Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
This is an interesting one.

Former teammates. Both often play as undersized key forwards but can dominate in the midfield too.

Johnson is probably the more dependable and team oriented but Brown eclipses him in terms of brilliance and matchwinning ability.

Johnson is tougher. Brown is more flashy.
Johnson is more reliable. Brown is more brilliant.

The brilliance factor is a very small gap between these two and both can be match-winners but I'd take Brown for ability and Johnson for reliability.

Very tough one. I've always thought if Johnno had been played in the guts his entire career, he could've been top 5 in the comp easily. Brown is fantastic and is all class, but I'll take Johnno.

Brad Johnson.

I have watched them play alot of games and Johnson is the one that stands up when the pressure is applied from the better teams. Brown is the master of kicking big bags against weaker opposition. Not that it's a bad thing, it's just i have seen him go missing when the teams not going so well against the better teams. Did it plenty of times for the doggies and noticed it a few times for the tigers. when Johnno has a bad day or is beaten he still bust's his arse for the team.

SHCP said:
Brad Johnson.

I have watched them play alot of games and Johnson is the one that stands up when the pressure is applied from the better teams. Brown is the master of kicking big bags against weaker opposition. Not that it's a bad thing, it's just i have seen him go missing when the teams not going so well against the better teams. Did it plenty of times for the doggies and noticed it a few times for the tigers. when Johnno has a bad day or is beaten he still bust's his arse for the team.

Bollocks.

When the going gets tough Nathen Brown is the bloke that has always held his hand up this year.

Bentleigh said:
Bollocks.

When the going gets tough Nathen Brown is the bloke that has always held his hand up this year.

That would be a first.

Interesting to see how he goes against the Lions this week. I think you will find the going getting tough there.

Johnson by the slightest margin. Just a little more consistant then Browny

Johnson= Loyal clubman

Brown= Show me the money!

The Better footballer between these two is difficult to answer......but the better bloke is no doubt Brad Johnson. Nathan Brown is a money chasing scumbag. Sour grapes? Maybe! Truth? For sure!!

Brad you will be a loved Life member of our footy club. Nathan you will be the bloke who chased money and selfishly left a footy club who needed you!

Brad Johnson gets my vote, he is the one who I would trust in the trenches. Brown might just change sides and shot you in the back!

Doesn't matter how could Brown is or gets.....he will always be a disloyal dog who can not be trusted to stay fat during difficult times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having followed them both extremely closely throughout their careers, I have very good knowledge of what both players have done (and can do). At their very best, the two are extremely difficult to separate. Both players can and have played in all thirds of the ground (back, midfield and forward), and they have done it very effectively.

Both Johnno and Browny rarely have a bad game, and are both one of the first players selected every week. Even if they are only 80% fit, they'll be named over an average player who is 100% fit.

So, who is the better player? For me, it's Brad Johnson. He seems to be more damaging more often, whereas Nathan Brown can have shocking matches in front of the big sticks, even though he is able to find a lot of the ball. Johnson's leadership qualities are far better than Brown's, and his loyalty is also far more evident than Brown's. If both players receive a heavy knock of equal measure, Johnson will be the first one to get to his feet, as he is physically the stronger player.

Even though Johnno is physically tougher, it's interesting to know that Browny would generally beat Johnno in marking contests at training. As you can quite easily guess, though, there really wasn't a lot in it - most of the contests would result in nil all draws.

Johnson is also quicker than Brown. I'm not so sure about the more deadly player, though - again, I'd give this another nil all draw.

Basically, it's Johnson's speed, physical presence, toughness and leadership against Brown's skill, sharp shooting and reading of the play.

Very, very close, but it's Brad Johnson who takes the cake for mine.

Nathan Brown can pull of the odd flukey manouevre, but, aside from today's game, he isn't the difference between winning and losing like Johnson is. You would rarely see Brad have a bad game, which is a fair effort, considering he is playing out of position in a team that has been one of the poorest performing in the last 5 years.

I voted for Brad Johnson. He is one of the players I respect the most in the AFL as a consistant, hard worker who is damaging and can influence games. He is a true champion of the game.

However, this may sound odd, but at Richmond I feel that Brown is more useful, due to the fact that he is a brilliant player who on song can destroy teams [as evident by 4th quarter], he is a perfect foil for Richo.

Im going to have to go with Johnno. Loved the comment that Johnno isnt a match winner - obviously never watched a bulldogs game or even simply read an article about the Bulldogs games.

Johnson for me gets the nod mainly because of consistency over a few years. However Brown has improved his consistency greatly and I think if you ask this question again next year I would go with the 'they are even' option.

Brown never made the top 3 in our best and fairest. When still at the Dogs Johnson was definitely better then Brown, very even now. Brown is better skilled but Johnson is more consistent, stronger overhead and has better character, i.e isn't scum

Bulldog1954 said:
Brown never made the top 3 in our best and fairest. When still at the Dogs Johnson was definitely better then Brown, very even now. Brown is better skilled but Johnson is more consistent, stronger overhead and has better character, i.e isn't scum

wbfootybrownnarrowweb200x27018.jpg

"Now that's not a very nice thing to say Bulldog1954"

Brad Johnson's career > Nathan Brown's career
Nathan Brown 2005 > Brad Johnson 2005 although both are clearly in All Australian form but Nathan Brown has been a bit better this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brad Johnson v Nathan Brown

Remove this Banner Ad

Back