List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s fair to say with Rozee now. Go back on here a few of years ago and Rozee was going to be a bust - too soft etc

There isn’t anything to suggest Rachele can’t become a 23-27 touch per game player. And that would put him tight in the mix

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Said by those that can’t admit to anything good associated with port.
Would be the same clowns still saying the same thing now.

1.5m x 8 for Weitering as a 26 yo….wow. Also says Blues have offered Hayward 650k per year x 6

The Blues’ salary cap is already close to bursting, but the club is confident it can snare Will Hayward from Sydney on a six-year contract worth $650,000 per season.

The South Australian-born Hayward is also being courted by both Adelaide and Port Adelaide.
I posted this in the rumours thread thinking that the headline figure of 1.5 million was excessive (especially given that their defence isn't exactly a weakness), but I had no idea on the length. 8 years? Are they for real?

Carlton's offer to Hayward is interesting too. I wonder if we could get away with a 700-750k offer for him, rather than the 800-850k that was rumoured.

"In 2024, $700,000 a year is the new $500,000, especially for free agents.

And as a result free agents and out-of-contract players who didn’t even finish top 10 in their club’s best-and-fairests are about to get the payday of their lives.

It is the result of a salary cap which skyrockets next year to $17.7 million and of clubs which retained plenty of last year’s 10 per cent pay rise under the new collective agreement.

The salary cap immediately went up 10 per cent in 2023 and five per cent for 2024 but perhaps only half of players had clauses in their contracts which immediately handed on those pay rises.

So many of those clubs now have vast war chests - think Hawthorn, St Kilda, North Melbourne, Essendon, Fremantle, West Coast and Adelaide .

Those same clubs can now lock away first-round picks on mandatory three-year deals - a nice saving - and will continue to offer rock-bottom deals to fringe players despite the cap going up 27 per cent from 2023 to 2025."

"Adelaide tried to get ahead of the trend by offering Harrison Petty $800,000 a year - with as much as $1.2 million front-ended into 2024 - as they sniffed the breeze."

That’s not a percentage of cap deal though

For example, player X is to be paid 8% of the salary cap

Is different to players whose contract spans multiple CBA’s and has an uplift clause

1.5m x 8 for Weitering as a 26 yo….wow. Also says Blues have offered Hayward 650k per year x 6

The Blues’ salary cap is already close to bursting, but the club is confident it can snare Will Hayward from Sydney on a six-year contract worth $650,000 per season.

The South Australian-born Hayward is also being courted by both Adelaide and Port Adelaide.
Watch out for Dons too as they have oodles of cap space.

Good time to be a FA with the huge increases in salary cap.

I still maintain we would be one of the few clubs that would have MASSIVE coin available in the cap.

-Sloane gone
-Smith surely to retire at the end of the year.
-Tex 50/50 to play on next year and only on moderate 1 year deals as it is.
-Rach & Soligo locked away long term and likely front loaded
-Our two best players Rankine and Dawson are mid contracts and will easily retain them on increased coin when needed.
-ROB/Laird/Keays/Crouch would be all on 'moderate' to above average coin.

The vast bulk of the rest of our players are rookies/recent draftees, role players or 'emerging' players like Nank/Pedlar/Worrell/Keane etc.

Probably hardest one to value is Fogarty as he is inconsistent but seems a affable country kid who will probably prefer to stay in Adelaide (like Tex has).

You look at alot of the top sides, they would have at least 2 or 3 players on $1m+ a season deals... We are nowhere close to that.

I think Laird and OBrien are alot more than moderate. Likewise Fog. Any player with any value wants as much money as they can. Tex would of cared a bit less in recent years but we paid him really well.

I also think Milera is on really good money. He negotiated his contract when there was a player exodus.

I posted this in the rumours thread thinking that the headline figure of 1.5 million was excessive (especially given that their defence isn't exactly a weakness), but I had no idea on the length. 8 years? Are they for real?

Carlton's offer to Hayward is interesting too. I wonder if we could get away with a 700-750k offer for him, rather than the 800-850k that was rumoured.

850 is what his manager wants

I think Laird and OBrien are alot more than moderate. Likewise Fog. Any player with any value wants as much money as they can. Tex would of cared a bit less in recent years but we paid him really well.

I also think Milera is on really good money. He negotiated his contract when there was a player exodus.
Yeah, when those speculative player wage figures come out (like the top 100 highest paid players in the league lists), O'Brien and Laird are normally considered as two of our top four or five highest earners.

That’s fair to say with Rozee now. Go back on here a few of years ago and Rozee was going to be a bust - too soft etc

There isn’t anything to suggest Rachele can’t become a 23-27 touch per game player. And that would put him tight in the mix

Only if you value all touches equally.

That offer for Weitering makes a lot of sense. SOS in charge at St Kilda now. Get a big marquee signing to come across. Build a list around a very good spine. It's huge money, but if you want to get a player of Weitering's ilk to move, it needs to be. Will be an interesting watch that's for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positional value matters.

He’s a replacement for McAdam, and at those rates that’s premium money for a very non-premium position
It's overs but who else out there are we a realistic chance of getting?

Here's the players we've picked up via trade or FA since 2012 (when free agency was introduced):

2023 - Chris Burgess
2022 - Izak Rankine
2021 - Jordan Dawson
2020 - Mitch Hinge (DFA)
2019 - Billy Frampton
2018 - Shane McAdam and Tyson Stengle
2017 - Bryce Gibbs and Sam Gibson
2016 - None
2015 - Dean Gore, Curtly Hampton, Troy Menzel and Paul Seedsman
2014 - Kyle Cheney and Luke Lowden
2013 - James Podsiadly and Eddie Betts (FA)
2012 - Angus Graham

Pretty much every player above is from or has ties to SA. We all want an A grade mid but history suggests we'll need to draft them (and hope they stick around).

On a bigger ground Hayward could utilise his speed and athleticism more than what he currently can on the smaller SCG, so at least there's some potential upside.

That offer for Weitering makes a lot of sense. SOS in charge at St Kilda now. Get a big marquee signing to come across. Build a list around a very good spine. It's huge money, but if you want to get a player of Weitering's ilk to move, it needs to be. Will be an interesting watch that's for sure.
I forgot SOS was now at Saints... & loves to target players from his old club.

The money is massive and seems overs to “old fashioned” me. But 8 years at 26 on 1.5m is crazy risky for a KPP.

Only if you value all touches equally.

Certainly don’t

Rachele has better kicking efficiency, similar score involvements. Is elite for metres gained for his current position and statistical better than Rozee at the same age in pretty much every category

Meanwhile Connor is above average in a number of stats - he is a gun - but only rated elite in 1, free kicks for!!

Rachele needs to continue to develop clearly to equal or top Rozee - who is an out and out star

But at the same stage he is tracking just as well

The money is massive and seems overs to “old fashioned” me. But 8 years at 26 on 1.5m is crazy risky for a KPP.

Now that's real 4D chess... delist good young player therefore making them a free agent for life. Good club develops them, then get them back as finished products for free, as free agents.

It's overs but who else out there are we a realistic chance of getting?

Here's the players we've picked up via trade or FA since 2012 (when free agency was introduced):

2023 - Chris Burgess
2022 - Izak Rankine
2021 - Jordan Dawson
2020 - Mitch Hinge (DFA)
2019 - Billy Frampton
2018 - Shane McAdam and Tyson Stengle
2017 - Bryce Gibbs and Sam Gibson
2016 - None
2015 - Dean Gore, Curtly Hampton, Troy Menzel and Paul Seedsman
2014 - Kyle Cheney and Luke Lowden
2013 - James Podsiadly and Eddie Betts (FA)
2012 - Angus Graham

Pretty much every player above is from or has ties to SA. We all want an A grade mid but history suggests we'll need to draft them (and hope they stick around).

On a bigger ground Hayward could utilise his speed and athleticism more than what he currently can on the smaller SCG, so at least there's some potential upside.

Chicken or egg?

Our list building for free agents has been built around availability and not need.

Certainly don’t

Rachele has better kicking efficiency, similar score involvements. Is elite for metres gained for his current position and statistical better than Rozee at the same age in pretty much every category

Meanwhile Connor is above average in a number of stats - he is a gun - but only rated elite in 1, free kicks for!!

Rachele needs to continue to develop clearly to equal or top Rozee - who is an out and out star

But at the same stage he is tracking just as well

It seems a lot of people on this board have forgot that neither Rozee or Butters were playing midfield until year 4. Rozee only went in there after they got thrashed by Carlton at the MCG, it didn’t happen at the start of year 4.

Chicken or egg?

Our list building for free agents has been built around availability and not need.
Agreed but is what we need actually available? McCluggage would be my first choice (though seems destined to stay at Brissie or go home to Vic) but Hayward is arguably the next best option from this year's FA crop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back