BOOO-ing Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a conservative, I'm apolitical/politically neutral. I simply made an observation as to certain aspects of politics from an outsider's perspective.

Your question is void, because no side of politics is my side.

The left side of politics is a victim-athon whereby the group who're perceived to be the biggest victims have the most power, because their issues in the victim hierarchy require more attention. With so many bleeding heart do-gooders and ideologues around makes Goodes' crying woe is me a case of preaching to the choir.

Yeah you sound really "apolitical/politically neutral."

Bit late to the party here and I'm probably not going to be able to say anything that hasn't been said already but here I go on a ramble anyway.

I don't think the problem is the "I boo Goodes because I don't like the way he conducts himself on the field" group, because they're entitled to have that opinion and entitled to boo as well, even if I and others think they shouldn't.
I don't think the problem is the outright racists either. There are always going to be racist idiots and there's not much you can do to change their views. Usually they're pretty quiet about it, at the football at least.
The problem is the people who exist somewhere in the middle. They say some variation of "get on with it", "toughen up", "get a thicker skin", "you've heard worse", "it's just a boo", "stop making a big deal out of it" and all that sort of stuff. These are the people that I suspect make up the loudest contingent of the booers.
It is just so absolutely lacking in empathy and human decency. It's the dark side of the blokey, working class, "she'll be right", "rub some dirt in it", tall poppy syndrome suffering culture that we've developed and often take pride in.
We tell people to stop whinging and deal with it.
We tell men that they shouldn't express their feelings, even though men are three times more likely to commit suicide. We need beyondblue campaigns to point out how dangerous this is.
We tell anyone who confronts things with racist, misogynistic or homophobic undertones that it's "political correctness gone mad".
You see it every f***ing day it's that pervasive. You see it in the comments on every news article on this topic. Every second talking head seems to hold this opinion.
Here you have a guy whose only crime was expressing his culture and his opinion on Australia's history, as well as pointing out someone who called him an ape. Wayne Carey had an affair with his captain's missus, glassed his partner and assaulted a police officer and he gets a better reception than Goodes.

Even if you take out the racists, the message is clear: "Don't express your culture to us, don't express your opinion and don't take a stance on racism. Put up and shut up because straya yeah". And yet some wonder why he's upset?
I did a mediation course last week and one of the techniques in mediation is to ask one party "how do you think the other party feels?" and "how would you feel if you were in their position?". Even if you don't like Adam Goodes the player, he doesn't deserve to feel like absolute shit. If you value your right to boo, for whatever reason you have, over him being able to play without feeling like everyone endorses that message, then I don't know what to say to you other than to implore you to think about those questions a little more.

Even if we step outside the moral argument it doesn't make sense to boo. The club is absolutely livid. My mum had meetings with Trevor Nisbett (CEO) and Richard Godfrey (COO) the day before yesterday and said that they were "absolutely beside themselves" and "completely embarrassed" by this whole affair. If you value your right to boo over the club's and the WA football public's reputation then I don't know what to say to you.

Fantastic post and along with some of the other great posts I fear that some of the racial pain runs too deep in some people to truly appreciate what you have said .

Ive lost count of the not racist but <says something racist> posts ive seen on facebook

Along with the ripping meme that cherry picks a couple of damning words from each speech hes made to make it look like hes a hate merchant - that people have been using to prove - "hes a flog" and its not race related.

Before this whole booing goodes thing endlessly came up id happily boo him - if he took a dive or milked a free - love having a good boo at the footy.

But because of that small percentage of race baiters that are out there keeping this thing going - magnifying it - letting him know - well i choose not to stand with those people.

And make no mistake - thats whats happening

I'm pretty impartial to all this, and also well and truly over it, but I think the main issue is people don't want to be told what to do and this is why it has been blown up out of all proportion...

I'll put forward this scenario... [INSERT TEAM HERE] v Sydney in the 2015 Grand Final. [TEAM] Are 4 points up with 15 seconds left on the clock, and Goodes takes a mark 40m out near the boundary. Siren sounds. Do you boo? The AFL, Players Association et al. have said that any booing of Goodes is racist, but in the spirit of competition all a supporter can do to get their team across the line is support their side and jeer etc the other side to put them off their game, being the whole idea behind the 'home crowd advantage'...

By saying you can't boo one particular player, the butterfly effect could be huge.

I'm pretty impartial to all this, and also well and truly over it, but I think the main issue is people don't want to be told what to do and this is why it has been blown up out of all proportion...

I'll put forward this scenario... [INSERT TEAM HERE] v Sydney in the 2015 Grand Final. [TEAM] Are 4 points up with 15 seconds left on the clock, and Goodes takes a mark 40m out near the boundary. Siren sounds. Do you boo? The AFL, Players Association et al. have said that any booing of Goodes is racist, but in the spirit of competition all a supporter can do to get their team across the line is support their side and jeer etc the other side to put them off their game, being the whole idea behind the 'home crowd advantage'...

By saying you can't boo one particular player, the butterfly effect could be huge.
I boo most opposition players who are lining up for goal.

As do I, however under the scenario that the AFL has now set up, does that then by association make us racist?

I love how the deliberately dense seek to obfuscate.

We are talking about a player who has been booed any time he is near the ball by every teams dans for however many rounds

But no - try and conflate that with trying to put someone off a shot at goal

Mah name is goldfish gump

People call me goldfish gump

Even if you take out the racists, the message is clear: "Don't express your culture to us, don't express your opinion and don't take a stance on racism. Put up and shut up because straya yeah".

That could be the biggest load of shit I have ever read. You're now generalising a 50,000 strong AFL crowd, and this "clear" message is just wank.

Are you saying he has gone the best way about it to spread his opinion ? And you seriously think people in the crowd are thinking "wow, get this culture away from me" and not "why the hell is this a war dance at me as I just paid 80$ to come watch my team play football, i'm not out there competing against him".

And yet some wonder why he's upset?
I did a mediation course last week and one of the techniques in mediation is to ask one party "how do you think the other party feels?" and "how would you feel if you were in their position?". Even if you don't like Adam Goodes the player, he doesn't deserve to feel like absolute shit. If you value your right to boo, for whatever reason you have, over him being able to play without feeling like everyone endorses that message, then I don't know what to say to you other than to implore you to think about those questions a little more.

So I should be able to read through your post history and read all your posts of uproar about the crowds booing the umpires ? I'm not advocating booing Goodes into retirement but now is a pretty convenient time for people to get onto your high horse.

Even if we step outside the moral argument it doesn't make sense to boo. The club is absolutely livid. My mum had meetings with Trevor Nisbett (CEO) and Richard Godfrey (COO) the day before yesterday and said that they were "absolutely beside themselves" and "completely embarrassed" by this whole affair. If you value your right to boo over the club's and the WA football public's reputation then I don't know what to say to you.

I like to boo. It's fun, booing at opposition players as they're lining up for goal or if they're thugs and have taken out a bloke behind play. It's sport, it's competition, I want my team to win and while we're playing this team they are the enemy.

Post pics of mum plz

I love how the deliberately dense seek to obfuscate.

We are talking about a player who has been booed any time he is near the ball by every teams dans for however many rounds

But no - try and conflate that with trying to put someone off a shot at goal

Mah name is goldfish gump

People call me goldfish gump
That's what booing is, trying to put someone off. Like it or not, by coming out the way they have the AFL has divided supporters - that is pretty clear from the previous 46 pages on our board, let alone what is sitting on the AFL forum. I applaud Goodes for his work with Aboriginal relations, and I rarely boo at the football. Doesn't mean I should be classified as a racist/bigot if I do decide to boo (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-29/boo-goodes-and-you-show-you-are-a-bigot-says-chris-scott).

And if you are going to take a personal pot-shot, at least check your spelling.

Just to kick the ants nest.

Now performing the 'War' dance to the crowd is a racial act. (the dance supposedly is of cultural and racial significance to indigenous Australians even if it's history is very short and debatable about it's relevance). If only people of that race perform the dance and only for the specific reason that is a culturally significant war dance.

Right so people are in agreement with that in general. Now. It was performed directed at the crowd by goodes and then by jetta. Now to quote Adam Goodes. Also the whole upwards fist over a horizontal arm is not necessarily a simple up yours finger it normally denotes someone saying **** you.

Goodes added that while the war dance was aimed at “the opposition”, he would not have done it against any of Carlton’s Aboriginal players — part of his actual opposition on the field. “I’m not going to go up to (Carlton’s) Chris Yarran and do it because he’d actually be part of the war cry.”

Right so if Adam has confirmed that he wouldn't do it to an Indigenous Australian but is happy to do it to the crowd with the inference that another indigenous Australian would be a part of the War Cry / their war party then this is not a celebration (which was a load of shit and it was never in any way possible for it to be) but is a Racist act towards a group of people who are of any racial background other than that of being an Indigenous Australian.

Therefore it's less of a bow draw to say that in the supposed terms of "anyone booing adam goodes is a racist" that in fact Adam Goodes himself turned the booing from just because people didn't like him and the way he played the game (lots of incidents shown), or that because they think he is a hypocrite (again lots of incidents shown) and that in fact Adam Goodes made it a racial issue and that he himself is a racist.

Boo everyone equally

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry to intrude. I have not booed him but can understand why people would. If it offends him then it should be stopped. What I do understand if Adam feels the way he does why did he accept Australian of the year.

It was interesting Michael Johnson was booed every time he went near the cricket ball . Its a crowd tactic to try and mentally disintegrate a dangerous player . Michael Johnson then roared in and took 2 wickets with brutal bouncers , used that so called negative energy . Its a Boo for goodness sake . Goodes is a sook and idf Swans were playing better it would motivate them . Now its and excuse for Goodes poor form and even aborigines are saying man up .

It was interesting Michael Johnson was booed every time he went near the cricket ball . Its a crowd tactic to try and mentally disintegrate a dangerous player . Michael Johnson then roared in and took 2 wickets with brutal bouncers , used that so called negative energy . Its a Boo for goodness sake . Goodes is a sook and idf Swans were playing better it would motivate them . Now its and excuse for Goodes poor form and even aborigines are saying man up .
who's Michael Johnson?

I can't be bothered looking but has Adam Goodes actually come out and said that he feels the booing is racism?

Jonathan Thurstons did a interview and said if Goodes says he feel that it is then it is (which I disagree with entirely) but also said that the fans could be booing because he has milked a free or something.

I reflect back on the article from last year where Goodes was fine with the booing, he embraced it to a point of it being somewhat a show of respect that if they are booing then he must be doing something right.

Fast forward a year and it is now seemingly race related booing. I wonder if Adam Goodes went through stages of say someone with grief and if he got to the step that perhaps people are booing because they don't like me or if he skipped that step and has gone directly to it's racist? Maybe he hasn't got to that step yet of realizing maybe he just isn't liked.

BvvE0TSCUAAAzgV.jpg

Am I disliked?

No, it's the fans that are racist.

I'm not a conservative, I'm apolitical/politically neutral. I simply made an observation as to certain aspects of politics from an outsider's perspective.

Your question is void, because no side of politics is my side.
The fact that you keep labelling people who disagree with you SJW's might suggest that you aren't quite as politically neutral as you claim ;)

Sorry to intrude. I have not booed him but can understand why people would. If it offends him then it should be stopped. What I do understand if Adam feels the way he does why did he accept Australian of the year.
Have you actually read and/or heard his Australian of the Year speech. It's nothing like what many are claiming it is - particularly the "invasion day" part that people cling to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back