Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Everything can be reviewed, everything can be revisited. If I was in charge of the club, we'd have worn them and copped a premiership point deduction a couple of times so they AFL realised what we were willing to concede to achieve our outcome here.

The AFL don't want the integrity of the competition compromised over a guernsey, and they've pushed back because they know we'll fold. It's time to stop folding.
Yep. This is a good point.
I don't see any reason why you guys can't wear the traditional strip and I'm pretty sure there would be minimal opposition from the traditional Vic clubs. Geelong certainly wouldn't oppose it and having been to Football Park early in 1990 for an exhibition game between Port & Geelong it looked a great contrast against our navy and white hoops.

Easier said than done I know but you really should tell both Collingwood and the AFL to get phucked. It's probably been said before, but it would be a simple tweak to redesign the top black area above the vertical white bar to teal green to assuage Collingwood's angst and prevent a clash. And it would look sensational. That 'V' design currently just doesn't look right and doesn't embrace your history.

Loved the bars on Saturday night. Best thing was the zero song and dance about it. The quicker it becomes part of the furniture the better, like Brisbane wearing the Fitzroy jumper interstate.

Small sample size but from what I could tell on the Collingwood board, Port wearing the bars did not even register on their radar so that's a good sign that the gnashing of teeth in the Eddie years has passed on by.

Obviously its important to keep the regularity of the home showdown for now, but eventually I hope we have more discretion to switch to wearing it in a game (ANZAC day?) or home games of our choosing. A) they are somewhat wasted on the crows and b) I think aesthetically the showdowns work well with some teal to diffuse the tingle guernsey.

To my eye, the crows jumper stands out a lot against our V, but the PB gives us a lot more presence. Also, I reckon this PB version appeared to have slightly wider bars and wrapped around to the sides more, and optically it really stood out stronger.

Loved the bars on Saturday night. Best thing was the zero song and dance about it. The quicker it becomes part of the furniture the better, like Brisbane wearing the Fitzroy jumper interstate.

Small sample size but from what I could tell on the Collingwood board, Port wearing the bars did not even register on their radar so that's a good sign that the gnashing of teeth in the Eddie years has passed on by.

Obviously its important to keep the regularity of the home showdown for now, but eventually I hope we have more discretion to switch to wearing it in a game (ANZAC day?) or home games of our choosing. A) they are somewhat wasted on the crows and b) I think aesthetically the showdowns work well with some teal to diffuse the tingle guernsey.

I think this was a deliberate ploy by mainstream media not to even discuss it. It was becoming counter productive for Collingwood to keep challenging it in the end. They will pipe up some more if we begin to request it in other matches outside of the showdown.

I think this was a deliberate ploy by mainstream media not to even discuss it. It was becoming counter productive for Collingwood to keep challenging it in the end. They will pipe up some more if we begin to request it in other matches outside of the showdown.
It's not a ploy it's just was done last year and now it's normalised. Literally no one cared last year and the faux outraged died fast, if the club had a real leader we could have forced the issue years ago, given up nothing for it and be wearing it whenever we want at home, probably 3 or 4 times when it suits a clash better. Except, here we are still run by a club who'se leadership do not want it and do not understand the history behind it, fun times.

Rosemary having a crack at the PBs, saying that it makes us more aggressive or something like that.

Shit like this is why the Prison Bars are the best, nobody talks about other jumpers in that manner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good point. The AFL couldn't wait to push old Fitzroy off up north like a dirty secret after propping them up since the 60s. The silence around Brisbane adopting their old guernsey for away matches to appease the old ' Royboy ' supporters is deafening, although I have to admit to being perplexed why they wear it for away games anywhere other than Melbourne.

Even more ironic and perplexing is the adoption by the Toilet Ducks of the old South Melbourne guernsey in away games. Their move to Sydney caused an enormous rift in their supporter base and amongst the club administration.

The all round opposition to Port wearing the PB's considering these two examples beggars belief.

The all round opposition to Port wearing the PB's considering these two examples beggars belief.

Lions and Swans are VFL clubs. They don’t harm, but reinforce the myth of a Victorian football that finally spread itself beyond the state borders.

Port doesn’t fit into the narrative. We are the only constant reminder that there actually was football outside of Victoria.

We are a problem the league probably regrets have brought upon itself. Thus, we are treated accordingly.

Lions and Swans are VFL clubs. They don’t harm, but reinforce the myth of a Victorian football that finally spread itself beyond the state borders.

Port doesn’t fit into the narrative. We are the only constant reminder that there actually was football outside of Victoria.

We are a problem the league probably regrets have brought upon itself. Thus, we are treated accordingly.
Pretty fair point. Still can't get away from the fact though that seeing the old South Melbourne jumper run around must get under the nails of more than a few of the traditional South people, although in hindsight most of them would likely have passed on by now.
Going to be very interesting to see how this pans out when Tasmania comes in.

Unintended consequences of Dan being marched off to the tribunal.

Would be pissing McGuire off - if he is back from Paris - which is a good thing.

Cats out of the bag now. Pretty much seeing it displayed on all media sources. No one is commenting about us wearing it but who cares. It was never meant to be a controversial talking topic but previous negative publicity from Collingwood-centric media sources gave it more exposure than it really needed.

This AFLW stats site I occasionally visit. I went there to see how many games our new captain for the club Janelle Cuthbertson has played for the club and in her career.

Was pleasantly surprised by their home page. Might only last for a week, but its better than nothing.

1724828601335.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back