Bowden's tactics

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon should of won it, 2 goals 7 in the last cost us. It would be fair to say that we would of won with a full bench and mcveigh. Im not one to say that too much

Count yourself lucky tigers

No surprise why Choco doesn't rate him a few weeks ago...

Its within the rules, doesn't mean its the right thing to do though.

Yeah the right thing to do is kick to a 50/50, with the chance of the ball sailing back over your head for a goal, ending finals aspirations there and then.

Yep that's the right thing to do.

LOL! Can you hear yourself speak? You sound ridiculous and full of soure grapes.

What a joke you are.

So if it happens again in the future ... could the opposition player go over the mark and give away a 50 ?

Yep thats what I would do, for every little tactic that is new there is always a way to get around it. Smart play today by Richmond.

Disgrace.

That's why he his thought of as a soft, cheap, front running player.

There'll be a rule change for this next year. It's a blight on the game and it soured an otherwise great game.

Tantrum.jpg

:D

Using someone else's example.

Team A is down by 12 points with 1.30 - 2 minutes reamaining. Team B has the kick in, they do a "Bowden" 11 times and waste the remaining minutes.

You don't have a problem with this?

They earned the right to do it because they were good enough to get 2 goals up.

Stop sooking.

I agree the rule probably should be changed but the team has earned the right to do it because they have a lead. Sour grapes.

I don't think it was a calculated tactic by Bowden. He just didn't want to turn it over and there was no-one at all to kick the ball to. When a man got free, he kicked it out. It was level-headed play and he shouldn't be criticised for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It isn't "time wasting" in that sense. He did everything within the rules. The ball was in play so it can't be time wasting.

If you go by this theory then when you used to be able to put the ball out of bounds it was not time wasting becasue it was in the rules. Yet they changed the rule becasue it was considered time wasting.
Same thing.
I have no problem at all with what Bowden did and i would expect our players to be smart enough to do it if we where in the same position.
Personally i think the rule is wrong. Giving away a point is not enough of a penalty for a deliberate rushed behind. Wether the solution is 3 points or a bounce on the 50 or whatever there needs to be a bigger penalty for doing it throughout the game.

They earned the right to do it because they were good enough to get 2 goals up.

Stop sooking.

I agree the rule probably should be changed but the team has earned the right to do it because they have a lead. Sour grapes.

In th NFL they have time wasting so entrenched in their game it actually occupies the last few minutes of every game. Same as Basketball to a degree. Do we really want to follow these examples? Just because a team has built a lead doesnt mean we should allow them to use a loophole in the rules to kill the contest.

Again, this is not sour grapes. Essendon lost the game off their own boot, and in reality, didn't deserve to win after playing only 1 good quater of football.

But surely this episode should not be repeated again. I was there. It killed an exciting game, no matter what the result.

Yeah the right thing to do is kick to a 50/50, with the chance of the ball sailing back over your head for a goal, ending finals aspirations there and then.

Yep that's the right thing to do.

LOL! Can you hear yourself speak? You sound ridiculous and full of soure grapes.

What a joke you are.

Totally agree with you. If it was a Bomber player & he decided to take the chance of a kick, I'd be furious, Bowden did the right thing.

We had our chances to win it, but bad kicking let us down.

Congrats to the Tigers, was a great game, I'm not too disappointed with the loss due to our injuries, we did better than I thought.

Bring on the Pies, as long as we get some players back. ;)

Bowden knows his limitations. It was a smart play because we all know that he can only hit a target when chipping 10-15m sideways, if he was forced to kick long an Essendon player would have been in a good position to mark.

Simple as that.

WAh wah wah....go and have a cry

Great move. Very smart.

Will guarantee that other clubs will cotton on to it now it's been done and we'll see it more regularly in tight finishes. If it does become a more regular occurrence a rule change will end up an absolute certainty.

No surprise why Choco doesn't rate him a few weeks ago...

Its within the rules, doesn't mean its the right thing to do though.
So I'm guessing you would be filthy then if a Port player did it tomorrow to beat the Crows?

There are ways to overcome it.

Best thing is for Essendon forwards to have let a Tiger player become free in the left back pocket. Bowden would have kicked the ball to him. Then man up all players. Player with ball can't head towards goals to rush behind as there are players there. And if all players are manned then the player with the ball would have to kick down the wing to a contest.;)

On another note I watched the replay on 7,9 and 10 News.

Channel 10 didnt make mention of Bowdens tactic
Channel 9 mentioned along the lines it was ok play

Channel 7 with Tim Watson started the Rich vs Ess highlights something along the line of "And in a controversial play which will come under strong scrutiny" Typical bias statement Mr Timmy...

Congrats Tigers, a pretty young team out there and a long trip from WA week before
Bombers did well, considering injuries before and during game, some good young players out there

Game overall was pacy and exciting, well done both teams :thumbsu:

Of course I would. But I would also be mightily pissed off if Essendon attempted to employ that type of time wasting tactic that isn't in the spirit of the game (and yes, before you say it, I hate it when we or any other team do the chip kicks around the backline in an effort to waste time.)
speaking of time wasting, why does it take Lloyd so long to take a shot at goal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bowden's tactics

Remove this Banner Ad

Back