Opinion Brad Hartman

Remove this Banner Ad

How old is the kid? Way too early to be making definitive judgements on him IMO. Catsman has backed him…great. I haven't seen him so I'll wait and see.

They took him to Sydney…I would suggest for good reasons. Lets see how he goes.

Yes it would have been awful! We would have drunk the bar dry!
Beer definitely on the cards when I return to Geneva, don't know when that will be though!

for 2 years ive been a lone voice. He'll be a gun. He's super athletic. His vertical leap is ridiculous. Skills are super. He's finally getting AFL fit and strong. And is 6ft2 in the old scale, pushing 6ft3. He's going to be a nightmare to match up on in 12 months time.

I probably lean towards this after what I've seen of him this year and the rate that he has improved to get there from last year. Huge potential IMO, whether he gets there or not is obviously yet to be seen but he's showing some signs, has something special.

A lot harder than I thought, he's not scared to hit the packs with his size.

Pardon? Would you like to specify where I have hated any of the above, including Hartman. If you said I have been in the negative side of the ledger on Hartman , Id agree. Where you picked up the Varcoe thing or the hatred of Motlop thing is beyond me. And as far as shutting me up , really?

You post that you have been saying the same thing for two years , that you are the lone voice then surely you are inviting comment as if you are the lone voice , all others will be posting contrary to your opinion .
Turbo = sincere apologies - to be honest i confused you with another poster here who i wont bother naming. Honestly. sorry man. Im jetlagged like a mofo at the moment and mis read some stuff. Again, apologies.

188cm, 6'3"?
He looks and plays much shorter than that when I've seen him in the 2nds TV games, he looks more like one of those small mosquito types.
Are those stats accurate? He simply doesn't look anywhere near Menzel, Duncan, HSmith height to me, much less 3" taller than Varcoe.
he might be listed as 188 fred but im gonna go on a limb and say he's 190 ish. i reckon he's 6ft3 or there abouts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Turbo = sincere apologies - to be honest i confused you with another poster here who i wont bother naming. Honestly. sorry man. Im jetlagged like a mofo at the moment and mis read some stuff. Again, apologies.

Don't worry about it , all good.:)

Re Hartman , I hope he proves your correct. Lets say till he does I will be cautious and not have high expectations. The way he came to the club ,makes it quite hard for him and we are allaware of how difficult it can be for some Ind.kids I hope the club is on top his health and welfare. someone like catempire may be able to help me out on the precise stats for drafted players but if Brad plays a 100 games My guess is he would fall into a small amount something like 25% of drafted players. If he achieves that he will have done more than the other 75% who have come from stronger backgrounds. Sounds like a win /win to me

Don't worry about it , all good.:)

Re Hartman , I hope he proves your correct. Lets say till he does I will be cautious and not have high expectations. The way he came to the club ,makes it quite hard for him and we are allaware of how difficult it can be for some Ind.kids I hope the club is on top his health and welfare. someone like catempire may be able to help me out on the precise stats for drafted players but if Brad plays a 100 games My guess is he would fall into a small amount something like 25% of drafted players. If he achieves that he will have done more than the other 75% who have come from stronger backgrounds. Sounds like a win /win to me
These are a couple of years old, but:

Stats provided by Champion Data show that of the 2179 players to have been drafted since 1986 (including those still on club lists):

* 710 (or 32.5%) have never played a single game.
* 932 (or 42.8%) have played between 1 and 49 games. So more than three-quarters of all draftees (75.3%) have not reached the milestone of 50 AFL games.
* 292 (or 13.4%) have played more than 100 games; and
* 74 (or 3.3%) reach the 200-game milestone.

Stats provided by Champion Data show that of the 2179 players to have been drafted since 1986 (including those still on club lists):

* 932 (or 42.8%) have played between 1 and 49 games. So more than three-quarters of all draftees (75.3%) have not reached the milestone of 50 AFL games.

The fact that 1/3rd never play a single game suggests that drafting is a very, very imprecise science.
I wonder how our figures measure up against the averages.

The fact that 1/3rd never play a single game suggests that drafting is a very, very imprecise science.
I wonder how our figures measure up against the averages.
Average would be my guess. I think what we've done well though is find 100+ game players with relatively poorer picks than other clubs.

Do these numbers relate exclusively to the National Draft, or are rookie draftees also included?

Think those figures might be skewed a bit by the inclusion of some of the early drafts. Didn't really become the primary way to recruit players until the mid-90s.

Thank CE , I thought I may have been generous. And of course , thats a stat that has within it more stats . Id bet , the success rate of players who represented V Metro for instance would be different to players from NT and NSW. Players from tradition backgrounds and players from non.
I wonder what the stats are for players playing a 100 drafted at R1,R2, R3 etc. I seem to remember R1 was obviously better R2-R4 dropped and after that it was rare.

So as you can Catsmaninamerica I have reasons for being conservative , we all probably tend to pump the tyres on our kids a bit too much. Its a tough gig , and the odds are against them for sure. If Brad can get to be a good regular player Id think we should and he should be very happy. If he becomes more than that then its almost like a Tattslotto win. And no matter what , I expect .. sorry I demand Geelong look after him. They took him and Geelong must be responsible . Thats not to say they keep him our list for ever and a day but they must do better than standard in looking after his post footy prospects.

Hartman is having another good game in the magoos.
Let's hope when the MC have their piss-up during the week they pick him to play StKilda.
If Hartman's development continues at its current trajectory he'll end up with not only senior games, but a few BOGs by 2015. We might even get a few "I was wrong" posts from the people who said the club wasted its premium pick 77 on him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Brad Hartman

Remove this Banner Ad

Back