Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Brad Scott

Votes: 14 5.6%
  • Other

Votes: 85 34.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok so.. our club in all its virtue can steer applicants away without an interview because we are so 'in the know' when it comes to appointments and we can just kind of pick and choose who we let grace out interview table?

The idea of the coaching search, when done properly, is to cast the net 'far and wide' and to let applicants go through a rigorous process to unearth the best applicant, our process has not been that? so Stuart Dew wasn't worth interview, Caracalla wasn't worth interviewing?

It's either we are guiding an outcome in which we aren't following a rigorous process or it's a lame duck race?

The reason I raise this now is I want us to start just being normal and professional, if this process goes wrong or Fagen doesn't work out, I want to be able to at least say.. 'we left no stone unturned' in finding the best candidate and TBH, much like the rumours around Leppas appointment, it sounds like candidates just are sensing a bit of a 'bizarro world' vibe and backing away.

If the AFL is guiding the process, I want us to say 'We have forgone the interview process and would like to announce Chris Fagen as our senior coach, whilst the interview process is usually essential, we saw Chris as simply to perfect for our role as coach and didn't want to hesitate in naming him as our coach"

Instead we are doing a Pseudo fake coach search, so as we don't look like we 'jumped the gun' but in essence have just come out looking unprofessional again.

You might say I am being overly critical, but ask yourself this? has this process been the first step in a new professional era at the Brisbane Lions? no.. i would suggest it has been a continuation of a sort of Bizarro, grey area, nearly ran culture we seem to love to carry on with.

It's pretty hard for people to not get a sense of the specific sort of coach we're after fairly early in the process. People in the industry talk. Prospective coaches drop out of the process for other roles too for the same reason. They'd rather walk then waste their own time and get known as a reject.

Yes it's not a totally transparent X-Factor contest but there is a clear process taking place. The panel isn't there for show and from what I've been told they've presented the candidates with some hairy on-field and off-field hypothetical scenarios to address, and this is just part of it.

It's pretty hard for people to not get a sense of the specific sort of coach we're after fairly early in the process. People in the industry talk. Prospective coaches drop out of the process for other roles too for the same reason. They'd rather walk then waste their own time and get known as a reject.

Yes it's not a totally transparent X-Factor contest but there is a clear process taking place. The panel isn't there for show and from what I've been told they've presented the candidates with some hairy on-field and off-field hypothetical scenarios to address, and this is just part of it.

So, Imagine, Hypothetically that your two best players, who represent 50% of your clubs leadership group, were behaving like, entitled bullying douche bags...

#thatsortofthing?

I'd imagine this process they're running may be a little bit smokes and mirror to help find a senior assistant, out of Barker and new entered into the race Monty.

Also interesting to note the AFL have not made a decision on our Priority Pick. My inside mail tells me that they're waiting to see our decision first before the my decide. Maybe a bit of "you do the right thing, we'll do the right thing".

Yeah fair call, I thought candidates were turning away after we had actually spoken to them as if we had encouraged some and not others in a round about way, which is what I thought the poster earlier was hinting at.

I am not in love with our coaching selection process, I have found it to be a tad bizarro that's all. I think it has a distinct lame duck feel to it (i know I have used that term a lot) but I am just not convinced we don't have our man, and that barker and Monty are just desperate enough to see through the process incase something happens with Fages.

The main part of it that has set us back, is trying to be a 'good citizen' in terms of not approaching other clubs people while finals are on - just hope other clubs respect this in the future too, though my guess is, they won't.

I'd imagine this process they're running may be a little bit smokes and mirror to help find a senior assistant, out of Barker and new entered into the race Monty.

Also interesting to note the AFL have not made a decision on our Priority Pick. My inside mail tells me that they're waiting to see our decision first before the my decide. Maybe a bit of "you do the right thing, we'll do the right thing".

This is a slightly more rational way of explaining what I have identified as 'Bizarro'

I read this and thought, 'If you were really really keen you would surely postpone an OS trip'. I would if it was the job of a lifetime.

Can we just hurry up and appoint fagen, this lame duck race is just becoming borish for all involved, it further illustrates how dysfunctional we are in our processes, and YES - I know the AFL is playing the hand of God but even our, presentation and delivery of this process has been amateur hour, in keeping
with our usual standards I would suggest.
O/S for his brother's wedding. So you can understand. I wouldn't say getting the lions top gig is the job of a lifetime either for him.

Yeah fair call, I thought candidates were turning away after we had actually spoken to them as if we had encouraged some and not others in a round about way, which is what I thought the poster earlier was hinting at.

I am not in love with our coaching selection process, I have found it to be a tad bizarro that's all. I think it has a distinct lame duck feel to it (i know I have used that term a lot) but I am just not convinced we don't have our man, and that barker and Monty are just desperate enough to see through the process incase something happens with Fages.

The main part of it that has set us back, is trying to be a 'good citizen' in terms of not approaching other clubs people while finals are on - just hope other clubs respect this in the future too, though my guess is, they won't.

I suspect that may largely because of how invested, we at Bigfooty are in these decisions. To us it looks like Fagan has been earmarked for the role, and Barker and Montgomery are thrown up just to give a semblance of 'process'. That may not be the case though and even if it is it doesn't avtually mean that we are running the process badly.

To less involved supporters it has the semblance of choice and consideration. At this stage the club is selling hope, and the promise of improvement, and what they need to sell that will vary from buyer to buyer.

The more you think about this, the more you believe it to be true. The AFL are clearly pulling the strings and a coaching team of Fagan as head coach and one or both of Barker and Monty as snr assistants is what they're after.

Pick 3 or 11 = Fagan
Pick 19 - 90 = Not Fagan

I don't think Barker would be interested in a senior assistant role with us.

Nothing I've seen suggests that Fagan is meant to be a roos/sheedy transitional appointment, or that that is how he sees himself. He is wanting a head coach role and wants to give it a shot in his own right. With Barker I get the feeling that he won't want to wait another five years he wants to be a senior coach next year or 2018, so would probably pass on an assistant role.

Montgomery though appeared to be looking for other assistant positions, so maybe if the AFL could sweeten the deal he would be interested in being a senior assistant here for a few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing I've seen suggests that Fagan is meant to be a roos/sheedy transitional appointment, or that that is how he sees himself. He is wanting a head coach role and wants to give it a shot in his own right. With Barker I get the feeling that he won't want to wait another five years he wants to be a senior coach next year or 2018, so would probably pass on an assistant role.

Montgomery though appeared to be looking for other assistant positions, so maybe if the AFL could sweeten the deal he would be interested in being a senior assistant here for a few years.

Has expressed interest in both positions in the media(AFL Site/Trade Radio)...........

Last edited:

On the other hand if you considered Noble/Fagan to be an A-Class team then working under them could/would be a bonus on your resume when you were going for other senior gigs that popped up - I mean how much more positively do we look at someone who has worked with Sydney and Hawthorn atm rather than someone who say did Lions then Richmond - so the job could be appealing to either the guy wanting a long term stable senior assistant slot or the guy who wants to use the senior assistant slot to help him gain the senior coaching role elsewhere.

If we get Fagen and or Monty or Barker - i'll be a happy man.

I haven't loved the process to this point, especially 70% of candidates choosing not to apply, regardless of how we got there, especially given interest was high initially. I have found some elements to be a bit wishy washy.

Having said that, i think we all know the outcome, so we will just sit and wait for the decision to be reached.

Yeah.

Perfectly said! I think this is exactly the situation.

The only thing TBD leads is the post count.

Can I be the leader of the posters that are generally just here to share my opinions and have spirited debates about the club we all love?

Or is it one of those 'your either with, or against us' type situations and we're forced into picking a side in this Clique vs Conspiracy war?

Inquired about the position when news came through on Leppa...Eve of finals to speak..

Montgomery, who is completing the AFL's Level Four accreditation course, threw his hat in the ring early for the Lions' position, vacated by sacked coach Justin Leppitsch.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-27/brisbane-lions-narrow-coach-list-to-three

Can I be the leader of the posters that are generally just here to share my opinions and have spirited debates about the club we all love?

Or is it one of those 'your either with, or against us' type situations and we're forced into picking a side in this Clique vs Conspiracy war?

Are you making a stand against posters who aren't here to share their opinions?

#inception

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Brisbane Lions 2017 Coach is Chris Fagan

Back