Brent Reilly - Trade Bait?

Remove this Banner Ad

Firstly there is no such thing as loyalty in football anymore so to suggest we should not trade him because it would send the wrong message to other interstate lads is crap. The kids who come into the AFL system these days understand the environment and know football is big business. If they received a much larger offer from a different club, they would be silly not to at least consider it as football is their livelihood. No such thing as loyalty anymore.

Secondly if the right deal was proposed and this deal made us a much better and stronger side, the deal must be looked at however I doubt we would receive his true value in return. So no trade. He brings a lot more than just football talent to the table.

Football is a business but you cannot deny that comeraderie and mateship is vitally important to any young player. Do you think Jonathan Brown hasn't received bigger offers than those Brisbane can offer him? Sometimes people want to stay at a club because they love the people and the culture there.

Of course I can’t, it’s a very important facet to building success but to suggest that they would resent the club and look at trading me because they traded jimmy the snitch is ridiculous. They would know the environment they work in.

Having strong friendships and club culture is an incentive to keep them around and make them want to stay here but trading a good interstate lad that will clearly make us better should never be ruled out.

Reilly's worth to the club goes beyond his talent (which would alone be enough to warrant keeping him unless we got a damn good offer for him). He has pretty much singlehandedly generated a culture in which interstate players want to stay and play for the club. He has stuck by the club through homesickness, difficulty in breaking into the side, and injuries and has by proxy ensured that many other players will do so as well.

I think trading him away after he's espoused the merits of the clubs to the younger brigade would be a big mistake.
Great post

Says it all.

Not a snowball's chance in hell!!

Reilly is a an integral part of our new mid-field as well as being a leader and mentor to our interstate recruits.

He doesn't even deserve for there to be a thread on him possibly being traded let alone further conjecture on it.

Reilly is a keeper. :thumbsu:
What he said!

Reilly's value to our football club goes far beyond what happens on the field. He is a class player on the field and a phenomenal role model off it. Those types are hard to come by and when you have one, you don't let them go. Simple as that.

Not worth a trade. Wouldn't get a first rounder from him.... nor would we get as good in return. His injuries aren't musculo related... so he'll have more luck sooner or later and dominate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reilly's worth to the club goes beyond his talent (which would alone be enough to warrant keeping him unless we got a damn good offer for him). He has pretty much singlehandedly generated a culture in which interstate players want to stay and play for the club. He has stuck by the club through homesickness, difficulty in breaking into the side, and injuries and has by proxy ensured that many other players will do so as well.

I think trading him away after he's espoused the merits of the clubs to the younger brigade would be a big mistake.

Agreed

It is frustrating that he is injured, but i think that he is a wonderful player and with a bit of luck will get his body right again. He seems to have a lot for trouble with broken bones doesn't he.. Collar bone, ankle (last year?) and then wrist this year.. Better then hamstring's etc.

He deserves alot of credit for the other work he has done with the young interstate recruits and could be the one reason that some of them have decided not to go home.

The poor guy has had so many injuries, broken wrist and much more but he is such a valuable player to this club. Keep him on the team!

And hope to sign a Didak or a Dale Thomas, LOL

Will never happen - his loyalty to the Club and his work with other young Victorian players to help him settle in would've bought him massive credits in the eyes of the Coaching Staff.

Absolutely no way would Craigy ever considering betraying that loyalty and trading him.

Loyalty in today's AFL is pretty much passe, IMO.

The rules governing list size, salary cap, forced delistings and drafting have put an end to what I'd call "old school" loyalty from a club to a player.

Plus today's cost of living, guaranteed future delisting (probably before you're ready to retire), possible long term injuries heightened by the increasing speed of the game, ever increasing influence of the player agents (who have zero loyalty to anyone except his/her client), plus the probability that the player is currently residing in a location not of his, or his family's, choice have eroded the loyalty once paramount in a players character.

In short, loyalty is only used by club &/or player when it is convenient, this is true for every AFL club, and every AFL player.

There are numerous examples even in yours, and my own club, and players of our clubs, of when loyalty has not been convenient -- Ben Hart, Jason Torney, Brett Montgomery, Stephen Paxman, Nick Stevens, Josh Carr, Ben Hudson, Fergus Watts and so on.

I believe the "loyalty card" is something used cynically by both players & clubs.

Not worth a trade. Wouldn't get a first rounder from him.... nor would we get as good in return. His injuries aren't musculo related... so he'll have more luck sooner or later and dominate.
I wouldnt do the trade if it was a first round draft pick although I would take some thought in it if they gave us a young consistant midfielder.

ie. Dale Thomas, Marc Murphy, Bryce Gibbs (plus a draft pick) eg..

IMO a trade that could be worth looking at is

Prismall (and a late draft pick) to Adelaide and Rielly to Geelong

Thoughts?

They are starting to give him some gametime now but I dont think they will play him for the rest of the year..

The rules governing list size, salary cap, forced delistings and drafting have put an end to what I'd call "old school" loyalty from a club to a player.

Plus today's cost of living, guaranteed future delisting (probably before you're ready to retire), possible long term injuries heightened by the increasing speed of the game, ever increasing influence of the player agents (who have zero loyalty to anyone except his/her client), plus the probability that the player is currently residing in a location not of his, or his family's, choice have eroded the loyalty once paramount in a players character.

In short, loyalty is only used by club &/or player when it is convenient, this is true for every AFL club, and every AFL player.

There are numerous examples even in yours, and my own club, and players of our clubs, of when loyalty has not been convenient -- Ben Hart, Jason Torney, Brett Montgomery, Stephen Paxman, Nick Stevens, Josh Carr, Ben Hudson, Fergus Watts and so on.

I believe the "loyalty card" is something used cynically by both players & clubs.

I think there is still loyalty - with some people within the game

you just can't hide behind it anymore, it doesn't go as far as it used to(Mark Taylor style)

Dude, you're way too cynical!

Sure there's no one in the AFL these days with Gary McIntosh or Michael Aish type loyalty but it still exists, particularly by blokes who were speculatively picked up and given an extra chance, except of course for Ben Hudson!

That's pure lunacy, why would we trade a first 18 player who is capable of starring for a fringe player and a speculative draft pick?

Don't know if you've seen Prismall but he is an absolute ball magnet. It's just that Geelong has a super midfield. If Prismall was added to our list, I think we'd benefit from it BUT not for Reilly.

Reilly would only be worth the trade if we got a Bryce Gibbs clone or someone with a bit of spark. Besides Walker.... our rookies don't seem to have much spark... dunno if its just me.

Don't know if you've seen Prismall but he is an absolute ball magnet. It's just that Geelong has a super midfield. If Prismall was added to our list, I think we'd benefit from it BUT not for Reilly.

Reilly would only be worth the trade if we got a Bryce Gibbs clone or someone with a bit of spark. Besides Walker.... our rookies don't seem to have much spark... dunno if its just me.

See here.......www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?p=11419103#post11419103

Obviously our most likely trade bait is Luke Jericho (please somebody take him off our hands and end the dithering over whether to retain or delist). However, I would like to suggest that Reilly might be considered a trade option as well.

This is NOT about bagging his playing ability - which he has in spades. Nor is it about starting any rumours - these speculations are mine and mine alone.

As I see it, Reilly is both an asset and a liability. For this reason, I would not mind at all if the Crows were to investigate the possibility of trading him at the end of the year. I'm not saying that they should actively pursue such a trade, but if they were to receive an offer for him then they would be remiss not to examine it closely.

Asset
There is no doubt that Reilly is a very good footballer. When fit, he is very much an automatic selection in our starting 18, not just the best 22. At 24 years of age, he's the second oldest of our "generation next" midfielders (8 months younger than Thompson).

Reilly is also a loyal player, who has very much changed his tune from the days when he talked about returning home at the end of his first contract. These days he's the player the club uses to talk other youngsters into staying!

Liability
Reilly has a reputation for missing a lot of games through injury. He's missed 8 games so far this year and 6 last year. He played every game in 2006, 23 of 25 in 2005 and every game after Craig's ascendancy in 2004. Actually, that's not such a bad record - which is a pity because it was this premise upon which I was going to hang the thread!

Trading - Pros
If you're going to get something worthwhile in trade week, you have to be prepared to give something worthwhile up. Whether that's a quality player or a high draft pick, it really doesn't matter. Reilly IS a quality player and I would expect that we could get something good in return - a late first round pick would be my expectation at the least. This would remove an injury prone player from our list, freeing up a position for someone who is (hopefully) available a greater proportion of the time.

Trading - Cons
The cons are obvious. We'd be giving up a very good player, for what may well be an unknown (draft pick). We'd also be showing a great deal of disloyalty to a player who has shown himself to be loyal to our club.

Feel free to discuss...

d
Definitely No,Radars injury in the opening game of the season was caused
by Minson well of the ball, being knocked to the ground & breaking his wrist, that IMO Minson should have had to face the tribunal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brent Reilly - Trade Bait?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back