Brett Deledio's Tiger deal on hold

Remove this Banner Ad

Given what's happened in the last two seasons with GAJ and $cully nothing would surprise me more if this refusal to renew his contract does have some weight to it. I can't imagine why a bloke like Lids who has seen all the kids coming up around him wouldn't be banging on the door to have his contract extended?

The door swings both ways though so with free agency coming in then if Lids goes it frees up a big chunk of $$ for us to chase a replacement:thumbsu:

I almost forgot about that point! It would be a cse of goodbye Lids hello Pendlebury. The landscape of footy has well and truly changed.

when the manager says talks are suspended till we say so, and the player wants to play finals, this is usually code for "its not you, its me, but I don't want to dump you today and be the bad guy"

Hope I'm wrong, but reckon he's gornski :(

He is far from irreplaceable and if he wants to put a unrealistic price on his head , putting himself ahead of the club , **** him off.

This.

I hope he re-signs for you guys, but if he holds out past a certain point, I hope your club makes a strong decision and does not play him in the seniors.

Deledio is being very ordinary, and ethically he should commit another 2 years, and then if the Tigers are struggling, it would be fair for him to review his career options.

Bailing on a club at 24, is ludicrous stuff.

I understand that feeling.

Feels weird considering him jumping ship, not as bothered by it as I think I should/would be.

It also annoys me that he was presented life membership and before another game has been played he has added unnecessary publicity upon the whole club , seemingly to increase his own gain , whether that be financial or not , with little respect for his club or teammates . I wonder how Kelvin Moore feels reading that article ?

Don't need him anymore anyway.

Failed in the midfield and we don't need to try him there anymore with Cotch, Martin, Foley, Conca & Ellis there.

Half Back Flank?
Meh... Newman, Batchelor, Houli, Morris, Dea, Arnott... no room for Lids.

Although I s'pose we could play him at half forward... would probably kick 2 or 3 goals a game from there... ;)

Whilst there appears to be some talk of Geelong being talked of as being "interested" in Deleidio and maybe him even wanting to come here and believe mme we would have him in a heartbeat i just dont think it will happen.

Now correct me if i'm wrong but with free agency for Deleidio if Richmond matched any offer Geeong made he would have to stay at Richmond. Now at Geelong i believe there is no player on more than $600k (Brian Cook said so) it was so we could keep the list together. So if he wanted to come to Geelong i would suggest he wouldnt be on much more than $600k a figure Richmond would be more than happy to pay him. As mich as i would love to have him i just cant see it happening.

We have been through this stuff with Gary and its a pain i hope he stays at Richmond for your sake but this is how the landscape is now and all clubs must get used to it.

It also annoys me that he was presented life membership and before another game has been played he has added unnecessary publicity upon the whole club , seemingly to increase his own gain , whether that be financial or not , with little respect for his club or teammates . I wonder how Kelvin Moore feels reading that article ?
Do you really think he called his manager & asked him to put that article out?
Persoanlly I very much doubt it.

I know of one player who was furious when a similar article came out about them.

I hadn't considered this angle/aspect.

Accept life membership one week ... not sure if you want to be at the club the next.

Certainly leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

Whilst there appears to be some talk of Geelong being talked of as being "interested" in Deleidio and maybe him even wanting to come here and believe mme we would have him in a heartbeat i just dont think it will happen.

Now correct me if i'm wrong but with free agency for Deleidio if Richmond matched any offer Geeong made he would have to stay at Richmond. Now at Geelong i believe there is no player on more than $600k (Brian Cook said so) it was so we could keep the list together. So if he wanted to come to Geelong i would suggest he wouldnt be on much more than $600k a figure Richmond would be more than happy to pay him. As mich as i would love to have him i just cant see it happening.

We have been through this stuff with Gary and its a pain i hope he stays at Richmond for your sake but this is how the landscape is now and all clubs must get used to it.
The Gary situation was different, it was probably $500k p.a. between what you could possibly offer & what GC could.
Only a once- (sorry, twice-) off situation, thankfully.

Richmond's offer vs Geelong's wouldn't be anywhere near that much of a difference.

Wow cannot believe how much the knives have come out from some Richmond supporters. Seriously give the guy a break this is management 101.

As I said previously my source had a convo with Lids about this and he stated "why would I leave". He believes the club is in a great possie going forward and said the only thing that would send him elsewhere would be a $$ offer to good to refuse. THis would account for most players I would think.

Also he will make more money with Richmond in the long term as he will be eligable for the vetrans list in another 3 years meaning only half his salary will count. I am sure that is something else Richmond will factor into convos.

From what I have been told he will stay but it's standard not to sign to early to maxamise earnings which he is entitled to do.

Also didn't see any direct quotes from Deledio in that article about "playing finals or I will walk".

Maybe few of you need to take a deep breath.

Wow cannot believe how much the knives have come out from some Richmond supporters. Seriously give the guy a break this is management 101.

As I said previously my source had a convo with Lids about this and he stated "why would I leave". He believes the club is in a great possie going forward and said the only thing that would send him elsewhere would be a $$ offer to good to refuse. THis would account for most players I would think.

Also he will make more money with Richmond in the long term as he will be eligable for the vetrans list in another 3 years meaning only half his salary will count. I am sure that is something else Richmond will factor into convos.

From what I have been told he will stay but it's standard not to sign to early to maxamise earnings which he is entitled to do.

Also didn't see any direct quotes from Deledio in that article about "playing finals or I will walk".

You may well be right.

But it's implicit in the stalling of contract talks and stating a desire to play finals, that he is in fact saying (in public) "I'm not sure the Richmond Football Club can meet my ambitions."

It maybe management 101 but it lacks class.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only issue is the suspension of talks. Last two players who did this were Scully and the bloke from the dogs.

If he hadn't suspended talks, it would be very different for me.

All being said, no ill will to him, gotta do whats best for you. Will miss him though if he leaves - he makes us a better side and we won't get like for like in terms of compo if past AFL form is any guide.

Logically the only clubs that could get him would be GC/GWS. With GWS having the firepower to do it.

If he is after $ then they might buy him. And we get compensation as per GAJ. Compared to Scully we should get 3 early 1st rounders. Compared to GAJ 2.

I expect him to resign, and I think this is all the manager trying to get his $ at RFC up. Nothing but good timing to maximise member anxiety in a quiet news period.

Good troll TRT.

Can't believe people still fall for it:eek:

A lot of chicken little happening here, fancy a manager trying to get the highest price he can, I'm very confident he won't be leaving, he loves it at Richmond, no doubt we are headed in the right direction at last and he is headed to the midfield and we are expecting him to play best footy of his career.
It's only January FFS why would he sign early for less then what he is worth?

I think we're lucky that free agency didn't come in 1 to 2 years ago, because Lids would have been a certain walker.

If free agency came in 1-2 years ago, he wouldn't have been eligible.

Great point mate. I reckon it would turn up a few noses if Deledio rolled up to Geelong getting paid more than the dozen or so AA players in the team. God I admire the culture your club has created.

Here here! It goes to show how little footy news we've got when this post gets 5 pages of responses in the first couple of hours. Hurry up NAB Cup! I know you're make believe but at least you're something to stop journalists writing about Andrew Walker's hat....

I know of one player who was furious when a similar article came out about them.

Managers have a choice on what they say to the media and whether they say anything at all .
Likewise players choose their manager and also whether to stay with that manager if the manager does or says something they find offensive .

This is going to be very interesting to see how this pans out, not from a Richmond point of view but from strategy point of view across the league.

As I understand it as Deledio is in Richmond's top five paid players so they can match any offer that a team offers him. Collingwood would only be able to pay any reasonable salary if it loses a big name player to GWS. It was reported by many media outlets late last year that because of changes to veterans rules and retirements that Geelong will have at least $800k-$900k in salary cap space. Hence, money wise Geelong is going to be a suitor, Collingwood may be. Both of those also fit the final criteria as you would think both are likely top four finishers this year.

The question is say Geelong offers Deledio a contract and he says I am leaving because I want to play finals, do Richmond match? I would think if he says he is leaving because he wants to play finals then you are really saying I have no faith in my team making the finals anytime soon and that is not the type of guy you want around. From Richmond's point of view, its a difficult decision.

The next question is do Richmond have a preference of where he lands? My understanding too is that whether he goes to a Geelong or GWS, the compensation formula is the same. So from a compensation point of view there is little difference but do Richmond make Deledio sweat and possibly be a bit nasty and keep telling him they will match anything a Geelong offers. Deledio would obviously say, well, then I will sign for GWS but I doubt he actually would.

Its interesting as do you match and do you have a preference where he goes? I tend to think, no and no but it would be interesting to see what Tiger fans think. Its probably all just Herald Sun hyperbole but its a situation that is going to come out soon with different players and teams.

Agree with Cole Train's opinion.
And Angel Eyes has it about right. Restricted free agency means we can match any offer given to him and he must stay. It's in two years time when he is a free agent unrestricted that they can walk anywhere after serving 10 years. I think he will stay and will be on big coin.
And even if he does go, the compensation in a bumper draft wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen.

I hadn't considered this angle/aspect.

Accept life membership one week ... not sure if you want to be at the club the next.

Certainly leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

FFS you two can't be serious.
It's a little puff piece without a single quote from him, this is management 101.
Jesus Christ people get a grip

Nothing article, Jack just tweeted Deledio stating "slow news day"

This is where club culture is so important.

Some people sneer at the idea, but it's the reason some clubs have marquee players taking pay cuts to stay, while others have to pay a premium to keep what they've got.

In the article, there isn't any indication of him leaving. Actually, it just says, Deledio has said he wants to stay at Punt Rd, but is eager to play finals.

For all we know, this could be some master plot by the Richmond football club to give the players an extra incentive to play finals this year.

This is probably just media hype-up. We'll get a lot of it throughout the year, we just have to stay strong and trust in Deledio and the club.

Heh, maybe Lids' own plan to rev his teammates up ;)

Maybe you should call Kelvin Moore and ask him, pretty sure he'd laugh in your face :)

I hope you dont mind the intrusion but I am dying to see a club take a stand like this. I think if one club has the balls to do it it will start something. Melbourne and Geelong both failed miserably on this so come on Tigers if need be, be the first! The club is always bigger than the individual.

You sound suspiciously like someone who believes the suggestion in an earlier post that he wants to go to Geelong. Haha :)

Cheers Equus ! Caught the article just before hitting the sack last night. I knew there would be panic in the streets for sure after that fluff piece so I thought I might add to it.

Lids is not going anywhere guys. He's been paid more money by the Richmond Footy Club over the last 6 years than any other player and is not short of a buck.

All his mates would turn their backs on him if he left the club to chase money and finals at another Victorian Club. I'd say Nathan Brown would let him know what that's like. unless it is ridiculous GWS money on the table all should be sweet . He is a Melbourne boy through and through and would not cope in the Western Suburbs of Sydney . He'll never get to wear his cool hats and beanies up there.

Genius Rusty :thumbsu: :)

Oh seriously, ffs. It's simple, players are presented with life membership at the next AGM after they have notched up 150 games. If he plays for the next ten years at another club, he is still a life member at Richmond regardless. If you don't like that, then bag the rule, not the player.

Yes, I can't believe he woke up this morning and decided to call the Hun to say he had an announcement to make :rolleyes:

Exactly Slats.

Funny stuff really.

Herald Sun is...

master-troll-e1301323817393.jpg

Wowweee some dumb posters on here.

He also said he wants to STAY at tigerland.

I get that Scully said that but he is a dishonest money grabber. Deledio has never been like that.

Back him in...

Remove this Banner Ad

Brett Deledio's Tiger deal on hold

Remove this Banner Ad

Back