Player Watch Brayden Maynard

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting about the fitness. If that improves, the poise and disposal will improve.
It was always his knock when he got drafted. I like the kid, it seems on here he only ever gets blasted for when he does something bad. He's got some attritubutes to make him a very good player, he just needs some time.

Interesting that we've had two articles in a day (this one and the Cloke one in today's H-Sun) that make a big point out of the player in question being dumb. o_O

Yeah, disappointing, disconcerting and not necessary.:thumbsdown: Why the put downs? Even from the players themselves, much less others speaking of them.

Blakely looks like a better selection at this stage, was Knightmare first choice at 30. :(

Blakely now that he is gaining opportunity through Fremantle's midfield is coming on strongly. His past three weeks have been excellent.

Maynard's past two weeks though have been good. Has holes in his game - with his footskills inconsistent etc but 21 disposals, 9 marks, 8 tackles and 22 disposals, 10 marks is reason for optimism that he can prove a worthwhile choice.

Maynard is going to be a very solid defender for a long, long time. He's been doing a lot of the defensive dirty work this season and he's put together some really good performances. Only his 2nd season and playing to an acceptable standard. I think he'll be a very serviceable player for the club; Maxwell 2.0

Its seem like whenever we start trying to build we're sacked by barbarians and have to start from square one all the time.
The barbarians are at the gate!
Head barbarian apparantly called Robb O

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maynard is going to be a very solid defender for a long, long time. He's been doing a lot of the defensive dirty work this season and he's put together some really good performances. Only his 2nd season and playing to an acceptable standard. I think he'll be a very serviceable player for the club; Maxwell 2.0

Agree with most of this. Except that he'll be a much, much better than maxwell. Will be one of the best 5 players on our list within 2-3 years.

I've got a massive man crush on this kid. I see him becoming a star.

I'd love to see him spend some time in the middle.

You are kidding. His defensive work was absolutely terrible on the weekend. Too attacking and way too slow to get back to his man and also fill holes. I think he fools too many people with his possessions. No use getting the cheap ball if you can't follow a structure. He cost us dearly on the weekend.

Agree with most of this. Except that he'll be a much, much better than maxwell. Will be one of the best 5 players on our list within 2-3 years.

I've got a massive man crush on this kid. I see him becoming a star.

I'd love to see him spend some time in the middle.
He won't be fit to polish his boots mate

Doesn't have the brains of Maxwell. Will probably always be a pretty blunt tool, but in the right set up that can have its uses.

Needs to get a lot fitter, and helped to understand a role he can execute. If those things happen, can be a good long term player.

He won't be fit to polish his boots mate

I disagree. Maxwell was a great captain and a very good player for us. Extracted as much as he could with he had to work with. One of my all time time favorites as he was hard at it, always have 100% effort and never died wondering.

Maynard is 19. Built like a brick shit house, hurts other players, has a relentless attack on man and ball, is a nice kick and has big brass balls.

However, he is unfit, makes some poor decisions at times and tries too much at other times - this is inexperience coming to the fore. The kid is being persisted with because his good attributes outweigh the bad. And with time, he's only 19, he has every chance to iron out those deficiencies and improve on his strengths even more.

People shouldn't be expecting this kid to be the glue in our back line or an impenetrable wall. He's played a handful of games in a team that's struggling to show any cohesion and a game plan that is difficult even for our best and more experienced to follow.

Has huge scope for improvement.... Gets very unfairly criticized considering the amount of development he's had and the predicament he's been forced to play in. Remember he's still learning how his teammates around him play.

I can't understand how so many people are attacking this kid and what he offers.

I disagree. Maxwell was a great captain and a very good player for us. Extracted as much as he could with he had to work with. One of my all time time favorites as he was hard at it, always have 100% effort and never died wondering.

Maynard is 19. Built like a brick shit house, hurts other players, has a relentless attack on man and ball, is a nice kick and has big brass balls.

However, he is unfit, makes some poor decisions at times and tries too much at other times - this is inexperience coming to the fore. The kid is being persisted with because his good attributes outweigh the bad. And with time, he's only 19, he has every chance to iron out those deficiencies and improve on his strengths even more.

People shouldn't be expecting this kid to be the glue in our back line or an impenetrable wall. He's played a handful of games in a team that's struggling to show any cohesion and a game plan that is difficult even for our best and more experienced to follow.

Has huge scope for improvement.... Gets very unfairly criticized considering the amount of development he's had and the predicament he's been forced to play in. Remember he's still learning how his teammates around him play.

I can't understand how so many people are attacking this kid and what he offers.
Brayden Maynard that plays for the Pies, right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mate I agree he needs time, which is why I he should be on the list. He should be developing in the VFL because he isn't ready. I do think he has too many cheerleaders who look at his stats, yet don't see he is letting the team down. Port kicked 7 goals from the goal square over the weekend. That is because our backman didn't work hard enough to plug holes.

Now onto Maxwell. A premiership captain. He may not have been the most talented in terms of skill, but in terms of leadership there aren't many better. He has the backline working cohesively. He deserves far more credit than what he is given by some people.

Mate I agree he needs time, which is why I he should be on the list. He should be developing in the VFL because he isn't ready. I do think he has too many cheerleaders who look at his stats, yet don't see he is letting the team down. Port kicked 7 goals from the goal square over the weekend. That is because our backman didn't work hard enough to plug holes.

Now onto Maxwell. A premiership captain. He may not have been the most talented in terms of skill, but in terms of leadership there aren't many better. He has the backline working cohesively. He deserves far more credit than what he is given by some people.

On maxwell I couldn't agree more.

On Maynard I don't agree. You say port kicked 7 from the square - which is correct. How is this Maynard's fault?

He is one of 6 or however many defenders we have playing. A 19 year old still finding his feet and learning his "role Yes, he makes mistakes. I also believe pendles was cost us around 3-4 goals directly or indirectly on the weekend too - no calls for him to be demoted to the 2s.

Obviously the selection committee see something worth persisting with because they keep playing him. If he was letting the team down - and at times he does - what do we think of guys like much of senior squad in the majority of gems this year?

For mine, Maynard should be persisted with until he needs a break. Going to the 2s won't benefit him as much as say, aish, who is/was bereft of confidence.

I think the kid, along with some of our other kids, gets very harshly judged when our senior boys, who should be making their transitions easier, aren't exactly holding he fort.

On maxwell I couldn't agree more.

On Maynard I don't agree. You say port kicked 7 from the square - which is correct. How is this Maynard's fault?

He is one of 6 or however many defenders we have playing. A 19 year old still finding his feet and learning his "role Yes, he makes mistakes. I also believe pendles was cost us around 3-4 goals directly or indirectly on the weekend too - no calls for him to be demoted to the 2s.

Obviously the selection committee see something worth persisting with because they keep playing him. If he was letting the team down - and at times he does - what do we think of guys like much of senior squad in the majority of gems this year?

For mine, Maynard should be persisted with until he needs a break. Going to the 2s won't benefit him as much as say, aish, who is/was bereft of confidence.

I think the kid, along with some of our other kids, gets very harshly judged when our senior boys, who should be making their transitions easier, aren't exactly holding he fort.
Not Maynard's fault alone obviously, but he, along with about 8 of his mates share some of the blame.

He has more excuse than several others, and has huge scope to improve.

You are kidding. His defensive work was absolutely terrible on the weekend. Too attacking and way too slow to get back to his man and also fill holes. I think he fools too many people with his possessions. No use getting the cheap ball if you can't follow a structure. He cost us dearly on the weekend.
Fine. You caught me. I was kidding; you're too good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Brayden Maynard

Remove this Banner Ad

Back