Brad Hodge

Remove this Banner Ad

LOL after his first couple of years, brett lee was carried by McGrath and warne and then served up a diet of 4 and 6 balls. and who can forget his embarrassing fist pumping action for getting a no.10 or no.11 batsman after being tonked around the ground for a day and a half.

Not half the bowler that Dizzy Gillespie was, and dizzy was never given half the chances lee was.

As for Katich, including him at the expense of a rampant Mike Hussey contributed to us losing the ashes in 05, and martyn's selection for that series was a joke.

Katich's test selection at the time was reward for crossing from WA to NSW.

Errrrrr Jason Gillespie was given every opportunity late in his career. He failed to take any of them and he was bowling complete trollop for the last year or so playing for Australia.

Errrrrr Jason Gillespie was given every opportunity late in his career. He failed to take any of them and he was bowling complete trollop for the last year or so playing for Australia.

As opposed to brett lee who was bowling trollop for the last 7 years of his career.

incidentally tore up the bangers in his last series with the bat and ball, took 8 wickets at 11 a piece, while bing went for 2/186, of course bing was selected to carry on...

lets face it, dizzy had 1 bad year, and bing had 1 good year.

As opposed to brett lee who was bowling trollop for the last 7 years of his career.

incidentally tore up the bangers in his last series with the bat and ball, took 8 wickets at 11 a piece, while bing went for 2/186, of course bing was selected to carry on...

lets face it, dizzy had 1 bad year, and bing had 1 good year.

Mate don't get me wrong, you'll be hard-pressed to find anyone that despises Brett Lee as much as I do. I just think that Jason's time was up, the pin (on his International Career) was pulled too late.

Just remember everyone, Hodge is a good player but he plays for himself and individual records - his comments on Monday on Fox show it.

Serious?!
He took 11 wickets and made a double century in his last test.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brett was still bowling at 150kmph and was still taking wickets at the time. I hated them picking Lee, but two wrongs don't make a right. They were wrong to pick Lee (possibly) but they would have been equally wrong to retain Gillespie.

Brett was still bowling at 150kmph and was still taking wickets at the time. I hated them picking Lee, but two wrongs don't make a right. They were wrong to pick Lee (possibly) but they would have been equally wrong to retain Gillespie.

dizzy was coming back from injury and certainly hit his strides against the bangers, after which he was dropped.

how did lee go against the bangers? they tonked him all over the place.

In england in the ashes, dizzy's bowling was average, and with the exception of 2 sessions, a fully fit brett lee was rubbish as well and lee was fully fit.

If anything they shouldn't have selected an unfit dizzy for england, and they should have dropped lee years ago.

dizzy bowled v well in shield cricket then gave it away, i guess after test cricket, shield cricket was a let down.

lee? rubbish and carried for a few more years.

Brett Lee had a very specific role as a test bowler - that was to bowl fast, and scare the batsmen. No doubt he was more successful at this in ODIs.
Some of the other test bowlers in his time may well attribute some of their success to Lees bowing at the other end.

This thread is about Brad Hodge, why isn't it on the domestic board yet?

Slack mods....

Yeah I can't remember when this became about Dizzy but (and this is the first time I will say this...shudders) can we go back to discussing Hodge please.

The thing that makes me laugh with the selectors treatment of Brad Hodge is they dropped him because he wouldnt be able to handle South African conditions they claimed, yet its probably his favourite country from trips he has had there in various series

But they did the 1 thing that would give them plenty of excuses to leave him out of the ODI side, they gave him 1 full series in his life and it was India, the 1 place he cannot buy a run at any level, he was averaging 40 before that series and he hasnt played since. Sure it may not be a good excuse but then you look at Ricky Pontings test record in India especially in the first 3-4 series...

Lehman always looked outclassed against the quicks at test level, similar to Brad Hodge. There's been many awesome first class cricketers who havent made the step up, eg Ramprakash and Hick in England, and I feel Hodge and Lehman are similar cases. I remember being at the SCG when the Saffers played Australia, near the end of the day, and the saffers set Hodge up just so easily to pop one to short mid wicket. It was just too easy.
I saw the same thing happen to Steve Waugh. Numerous times.

I suppose he wasn't up to it? :rolleyes:

You've seen one dismissal and you're using it as your evidence that he's not up to it?

Was Michael Slater ever up to it?
Was Mark Taylor?

He wasn't given the chances. Nothing even close to what others were given. There is no proof of him not being good enough so don't talk shit.

He was given chances and failed. Domestic cricket is the bloke's best level.

he didn't fail at test level

in the 50 over game, i don't know why he was selected, was a good without being brilliant player at that level.

in FC cricket, well ahead of many selected before him.

As for Lehmann, was selected at the end of his career for national duties and performed well, Australian cricket never saw him at his peak.

Slater and Taylor....two slightly above average players. Taylor was a good captain which added to the reason of his selection.

Steve waugh and Allan Border were far superior captains.

Border had rubbish teams and carried them into form. S.waugh rarely let his team have 4th innings collapses and the concept of the 'dead rubber fail' was virtually eliminated under his tenure.

Taylor's captaincy was carried by a brilliant team, with a brittle top order that was prone to collapsing and failing in dead rubbers.

S.waugh got the most of his team and turned the aussies in marauding beasts in the cricket field.

There was a lapse in fitness in the aussie team i think from when border retired to when s.waugh took over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brad Hodge

Remove this Banner Ad

Back