Brett Deledio's Tiger deal on hold

Remove this Banner Ad

RICHMOND star Brett Deledio has put contract talks on hold, subjecting the Tigers to an excruciating wait.

Deledio, 24, is a prime target for Greater Western Sydney and also qualifies for free agency when his deal expires in October.

The dual best-and-fairest winner has said he wants to stay at Punt Rd, but is eager to play finals.

It means a miserable season for the Tigers, who haven't played off in September since 2001, could cost the club his signature.

Richmond opens its season against Carlton, Collingwood and Melbourne and could be forced to wait until mid-season to learn of Deledio's decision.

It is understood Deledio's management, led by Anthony McConville - who also handles Tigers vice-captain Trent Cotchin - is prepared to delay talks despite the speculation.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/brett-deledios-tiger-deal-on-hold/story-e6frf9jf-1226252896692

Yikes! Unfortunately can't see us playing finals this year, but hopefully we show enough through the year for him to want to stick with us.

Am I right in saying that we'd still have first right of refusal on any amount he's offered?

Yeah not keen on leaving Melbourne so GWS are not on the radar but very keen to get to the Cattery is what my sources tell me. Plenty of sightings over the last few years at Lorne especially around new years .
His manager is holding off till March 20th before announcing that he's off to Geelong next year.

Not sure of what draft picks we'll get as compensation though. Expect the AFL to announce that once he puts pen to paper.

Gonna miss him as his best footy is ahead of him in my opinion.

I hope the 'want to play finals' thing isn't just a PR strategy to avoid speculation about gws. In lids we must trust I guess.

Yeah not keen on leaving Melbourne so GWS are not on the radar but very keen to get to the Cattery is what my sources tell me. Plenty of sightings over the last few years at Lorne especially around new years .
His manager is holding off till March 20th before announcing that he's off to Geelong next year.

Not sure of what draft picks we'll get as compensation though. Expect the AFL to announce that once he puts pen to paper.

He couldn't make such an announcement even if he wanted to as he's a restricted free agent so if we match his deal (which should be easy since the cats would have much less cap space) he either has to stay, get a trade, or chance the draft. Announcing it that early would also cost him match payments this year because he wouldn't get picked after that.

Gutted if dosent sign us. and yet i knew this would happen just had that feeling.

REAL question is... if he holds of talks with Richmond Aka Scully/Gary type thing do we continue to play him or replace him as soon as possible ?

Tiger Fans embrace your self's for a speculation year when we should be focused on footy

Lost me on the above statement. You will never see a player in AFL play a game let alone a season with the supporters knowing he is going elsewhere next year.

That he has been seen in Lorne being linked to wanting to go the Cats is a bit humourous aswell. I saw footage of him at the airport a few times last year so my bet is that he is keen to get to Essendon.

He will remain a Tiger but is just going to get the money that comes with a manager successfully playing our weak pecking order that would have him the highest paid player in Richmond history over the next five years. Yep, move aside Gaspar.

That would make no sense to announce it before the season starts. He is still obliged to play for us in 2012. I honestly think it is do or die here. The Tigers honestly have to throw everything at Deledio to keep him. If we lose him, then our past 3 years will have been wasted.

He couldn't make such an announcement even if he wanted to as he's a restricted free agent so if we match his deal (which should be easy since the cats would have much less cap space) he either has to stay, get a trade, or chance the draft. Announcing it that early would also cost him match payments this year because he wouldn't get picked after that.

you Sure?

With the retirment of ling and Abblet gone they shoudl have plenty of room

ill probably cry if he goes

Lost me on the above statement. You will never see a player in AFL play a game let alone a season with the supporters knowing he is going elsewhere next year.

That he has been seen in Lorne being linked to wanting to go the Cats is a bit humourous aswell. I saw footage of him at the airport a few times last year so my bet is that he is keen to get to Essendon.

He will remain a Tiger but is just going to get the money that comes with a manager successfully playing our weak pecking order that would have him the highest paid player in Richmond history over the next five years. Yep, move aside Gaspar.

He is already one of the top paid players in the AFL 600k i belive so i dont think its the money so much.

i think its finals and premiership titles

Was pretty chummy with Gia and Jimmy Bartel at Newy's wedding. Still, I can't see him leaving. We can't expect him to sign up this early anyway.

In the article, there isn't any indication of him leaving. Actually, it just says, Deledio has said he wants to stay at Punt Rd, but is eager to play finals.

For all we know, this could be some master plot by the Richmond football club to give the players an extra incentive to play finals this year.

This is probably just media hype-up. We'll get a lot of it throughout the year, we just have to stay strong and trust in Deledio and the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dunno, Scully and Ablett made more sense. Probably my heart talking, but Ablett had achieved everything and wanted the chance to build something from the ground up, and as captain. Scully got paid squillions to leave a club he was never attached to and join one that is probably going to have long term success. Lids won't join a franchise. Only clubs like Geelong, Carltank and possibly St Kilda would be a threat. Hawthorn couldn't afford him.

Provided its primarily a cash issue. Surely he'd have to have faith in the direction we're heading. No team is certain to be successful, even Geelong.

you Sure?

With the retirment of ling and Abblet gone they shoudl have plenty of room

ill probably cry if he goes

That money earmarked for Ablett would have ended up in someone else's pockets by now, and as much as Ling was rated very highly down at Geelong, I'd be very surprised if he was on big money.

Well unlike alot of you on here I'm confident he will stay. He's one of the mature members of the team, clearly has a leadership role, has been through dreadful times with the club, he has his best footy ahead of him and he wants it to be accompanied with success unlike the last 7 years of his career. Providing we can show some further improvement this year and make a strong case for finals I can't think of any real reason why he would leave.

While we can almost certainly match any cash offer and thus stop free agency coming into play, if he came to the club, said he wanted out, and couldn't be convinced otherwise, there is no question we'd make a trade (or let him go R-FA and take the compo).

I dont know about you guys ,but I dont like this crap about him and his manager holding us ransom if we make finals he will stay.Just remember guys no one is bigger then the club !!.He wants to go 2 first round picks and I'm happy.I reckon will get that for him if he decides to go.Cats have the 2 picks in the first round from Ablett leaving to.

It does worry me.

Free agency and GWS is a bit of a double whammy. Given the GAJ/Scully saga's I take no comfort from the throwaway lines re: wanting to stay at the club.

If you had to take a bet on which of our stars (Deledio, Cotchin, Martin, Reiwoldt) was most likely to walk on the club. My money would be on Brett.

There isn't much loyalty in the game (both ways, from clubs to players as well as players to clubs), chances of success and money will guide his decision.

I just hope the club isn't held to ransom.

GWS are a non-issue as they probably won't be playing finals for at least another 3 years, and its pretty well known that Lids aspirations are to.

It'll be interesting how the Cats go this year, after it was genearlly regarded that they would be starting to go down after having a number of years at the top. If they show signs of weakness thru the year, that'll make it harder to "convince" Lids to come across.
i think any club that shows its going to make the 8, and is in improving mode, will be attractive to Lids. Obviously the pies is the standout there, but the Blues (if Lids can kiss and make up with Mitch) and Essendon (at a longer shot) as well.

Lids management is doing what his management should, and that is talk up his price. But i take solace in that his management is that of Cotch's, and Cotch is not going anywhere short term.

I think we're lucky that free agency didn't come in 1 to 2 years ago, because Lids would have been a certain walker.

Don't reckon he'll leave as we can afford to match other offers and our club's heading in the right direction.

However if he does leave... sh!t happens!!!... we'll be well compensated draft wise and a stack of cash will become free in our salaray cap... leaving plenty of room for a raid on another gun player.

... so, we lose a gun, but we'll receive good draft compensation and another gun... that's a win!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Brett Deledio's Tiger deal on hold

Remove this Banner Ad

Back