Brad Ottens retires

Remove this Banner Ad

It wasn't all that long ago that he was constantly criticized in the media for his inconsistent and often very poor performances, but credit to him for how he's turned it around in the latter part of his career.

He'll be remembered as a Geelong great.

He lied about wanting to stay and them a short time later walked out on us forcing us to deal with Geelong.

Apparently he told Frawley he was going while Spud was still in the chair.

"I didn't want to do the wrong thing by the club," Frawley says. "But he'd made up his mind. He was going to leave...I pretty much told him he should be looking at Sydney."

http://www.statue.com.au/statue-articles/2007/9/9/the-tall-poppy-who-couldnt-be-cut-down-to-size/

Well done on a great career. Between ottens milburn and ling that's about 700 games experience gone in one year. Interesting to see how it affects the team despite their obvious depth.

And Mooney.

Well done Brad, fantastic career, all the best for the future.

Exciting times to see how the other ruckmen on the list step up. I get the feeling Vardy won't be available for Rd 1, so if one of Simpson or West are injured the Cats could be really stretched.

Absolutely loved this guy. Remember having a day off school in 1997 when the draft was on. Travis Johnstone was the consensus number one pick so was over the moon to get Ottens.

His first match against Essendon the next year he took a ripping pack mark which showed us that we had something special.

He was great in 2001 but I remember thinking he was lucky to make All Australian. Kicked 44 goals if I remember but played 90% up forward with Benny Gale in the ruck.

Was devastated when he left to Geelong. When we played them round one in 2005 I genuinely hated him that game but soon got over this and found myself wanting him to do well whenever I watched the cats.

Was huge in 2007 prelim and was one of many reasons the cats have been so successful.

To a small group of tiger fans he is known as 'Optens'. This is due to a rather loud supporter who sits near us who called him this. (lets say in a not too politically correct way that this supporter was a stubby short of a six pack.)

Will miss you Otto and thanks for your time at the Tigers.

:)

LEAVE HIM ALONE, ALL OF YOU.

I love that, Great player well done.
I was just thinking how far away that Bomber reaction seems now. He was under the pump big time for a while there but he certainly repaid Geelong's faith.

As pointed out by a poster on the geelong board.

Incredibly Geelong no longer have any players on their list that came from another AFL club.
They're now 100% national draft players.

Was a better player when he was a tiger. That's when he could jump and kick straighter for goal. Very talented but always injury prone

Agree 100%. Was a gun in 2001, never reached that level again but helped Geelong a heap to get those flags.

Incredibly Geelong no longer have any players on their list that came from another AFL club.

Wow, thats pretty amazing I would have thought. Anyone got time to sift through each club and work out the numbers? :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is a gun, a big blow for Geelong, even moreso with Vardy having complications with his hip surgery.

Luckily, Geelong has the emerging and now premiership ruckman,Trent West, and the up and coming Dawson Simposn, in reserve.

Ottens' retirement will be a blow, but if he had played on in 2012, I suspect his role would have been a diminished one.

Was devastated when he left the tigers. Our ruck stocks haven't recovered since he left.

Very happy for him though playing in so many finals and being a great player.

Congrats on a brilliant career brad. :thumbsu:

Technically, Podsiadly and Simpkin were rookie-listed elsewhere, but as you say they came to Geelong through the draft. Essendon has only Prismall.

No doubt it hurts our chances in 2012, but I am confident that it will ultimately be better for us from 2013-2015, when Simpson and West should be in their prime and Vardy should just be entering his. I think all have shown glimpses with the limited opportunities that they've had and I'm confident that they will be able to hold down the ruck position for us for a long time.

I feel the same but if Simpson or West get injured we are in a bit of trouble with Vardy under a cloud already. It will be Hawkins back into the ruck!

They might have to rookie a second hand ruck from somewhere.

Well done Otto.

I feel the same but if Simpson or West get injured we are in a bit of trouble with Vardy under a cloud already. It will be Hawkins back into the ruck!

They might have to rookie a second hand ruck from somewhere.

Well done Otto.

You get injuries to any key player you're in trouble, there's no point worrying about it. And if you worry about injuries you shouldn't play competitive sport. If it does happen, we deal with it and move on.

After this year's finals series I am hoping we'll never see Hawkins in the ruck ever again. Even Chris Scott sees the wisdom in this now.

Best finals player I have seen for any club. Always lifted, even when he was stuffed (see end of 09 GF. His groundwork was crucial).

Fantastic player for us and integral to our success. Always primed himself perfectly for finals.

The only player in this great team we traded in and what a trade it was for both the club and Ottens.

If he stuck with Richmond, he probably would've been forced into retirement years ago and instead is a three time premiership player and legend of our club.

I wonder if Tiger fans still wonder why he chose to move down to Geelong?

Fantastic career, got the absolute most of himself and played through many injuries. He is respected by everybody in the AFL community and finishes his journey being remembered as a triple premiership player, All Australian, champion ruckman. Also having the biggest pill in the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brad Ottens retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back