BREAKING: Essendon players have been found GUILTY of doping and will be suspended for 12 months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this mean Clinton Jones will be playing again?

You can't keep this guy out of the AFL.
Ben Hudson to come out of retirement for the 15th time

Essendon win the 1984/85 flags by accusing their rivals of using performance enhancing drugs...

Essendon get destroyed by PEDS 30 years later. The irony is delicious

Only recently I was walking around Glenferrie Oval and there were little flowers growing, they looked suss

Feel for the players

Nah not really.

I mean sure I feel for those who were kids straight outta the draft. The rest not so much.

Watson was the captain of a club and cannot definatively say what was put in his body. As a professional athlete he has to be better than that.

If they were a cycling team, or swimmers who didn't have massive club coin to bankroll their defence and media agencies willing to tout this 'poor players, poor players' tripe the perspective on them would be a little different.

They willingly went into practices that they themselves commented were "as close to the line as possible" and they got burned. I feel nothing for them.

The club set about to systematically cheat through a loophole and got caught found guilty and have been punished. Guilt was always going to result in on field bans.

Except I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.

The players clearly did something wrong. They can't feign innocence, because at any point they could've refused to comply or have reported what was happening. They deserve their bans.

But, that's not to say they can't also sue the club for this systematic doping and for unduly influencing the players to take part.
True but their actions dont deserve this sympathy that seems to be a common refrain in the media this morning. The popular myth will be they had no idea and were lead like lambs. Their actions in hiding from their club doctor for chrisakes suggests they knew it was wrong.

"It is the same evidence ASADA presented to the AFL tribunal, however the different outcome represents the proper application of the burden of proof - comfortable satisfaction - as intended by the World Anti-Doping Code."

Pretty much proof that the AFL deliberately tried to bend the rules to protect their own interests.

Absolutely the right call. Really puts Bombers out of contention for the year and slightly affects those 4 other clubs (especially Port copping a double loss of players).

Maybe the Blues won't come last after all :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back