Brent Stanton - A Grade footballer

Remove this Banner Ad

endurance/fitness...A grade

no pressure skills by hand and foot/tackling...B+

hardness/courage/toughness/disposal under pressure...C

Coming from the biggest Stanton basher on BigFooty :rolleyes:. Wouldn't know he averages 8.5 CP a game and 3.4 clearances a game...

And how often does he perform to that high standard that he shows every now and then? The good players make it there standard to play to such a high level, the odd quiet game is the exception, players like Stanton and Grigg are good players, and as I said, B grade players who every now and then play a very good stand out game which makes people think they are better then what they are.

And in no way am I saying it's a bad thing, because, every team needs players like Stanton and Grigg, but, at the end of the day they aren't your pillars in the midfield, they are your icing on the cake, and I even place Deledio on that same level this year, Deledio has been very consistent for a long time regularly performing, but this year he's played like a C/B grader for the majority, been very disappointing this year.

I might be a tad bias as you can see by my DP but I think that Stanton is significantly a better player than Grigg. Opposition coaches put alot of time and attention into Stanton as opposed to Grigg who has never seen a hard tag in his life.

I might be a tad bias as you can see by my DP but I think that Stanton is significantly a better player than Grigg. Opposition coaches put alot of time and attention into Stanton as opposed to Grigg who has never seen a hard tag in his life.

Well the hard tags mostly always go to Cotchin and Deledio, which leaves a lot of our other midfielders left to do as they please, the way I see it is, with Jobe Watson he is pretty much untaggable due to his play style and obviously being a very talented footballer, which just means the opposition send the tag to the next best which happens to be Stanton.

And how often does he perform to that high standard that he shows every now and then? The good players make it there standard to play to such a high level, the odd quiet game is the exception, players like Stanton and Grigg are good players, and as I said, B grade players who every now and then play a very good stand out game which makes people think they are better then what they are.

And in no way am I saying it's a bad thing, because, every team needs players like Stanton and Grigg, but, at the end of the day they aren't your pillars in the midfield, they are your icing on the cake, and I even place Deledio on that same level this year, Deledio has been very consistent for a long time regularly performing, but this year he's played like a C/B grader for the majority, been very disappointing this year.

I'm not arguing he's a top level mid. I just don't think the Grigg comparison does Stanton justice.

I'm not arguing he's a top level mid. I just don't think the Grigg comparison does Stanton justice.

The point I was making was that Grigg was putting up similar numbers last year, but I don't think at any point in time did anyone think Grigg was a A grade midfielder, Stanton when he plays his above average game may be better then Griggs, but at the end of the day the norm would be B/B+ standard games.

The point I was making was that Grigg was putting up similar numbers last year, but I don't think at any point in time did anyone think Grigg was a A grade midfielder, Stanton when he plays his above average game may be better then Griggs, but at the end of the day the norm would be B/B+ standard games.

Ok I see where you're coming from.

Would I be right in saying that without making allowances for players being tagged/injured than Richmond haven't had an 'A grade' mid this season?

The point we were making was that whilst they may have been putting up similar numbers, Stanton was doing it under a tag.

The point we were making was that whilst they may have been putting up similar numbers, Stanton was doing it under a tag.

And at the end of the day they are still B/B+ players, the really good/elite players just play through a tag and rarely ever have a quiet game, Stanton, is without a doubt a good player and he would quite easily make most teams midfields, but players like Stanton and others who play in a similar fashion are nothing more then decent players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It has to be said, the potential was always there, it was just the consistency that was lacking. He's always been a reasonable player easily finding the pill, but he's taken it to another level this year. Obviously not a hard inside midfielder, but a very good outside mid.

Barring an injury, there hasn't been more than a couple of games where he hasn't had a real impact. He's taken over the captaincy in Jobe Watson's absence and performed exceptionally well so far.

The ability to cope better with tags has taken a while, but with the engine he posseses, it's almost impossible to stay with him for an entire match.

Top 5 link players in the AFL, definately Essendon's second best midfielder.

1st - Total inside 50s
2nd - Inside 50s per game
4th - Uncontested possesions per game
4th - Total kicks
3rd - Kicks per game

He also averages over 4 tackles and 5 marks per game just to name a few stats.

What are your opinions?

I am going to enjoy this... So How many AA selections has he got? How many Brownlows?

Only reason he has been decent is that Opposition teams are focused on Shutting down Goddard and Watson.

walks easily into every side in the comp
not having a go at your cause so many people use this line but it doesn't make sense. anyone that is in the best ten players at any club would get a gig at any other club. at a club like essendon, sitting third, you'd expected pretty much anyone in their starting line-up to get a run at another club give or take maybe their bottom 3-4 depending on some other clubs strengths and weaknesses.

brent stanton is clearly in the top ten at essendon.

Answer me this question.

If Stanton's touches are undamaging why is he tagged? I know some will say that he is tagged because he is the easiest to shut out but why bother tagging him in the first place if he is so ineffectual? You can't have it both ways.

You don't know the basics of AFL tactics dont you?

ok allow me to explain... So you think Stanton is Elite? Now when opposition teams face your mob, who would be the 1st 2 mids that opposition teams would try and shut down? Goddard and Watson.

Now let us all look at Freo... go on the Freo board, some dockers fans wanted Stephen Hill to be dropped during the season because he has a few games where he got 15-20 disposals. Why hasn't he been Dropped?

Go watch the Saints game vs Freo. Stephen Hill only had 12 disposals... But guess what? Danyle Pearce and David Mundy got over 20 disposals and 2 goals each... One mid gets the heavy tag, the others rake the dividends and damage the Opposition.

Drop Goddard and Zachariakis and lets see if Stanton can single handedly beat the Hawks mids on friday.

Only reason he has been decent is that Opposition teams are focused on Shutting down Goddard and Watson.

That's why he's received tags from NvB, Crowley, C Jones, Macaffer, T Hunt, Raines, Jackson, Bird, Ellard, Rosa, K Cornes and C Smith this season. The teams that didn't tag him were Melbourne, GWS and GC. GWS first game he went off injured at HT (can't remember why). The other three games he averaged 29 disposals, 6 marks, 2 goals and 2 goal assists per game, as well as 7 inside 50's. Actually watch a game, yeah?

That's why he's received tags from NvB, Crowley, C Jones, Macaffer, T Hunt, Raines, Jackson, Bird, Ellard, Rosa, K Cornes and C Smith this season. The teams that didn't tag him were Melbourne, GWS and GC. GWS first game he went off injured at HT (can't remember why). The other three games he averaged 29 disposals, 6 marks, 2 goals and 2 goal assists per game, as well as 7 inside 50's. Actually watch a game, yeah?

Crowley did not go after Stanton, Im certain of it. He chased after Watson. Im going on your teams website to see Stanton stats.

Crowley did not go after Stanton, Im certain of it. He chased after Watson. Im going on your teams website to see Stanton stats.

He was definitely tagging Stanton. You could see Goddard getting Crowley off Stanton as many times as he could.

So Stanton is Averaging 26 disposals a game... Lets see if he does the same thing on friday then...

22 against Freo, 36 against Sydney, 31 against Collingwood, 39 against Richmond, 27 against Port of the current top 8 sides. I reckon he'll be right

Guy is a coaches player. Huge workrate, smart, skills, leads and doesn't give up. Any coach would love to have a player like Stanton in their team. The guy deserves all good things that come his way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brent Stanton - A Grade footballer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back