Remove this Banner Ad

darkstranger

Debutant
Suspended
Aug 19, 2009
Box Hill
AFL Club
Collingwood
Was thinking about this then saw an article in todays paper about the speed kings

1st Akthar 161.3
2nd Lee 160.9 (not 160.8 as shown in the HS)
3rd Tait 160.7
4th Thommo 160.45

With he exception of Lee the other 3 were slingers - so with pure bowling action and strength to me Brett Lee was the strongest / quickest of them all.

Also, he was the one bowler who held his pace throughout ODI & Test matches - as is known as the fastest bowler on averages

Commets?

Is brett lee really the fastest bowler on averages? I would have thought that would be akhtar. I know the slinging point doesn't mean much but i agree it's more phenomenal with the straight bowling action.

Was thinking about this then saw an article in todays paper about the speed kings

1st Akthar 161.3
2nd Lee 160.9 (not 160.8 as shown in the HS)
3rd Tait 160.7
4th Thommo 160.45

With he exception of Lee the other 3 were slingers - so with pure bowling action and strength to me Brett Lee was the strongest / quickest of them all.

Also, he was the one bowler who held his pace throughout ODI & Test matches - as is known as the fastest bowler on averages

Commets?

I think the problem for Brett was that the batsmen got a better look at the ball because of Bingers smooth action. Whilst seriously quick, bowlers with slingy actions tend to make the batsmen unable to pick up the ball as easily. So pace isn't everything, just think of Tanvir from Pakistan. Not quick, but because his action was so weird, it took wickets.

The most important thing with Lee as compared to the others is that he has sustained his pace over a much longer period and has test wickets to prove that as well.

The others named in the list are largely one trick ponies (I have not watched Thomson so this is not a comment on him) and more often than not, the others have been in the news only for the speed of a particular ball rather than something like running through a side or a spell of sustained hostile bowling etc.

Therefore to me Lee is a greater bowler simply because he has sustained it over a long period.

The others named in the list are largely one trick ponies (I have not watched Thomson so this is not a comment on him) and more often than not, the others have been in the news only for the speed of a particular ball rather than something like running through a side or a spell of sustained hostile bowling etc.

This is a joke, right? Did you watch Akhtar during his peak? Also for all his screw-ups, Akhtar's records both in ODI's and Tests are sensational. At their best, I'd take him over Lee.

Thats the difference between Tait and Lee, Tait can bowl 2 overs at that pace, but Lee can bowl much longer, enough said.

In Thommo's day, the speed was recorded at the speed when it reached the batsman. That's about 10% of the pace knocked off already. Nowdays it's out of the hand, more or less. Thommo is the fastest bowler in the days of speedguns. Simple.

Regarding Tait v Lee. I know who I wouldn't want bowling to me. Brett Lee, quite an easy decision. Tait is an absolute spraypainter and bowls it with the pace where the slightest bit of mistiming won't make a monkey's of difference. Brett Lee has all the attributes a great fast bowler needs. However injury has taken it's toll and it he's not the bowler he was 5 years ago.

also - the ball is measured on the straight line trajectory - rather than the actual vector it is travelling (i.e the angle downwards)

Therefore the same ball out of the hand in a bouncer is going to measure slower - hence - lee bowling from a higher position that say tait - would have to bowl with greater velocity to measure the same.

Similarly a 150k fron garner would be truly frightening. (i don't know his speed - just using as an example)

But Tait is a good inch or two taller than Lee. Then again, Lee is delivering straight arm and Tait round arm, with Lee's elevation in the delivery stride.

I saw Thommo at the WACA as a kid. It was frightening from the sidelines let alone for the poor POMS who were facing it all day (with Lillee at his prime at the other end).
You could hear it thudding into the ribs like a boxer hitting a side of beef. Cowdrey for one was black and blue from waist to chest.
Thommo broke a guys leg through his pads, he was terrifying on his day.

In Thommo's day, the speed was recorded at the speed when it reached the batsman. That's about 10% of the pace knocked off already. Nowdays it's out of the hand, more or less. Thommo is the fastest bowler in the days of speedguns. Simple.

No it wasn't. It was done by frames per second. You're kidding yourself if you think he was bowling 170kphs from the hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well you might think Lee is a w***er but you can never doubt his work ethic and effort that he put in to his fitness to allow him to be the best he could. His body has packed it in on him now as he has gotten older but he was very well prepared. If only Tait had those attributes.

Well you might think Lee is a w***er but you can never doubt his work ethic and effort that he put in to his fitness to allow him to be the best he could. His body has packed it in on him now as he has gotten older but he was very well prepared. If only Tait had those attributes.

Personally never thought that of Lee - i always respected the commitment he gave test cricket - especially in his batting - however he just didn't progress over his career with his bowling.

He was caught between trying to be express and trying to be a consistant swing bowler. In the end - a lack of consistency kept him from being elite amongst his contempories - however 300 test wickets is a decent failure rate.

His white ball bowling, particulary with the new ball was special

I think I saw Tait bowling 160ks on Australian soil, this was just the other night.

I could absolutely swear that I saw a test in Aus, possibly against the poms a couple years back where he bowled a spell of about half an hour right around the 160km mark? I remember he looked unplayable and kept thudding the ball into the batsmens pads over and over again. Thats why that list of fastest deliveries bothers me because unless I'm dreaming I can definitely remember him bowling between the 158-161 mark

That being Tait bowls quicker in his prime than Lee? Of course. The only time Lee broke the 160k barrier was at altitude, Tait's done it twice on Australian soil.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brett Lee V Shaun Tait

Remove this Banner Ad

Back