Brad Ottens retires

Remove this Banner Ad

:confused: Errrr no.

Congrats on a great career - and a perfect time to pass the baton on to our young big men.

Err yes. Was an exciting player with us when he wasn't injured. Don't give us this crap that he has 3 premierships with Geelong so he was a better player there. It was 22 players who won a premiership, not 1 player :cool:

Err yes. Was an exciting player with us when he wasn't injured. Don't give us this crap that he has 3 premierships with Geelong so he was a better player there. It was 22 players who won a premiership, not 1 player :cool:

Completely different player at Richmond.
Could tear games apart up forward but kept struggling with confidence.

He was a great kick early on at Geelong too but there's a reason that dropped away. We played him in his correct position all of the time. Ruck.

He had far, far more effect on the contest when playing for Geelong than he did at Richmond. We'd do that trade again in a heart beat.

Was a better player when he was a tiger. That's when he could jump and kick straighter for goal. Very talented but always injury prone

Stats indicate that he's an accurate kick (261-154 including a run of 76-33 in 2001-2), maybe he sent a few out on the full!

Tremendous player right from the get go. A true footballer in a ruckman's body, not many of those out there.

Injured a fair bit but in a similar vein to say a Kouta, still managed to crank out a huge total of games played. Absolutely critical to our run.

Hard pressed to deny that 2001 was Brad Ottens' best year.

Of all the potential Geelong retirees, I was (selfishly) hopeful he'd hang them up. A good player who turned into a really good player when it counted most.

Didn't Richmond pick up Dean Polo with the pick they got from Geelong, via Melbourne for Ottens ??

Oh dear :)

Fantastic career Otto, was a beast, helped us win 3 premierships in 5 years and will be missed. Right time to call an end to his career i think, amde the right decision, he did say that he was finding it hard to get up each week and his body has probably had enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stats indicate that he's an accurate kick (261-154 including a run of 76-33 in 2001-2), maybe he sent a few out on the full!

His kicking action was the best there was in the late 90's. Yes including Lloyd.
But he never had the confidence of Lloyd. He was a dead eye dick early in his career.

People seem to forget Ottens carried Richmond to a preliminary finals birth in 2001 along with Richo. Easily his best season, evident by his only All Australian award coming in 2001. Could've been even better but struggled with injuries. 2007 was probably his best year at Geelong and I doubt the cats would have won three premierships without him. It's a true credit to Ottens that he's been able to continue to play. Missed alot of 09 and wasn't sure he'd play on after 2010 but he was very good this year. Well done Bradley :thumbsu:

Just a big country kid who never enjoyed the limelight. Obviously made a smart call to get out of Punt Rd and the cards fell nicely for him; no hard feelings from this quarter.

IMO his knack for getting himself right and performing well when it really counted, and of course the three flags, will ensure he is remembered as being a bit better than he was.

:confused: Errrr no.

He actually was a better player at Richmond, 2001 was his best year. He made AA ruck and at 21 was part of our team that made a prelim.

He will well and truly be remembered as a Geelong player though. No idea why we ever traded him.

Congrats Otto on a good career and being a good bloke.

Was a better player when he was a tiger. That's when he could jump and kick straighter for goal. Very talented but always injury prone

He should have been. He should have been our number 1 ruck from about 2002.

But because he could kick straight, we decided to keep him up forward where he and Richo could get in each other's way, while we recruited the likes of Stafford (who was good, but only for 2 years) and Ben Marsh (never).

When he played first ruck (because of injuries to others) he starred - but we never put him there permanently. So he got a bit pissed off.

Then he went to Geelong as a forward. When King fell over, he played first ruck and starred (surprise) - and Geelong left him there.

What a player.

Dare I say it, no Ottens, no flags for Geelong?
Certainly was instrumental not just in the GFs but in getting them there.

And so much better to see a great player retire on top, rather than going on longer than he should.

Well played big fella :thumbsu:
Would have lost the '07 Prelim without him, so yeah I would probably say no Ottens and the Geelong no-flag hoodoo continues for at least another decade.

I always maintained he was easily our most important player in this era, even above Scarlett.

Would have lost the '07 Prelim without him, so yeah I would probably say no Ottens and the Geelong no-flag hoodoo continues for at least another decade.

I always maintained he was easily our most important player in this era, even above Scarlett.

As a rival for the 2012 flag with geelong.. im very thankful his retired, amazing player and great bloke good luck to him

The ultimate finals weapon and boy did he perform. Struggled to get on the park sometimes, but when he did he always looked like he had years left in him.

Great career and truly went out on his own terms and in the best possible circumstances.

People seem to forget Ottens carried Richmond to a preliminary finals birth in 2001 along with Richo. Easily his best season, evident by his only All Australian award coming in 2001. Could've been even better but struggled with injuries. 2007 was probably his best year at Geelong and I doubt the cats would have won three premierships without him. It's a true credit to Ottens that he's been able to continue to play. Missed alot of 09 and wasn't sure he'd play on after 2010 but he was very good this year. Well done Bradley :thumbsu:

This.

However his departure from us left a sour taste in my mouth. He lied about wanting to stay and them a short time later walked out on us forcing us to deal with Geelong. ( which when we got our picks we mucked up - interestingly that both players we got did bomb at a second club as well).

Had a great career in the end but obviously i would have wished he did not crack the sads and mislead us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brad Ottens retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back