T20 World Cup Game 48 Super Eight Australia v Afghanistan June 23 1000hrs @ Arnos Vale Stadium St Vincent

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We're not punishing the men's team, we're punishing the governance
If we applied the standards to Afghanistan that we applied to South Africa in the 70s and 80s there's no way we'd be playing them. Uganda would be a bit dubious too.

I don’t know enough about the state of Afghanistan to probably comment but it seems silly to punish the men’s side who all seem like good men, as if us not playing them will make them reconsider a women’s side lol
Cheers to Afghanistan for winning this game. Better team clearly.

But they should be banned from all international sport (Saudi Arabia and others also) until women's rights are respected.

Sorry but since working with colleagues who work in the women's safety space, I have zero tolerance for the neanderthals in these countries who discriminate against and persecute women under the guise of religion, tradition or just cause they are $hit blokes.

rant over.

If we do beat India our NNR will probably be around one full point ahead of AFG, but they'll know exactly what they need to do being the later match.

On Redmi Note 8 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cheers to Afghanistan for winning this game. Better team clearly.

But they should be banned from all international sport (Saudi Arabia and others also) until women's rights are respected.

Sorry but since working with colleagues who work in the women's safety space, I have zero tolerance for the neanderthals in these countries who discriminate against and persecute women under the guise of religion, tradition or just cause they are $hit blokes.

rant over.
I'm fully onboard with this, but it is a slippery slope at where you draw the line - does religious indoctrination that forces women to cover themselves for "modesty" purposes qualify for boycotting also?
I mean we know the reason behind this practice, so do we accept that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Australia will need to beat India by about 40 runs to overtake their NRR, if we do that we’d guarantee ourselves a Semi Final place and India would be at risk of not qualifying if Afg beat Bangladesh by a decent amount

Australia v India is a massive because you’d think on form Afghanistan easily beat Bangladesh

I'm fully onboard with this, but it is a slippery slope at where you draw the line - does religious indoctrination that forces women to cover themselves for "modesty" purposes qualify for boycotting also?
Sure but everything in this space is a slippery slope/grey boundary. And these countries are way on the dark side of the boundary. I'd be willing to support the Afghan mens team playing international cricket if you could guarantee every woman in Afghanistan the right to get an education and a job if they want one - that wouldn't fix the whole country but it would be a start. I'd be almost ok with Uganda too if they repealed the death penalty for homosexuality.

In Australia gambling and drinking correlate strongly with (and almost certainly have a causal impact on) domestic abuse but we aren't banning them. Though I think the average joe would agree we certainly need to make it much harder for problem gamblers to get their fix.

The line should be they don't even fulfill the requirements of having full ICC membership by having a women's team.

They're lucky they're still even playing.

The line should be they don't even fulfill the requirements of having full ICC membership by having a women's team.

They're lucky they're still even playing.

People lack opportunity all over the world, even Australia allow dodgy shit to happen, I’m on an Australian cruise line at the moment who pay there staff $700 a month lol, is that right? No.

If we applied the standards to Afghanistan that we applied to South Africa in the 70s and 80s there's no way we'd be playing them. Uganda would be a bit dubious too.
Correct.
South Africa were treated as a sporting pariah due to their treatment of a large portion of their population.
Not so with Afghanistan.

People lack opportunity all over the world, even Australia allow dodgy shit to happen, I’m on an Australian cruise line at the moment who pay there staff $700 a month lol, is that right? No.
What part of "shades of gray" don't you get? At some point you draw the line. It's unrealistic to think we can fix every problem in the world.

Your example is clearly a major injustice but is it as bad as a girl being beaten to death for attending school or a women imprisoned for driving a car?

Remove this Banner Ad

T20 World Cup Game 48 Super Eight Australia v Afghanistan June 23 1000hrs @ Arnos Vale Stadium St Vincent

Back