last edited:
Turns 36 in just over a month, when he will also likely play his 350th game. Will need to play three seasons after this one. I think it' s possible.
Some players who are quick lose a step and become effective.

Mundy was never quick but has a tank which you can maintain.

His skills and smarts are elite and the new rules opening up the game highlights his kicking skills.

He looks after himself and if Fremantle can load manage him correctly he will get to 400 games.

By the way, massive underrated by the AFL world.

Yeah you’d think Pendlebury gets there pretty comfortably. He’s also prime for the later career switch to a half back flank due to his skill set, which could give him a year or two more.

Harvey must be at or past 500 senior games now? 43 going on 25

View attachment 1166083

In many ways, it's a travesty that he only played 426 games. Had North's list not been rooted and Harvey pushed into retirement, he almost certainly would have played between 450-500 games.

Like all North supporters, I have my hopes and dreams on Cooper Harvey playing 700+.

In many ways, it's a travesty that he only played 426 games. Had North's list not been rooted and Harvey pushed into retirement, he almost certainly would have played between 450-500 games.

Like all North supporters, I have my hopes and dreams on Cooper Harvey playing 700+.
Also, I don't understand why a team in contention didn't take a chance with an one year contact.

I guess that most teams recruit for the future but sometimes winning in present is important ie Geelong.

I thought Pendlebury was in the 'one year too long' category on bigfooty? Now we're talking like he has three seasons left.
Maybe because Buckley said the guy is playing with cracked ribs? He’s still Collingwood’s best player imo

Also, I don't understand why a team in contention didn't take a chance with an one year contact.

I guess that most teams recruit for the future but sometimes winning in present is important ie Geelong.

I think Harvey mentioned a few clubs reached out, but he decided he'd rather play with his brother instead.

Burgoyne came on for the last quarter and picked up 9 possessions at 100% efficiency.
And the history books remember that game as being of equal value to the ones before where he didn't just have to play four quarters but back up that for three months at a time.

Would the AFL recognise if a club who had a player on 99 games, retired a while ago was listed by the club again in the rookie draft then stepped onto the field for 30 seconds at the end of a game to push him up to 100 and qualify his sons for the Father Son system?

Why would that 100th game achievement be discounted when 400 will be celebrated, rightfully for the 350 before it, not the 50 seeking a milestone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And the history books remember that game as being of equal value to the ones before where he didn't just have to play four quarters but back up that for three months at a time.

Would the AFL recognise if a club who had a player on 99 games, retired a while ago was listed by the club again in the rookie draft then stepped onto the field for 30 seconds at the end of a game to push him up to 100 and qualify his sons for the Father Son system?

Why would that 100th game achievement be discounted when 400 will be celebrated, rightfully for the 350 before it, not the 50 seeking a milestone.

I know you are trying to make a point.. Just no idea what it is?

People need to take the medical sub issue with the AFL, it's their policy not Burgoyne's.

Plenty of other players are getting games to count for this and father son/daughter tallies but people are only going to sook at the milestone games? Sounds like fun. :$ :straining:

With improvements in sports science and medical treatment you can guarantee there will be more players passing 400.

Maybe not from those currently playing and maybe not in our lifetime. But it will happen.

Tennis is a good example.

Why aren't we praising Burgoyne for his longevity? Gross. Not good this year, no doubt - but he was great over the course of his career. Amazing at his best, even.

As for anyone else hitting it, I believe Danger could do it. 31, and will play 300 early next year. He's 6'2 but leaps like a cat and must be near on 95kg. He can play forward, infact some of his best footy has been played forward. Dusty also a possibility.

No other obvious candidates. You need everything to go right, Eddie Betts was tracking for it - however, he has had a sharp deterioration in recent years. Will hit 350 this year, and might go around next year as a limited game time player, a mentor to the likes of Owies and Honey. Even with all that, it won't be enough to get the 400.

Firstly, the 'history books' are littered with players who reached milestones despite spending large chunks (or entire games) on the bench. For the first 90 years of our game, the interchange players barely played at all and usually only for injury.

Secondly, the red and green vest existed for a few years too and no one seemed to kick up a stink about that or tarnish legacies (Boomer Harvey has been sub too fwiw).

Thirdly, and most importantly, Burgoyne has earnt his way to 400. If the medical sub didn't exist, he would still be getting games throughout the season anyway. Who is he keeping out? Conor Nash? We're playing just about everyone who shows any VFL form anyway (and even some that don't). He may well end up playing over 400 full games regardless (not that I think 2 or 3 'extras' in 20 years is the big deal people are making it out to be)

Remove this Banner Ad

Boomer saying he'll be the last to play 400 games

Back