Boomer saying he'll be the last to play 400 games

Will there be another 400 gamer after Boomer

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

what about the ‘old days’ when being on the bench meant being on the bench most of the time?

Sam Newman spent 4 years on the bench at a time when that meant rarely more than a quarter worth of playing time.

Burgoyne has had 1 game where he didnt play, 1 game where he played a quarter and one game where he played a half.

Out of 399 games.

I hope he plays the season and ends on 404.

That was true of someone like Sam Newman getting to 300, but not these days. Fletcher and Silk both carried to their 400th game, the other 3 got there under their own steam.

Burgoyne's barely touched it for 2 years.

Hawthorn has barely touched the ball in 2 years. The entire team are down. Also, who is he keeping out ?

KB and Tuck both fell away in their final year. I dont think too many at any amount of games had as good a year in their last year as previous years.

Compare Burgoyne to Buddy...

Sam Newman spent 4 years on the bench at a time when that meant rarely more than a quarter worth of playing time.

Burgoyne has had 1 game where he didnt play, 1 game where he played a quarter and one game where he played a half.

Out of 399 games.

I hope he plays the season and ends on 404.

Burgoyne 404

Current players over 300 games ...

Burgoyne 399
Mundy 346
Betts 343
Pendlebury 330
Selwood 324
Franklin 310
Jones 302

Haven’t read whole thread but assuming the talk is about Selwood. Not sure he will remember a thing about playing footy though if he gets that far. Maybe just enough to sue the AFL for brain injury

Haven’t read whole thread but assuming the talk is about Selwood. Not sure he will remember a thing about playing footy though if he gets that far. Maybe just enough to sue the AFL for brain injury

he can always get a job on the set of the walking dead

jokes aside, I truly fear for joel and other similar players. We have seen the devastating impact on players and their families.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Firstly, he has only had 1 game where he didn't step on the field so a completely moot point (and only 3 overall where he has been involved as a sub).

Secondly, it was a silly opinion to begin with. In the first 80 years of football, no one got close to 400 games. We've now had 3 get there in the last 10 or so years.

It's similar for 300 gamers. Something like 70% of them have come in the last 20 years (in a 130 year comp).

The idea that it now impossible (or even that it has gotten way harder than yesteryear) is not at all borne out by the evidence.

Yeah I'm reading my post now and getting that it doesn't come off as the non-serious quip I intended it to be. You're 100% right. There was another player who reached the 400 game milestone like a couple of weeks before he did, it was never gonna be a smart take. I reckon Pendles or Mundy are some chance from current players too. But he also probably put about 30 seconds of thought into it.

Selwood a massive chance. Ends year likely on 320 if not 321-22. Would need to go 4 years even if the Cats collapse and still playing high quality footy.

Honestly, decent chance. He's weirdly durable and could stay in the side as long as he's a competent lockdown defender and keeps his mistakes under control.

When's he going to start doing that?

Joel Selwood sitting on 833 frees for - if he plays 400 games we might just have a 1000 free kick getter.

Pendlebury on 426, Mundy on 230.

Selwood a massive chance. Ends year likely on 320 if not 321-22. Would need to go 4 years even if the Cats collapse and still playing high quality footy.
For his own sake I pray he doesn't get to 400. Would like to see him retire before he does even more damage to his head.

63790012.jpg

he can always get a job on the set of the walking dead

jokes aside, I truly fear for joel and other similar players. We have seen the devastating impact on players and their families.
for every joel selwood that has played 300 + games with their head over the football there is hundreds as well playing suburban and country football with similar stories. then there's boxing, gridiron, ufc etc etc

Boomer saying he'll be the last to play 400 games

Back