Bowden's tactics

Remove this Banner Ad

No surprise why Choco doesn't rate him a few weeks ago...

Its within the rules, doesn't mean its the right thing to do though.
Tell my why it isnt the right thing to do then? He would have known exactly how much time there was left and its a great way to chew up the clock.Smart thing to do in my book.Cant see the problem with it

What can the opposition do to stop it happening?

I know you aren't allowed in or near the goal square during a kick in, but can you wait behind the goal line until the play on call?

Or could you deliberately rush him before he's kicked it and give away a deliberate 50 metre penalty? Get him away from the safety of the goal line.

we could also maybe have the nine pointer from outside 50 the scoreboard would look a bit different.
9pts goals rushed behinds points
1 1 1 1 19
try explaining that to your kids.

I think some Bomber supporters have short memories. Lets face it when we where going along ok between 1999 and 2002 we would often kick the ball around the back half for 2 to 3 minutes when we where 4 goals up. It was a deliberate tactic that we did at around the 23 or 24 minute mark to run time of the clock and make it almost impossible for sides to kick 4 goals in 3 or 4 minutes.
I dont see any difference. What Bowden did was the smart thing to do and the best thing to do. This whole spirit of the game thing is BS. The spirit of the game is to win.

what I love at the moment we have spent 6 months complaining how rule changes are wrecking the game and then when something happens people are calling for rule changes

FFS i hope the crows players have the intelligence to milk the clock like that - takes balls because one mistake and they open themselves up for a goal

3 points for a rushed behind is a shit rule and I'll be pissed off if we ever see it.

I was just going to start a thread about how the AFL needs to modify the kick-out rules to make a rushed point without touching another player the same as out of bounds without touching another player - a free kick to the opposition team.

But this is actually a good idea. Or maybe award the point then have a bouncedown at the top of the square like when they step over the line.

It's the sort of rule change that would never affect the game because we would never see it. Players would just never do what Bowden did. Not when a 55 metre kick to the boundary is a much safer option.

Nice to see another Bomber shares my feelings. :thumbsu:

I would have kicked the guys arse if he kicked the ball out, Essendon marked and kicked a goal.

Agreed,

but atleast if he kicks it to a team mate, then a turnover occurs a few disposals later, we still have a contest.

Just walking the ball back through the points again and again may be in the rules but is surely not what our game is about.

What has been suggested on radio is that Essendon should have given a "proffessional free" away about 50 out from their goal, forcing Richmond to kick to a player away from the goals. Sounds a lot like basketball to me.

Then, imagine this, Bowden kicks the ball backwards, straight through Essendon's goal, for another behind. :rolleyes:

Imaginge this: A team is desperate to win and are 12 points up with 2 minutes to go. With 5 to 10 seconds waisted for each "Bowden episode" they could just rush 11 points in a row, ensuring a win, at all costs of course.

Sounds fun :thumbsdown:

I thought it was excellent work by Bowden. The fact that the Bombers supporters are having a teary over it makes it so much better.

Not this one. My mate, a Richmond supporter nearly went insane when he walked the firs behind to make the difference 5 points. I told him Bowden knew what he was doing because he knew how many seconds were left.

Any bomber supporters who don't support Bowden's move are just plain silly. The guy played by the rules; end of story!!

lol.

Jason Lovesc*ck is the new Kepler Bradley. :thumbsu:

Not really offensive we know he's shit.

Have no problem with what Bowden did, in fact he should probably be congratulated. Ugly footy but who cares when you get the points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think some Bomber supporters have short memories. Lets face it when we where going along ok between 1999 and 2002 we would often kick the ball around the back half for 2 to 3 minutes when we where 4 goals up. It was a deliberate tactic that we did at around the 23 or 24 minute mark to run time of the clock and make it almost impossible for sides to kick 4 goals in 3 or 4 minutes.
I dont see any difference. What Bowden did was the smart thing to do and the best thing to do. This whole spirit of the game thing is BS. The spirit of the game is to win.

The difference is that time wasting is allowed by teams without the ball because they put all their players behind the ball to help force a turnover. All they need to do is man up and the kicking backwards stops.

You can't man up the guy kicking in. He is protected, and as Bowden showed, can waste time without risk.

Smart from Bowden, and Essendon deserved to lose, but not what I want to see at the end of each close game thats for sure.

What a surprise Richmond win the game and people concentrate on the negatives.

He did it a couple of times.. not 5 times or something ffs. If he had been in our team Vs Bulldogs we probably would have won that game too.

IMO if they want to change the rushed from a kick in rule dont make it 3 points, just make it a bounce on the 50m line.

The difference is that time wasting is allowed by teams without the ball because they put all their players behind the ball to help force a turnover. All they need to do is man up and the kicking backwards stops.

You can't man up the guy kicking in. He is protected, and as Bowden showed, can waste time without risk.

Smart from Bowden, and Essendon deserved to lose, but not what I want to see at the end of each close game thats for sure.
The backman kicking in is only protected for the 10 seconds he has to kick the ball in and then can be tackled so to do this with about 30 seconds left is pretty good thinking.I am sure though that if theres more than a minute to go you wouldnt see full backs doing it that often

When you break it all down it is the same.
You are taking time off the clock to limit the chances of the opposition scoring.

When you break it all down it is the same.
You are taking time off the clock to limit the chances of the opposition scoring.

Yeah but one gives the opposition a chance to win the ball back. The other offers no contest.

One is safer sure, but a little less appealing, and surely if it continues should be outlawed.

Just a thought: don't we have a rule for time wasting? I'm sure all Carlton supporters know this (Neale Daniher lol). I wonder whether the umpire has an option to call it time wasting and pay a free against the backman? After all, Bowden had no intention of kicking the ball in. Surely this is "time wasting" at its purest.

Yeah but one gives the opposition a chance to win the ball back. The other offers no contest.

One is safer sure, but a little less appealing, and surely if it continues should be outlawed.

Just a thought: don't we have a rule for time wasting? I'm sure all Carlton supporters know this (Neale Daniher lol). I wonder whether the umpire has an option to call it time wasting and pay a free against the backman? After all, Bowden had no intention of kicking the ball in. Surely this is "time wasting" at its purest.

Yes it is time wasting and it should be treated no differently than if you deliberately put the ball out of bounds.

I'm not going to cry about it, just because it cost us the game, but if anything, they should make it 3 points for a rush behind. I have to admit though it was smart thinking.

We dont want it to be worth 3 points. Footy is a simple game.. goals and behinds is all we need. If anything just call it a point and bounce it at the top of the square.

Oh and it didn't cost you the game.. you still had to kick a goal to win.. Lets not get too carried away.

It isn't "time wasting" in that sense. He did everything within the rules. The ball was in play so it can't be time wasting.

And Bowden would have kicked the ball in if there was an easy option but like we see so many times in a season there wasn't so the next best option is to concede again.

Crying over spilt milk.

OMG - get over it people. If it was my team, i'd back it 100%.

Great thinking at the point where most don't.

As an Essendon fan at the game I am obviously dissapointed at the result, but I don't want this to come across as sour grapes.

Bowden did not break any rules, and did what he had to do to secure the win - but I hope that this rule is changed sooner rather then later, because what would have otherwise been a fighting win has been soured by what I consider to be unsportsmanlike behaviour.

This isn't quite the underarm bowl, but the result is exactly the same, keeping within the rules but going against the spirit of the game. I am sure that any sensible Richmond fan would agree that this is not the way you should go about winning a game of football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bowden's tactics

Remove this Banner Ad

Back