Player Watch Brayden Maynard

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Maynard has potential, but he is nowhere ready. I was watching him at the game on Sunday and it's amazing how if one guy doesn't do his job in terms of structures how the rest falls apart. He was caught out a lot when the Power were rebounding and on quite a few occasions he was too sow to react and then had no hope of getting back and could only watch as the ball sailed past him to one of them who just ran it down and kicked to a group of power players streaming down. If he was backing up at worst he would have held up the play in a contest. He's not the only one, but boy it happened to him about 3 or 4 times.

Victim of loose mids mot defending, forwards not tackling or slipping tackles.

He isnt ready but it is difficult for a young player playing for collingwood atm...

For some reason maynard de goey etc always cop it...

Yeah, let's blame the defence for Sunday's debacle. Actually let's focus on the youngest player in defence. :)

The team as a whole played shyte football which resulted in our backline looking very ordinary. Our movement of the ball into the forward line was pathetic, and we constantly managed to turn the ball over. We zoned terribly and had few players that could walk tall after that performance.

Maynard will come good. Bank on it.

I remember Heath Shaw's first few games; he didn't set the world on fire. Ben Reid during his first year? Anyone remember that run up?

We're too quick to condemn.

*EDIT: I've since been corrected by my fellow posters and happily agree that Heater's first season was pretty awesome. It's cool, coz I love the nutcase.

shaw.jpg

Last edited:
On maxwell I couldn't agree more.

On Maynard I don't agree. You say port kicked 7 from the square - which is correct. How is this Maynard's fault?

He is one of 6 or however many defenders we have playing. A 19 year old still finding his feet and learning his "role Yes, he makes mistakes. I also believe pendles was cost us around 3-4 goals directly or indirectly on the weekend too - no calls for him to be demoted to the 2s.

Obviously the selection committee see something worth persisting with because they keep playing him. If he was letting the team down - and at times he does - what do we think of guys like much of senior squad in the majority of gems this year?

For mine, Maynard should be persisted with until he needs a break. Going to the 2s won't benefit him as much as say, aish, who is/was bereft of confidence.

I think the kid, along with some of our other kids, gets very harshly judged when our senior boys, who should be making their transitions easier, aren't exactly holding he fort.

Ideally I'd like Maynard to develop in the twos earn his spot get a taste of senior footy then develop his game more in the twos and earn his spot again but we don't have that luxury right now, there are many defenders worse than him that are in our back six in Sinclair, Oxley and Toovey. The stat cheerleaders are much worse with Sinclair.

I hardly think the youngest player on the ground can cop much blame for our structures not holding up. FWIW I'm a big fan of Maynard.
Maynard will come into his own and when he does, I'll be watching, agree with you I'm a fan too.

He is not even 20 yet, some people's Mum's are still wiping their butts at that age. Averages 15+ disposals, over 3 tackles at 71% efficiency, room for improvement, absolutely.

Last edited:
Yeah, let's blame the defence for Sunday's debacle. Actually let's focus on the youngest player in defence. :)

The team as a whole played shyte football which resulted in our backline looking very ordinary. Our movement of the ball into the forward line was pathetic, and we constantly managed to turn the ball over. We zoned terribly and had few players that could walk tall after that performance.

Maynard will come good. Bank on it.

I remember Heath Shaw's first few games; he didn't set the world on fire. Ben Reid during his first year? Anyone remember that run up?

We're too quick to condemn.
Nup, you're doing it wrong. Every young player that starts out slow, is a dud :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember Heath Shaw's first few games; he didn't set the world on fire.
His first game was brilliant for a debutant and he'd only just played the day before in the VFL!

His first game was brilliant for a debutant and he'd only just played the day before in the VFL!

My bad. I remember a night game against the doggies, clearly it wasn't his first. He wasn't awesome that night. :) also remember bucks coming back from injury, stuck in the goal square.... Anyway... Yu get my point.

he has shown signs of improvement in every game. my only knock on him is that if he can't get his left boot he turns the ball over, so he has become way to predictable.

he has shown signs of improvement in every game. my only knock on him is that if he can't get his left boot he turns the ball over, so he has become way to predictable.
He's working on it though.
I saw him kick pre-game on his right about 30 or so metres and he hit the target.
I like the boy.

I remember Heath Shaw's first few games; he didn't set the world on fire..

Whilst I agree with your sentiment this point is incorrect.

Shaw hit the ground running and until this season where he has found a new level has been very consistent pretty much from the start. Just look at his possession averages through the years , quite consistent across the baord, 15 from 6 games on debut, then , 20, 20, 20, 23, 21, 22, 20, 20, 21, 23, and 26 this year. Ripped off in the Rising Star too, should have won that.

Fresh off a full VFL game on the day before debut too after being a late call-up. And stayed in the seniors. Not sure he was ever dropped after that (apart from suspensions!!!)

Last edited:
Whilst I agree with your sentiment this point is incorrect.

Shaw hit the ground running and until this season where he has found a new level has been very consistent pretty much from the start. Just look at his possession averages through the years , quite consistent across the baord, 15 from 6 games on debut, then , 20, 20, 20, 23, 21, 22, 20, 20, 21, 23, and 26 this year. Ripped off in the Rising Star too, should have won that.

Fresh off a full VFL game on the day before debut too after being a late call-up. And stayed in the seniors. Not sure he was ever dropped after that (apart from suspensions!!!)

Heater was a bad example, I agree, and thanks for the great stats mate! :) I should've known better than to use that crazy bastard to illustrate my point. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Brayden Maynard

Remove this Banner Ad

Back