Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Brad Scott

Votes: 14 5.6%
  • Other

Votes: 85 34.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Loving this post purely because you spelled "rapt" correctly instead of using "wrapped". You sir, are my hero (for the next fifteen minutes).

Loving this post cause I am not a hero very often but Patfullfankezz, 'we don't need another hero' cause we got Fagan :)

Just connecting the dots here but isn't one of the draw backs on fagan that he isn't that great tactically? And if I'm right I read that Montgomery was apparently excellent in that regard. Maybe those two together could form a pretty nice combo.
I had heard completely different regarding Fagan's tactical work. It was reported the other day that he took a back seat in tactical meets (due to not being a senior/assistant coach) but would step in when relevant and his input was highly appreciated. Sorry i can't remember who stated it whether it was player or another coach.

Last edited:
For the first time in a long time I have faith in the direction we're taking. We've now got great people in key spots (Swann, Noble, Fagan, Schwab & Lambert x 2). Being greedy for a second but if we can nab a solid assistant we could be in good shape moving forward.

Conversely if this staff, and let's be honest (most) are hand-picked by the AFL, can't get Brisbane right then frankly we don't stand much of a chance in the long-term.

I had heard completely different regarding his tactical work. It was reported the other day that he took a back seat in tactical meets (due to not being a senior/assistant coach) but would step in when relevant and his input was highly appreciated. Sorry i can't remember who stated it whether it was player or another coach.

You might have misheard..

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-01-30/montgomery-elevated-to-senior-role

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-10/bulldogs-and-senior-assistant-coach-montgomery-split

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...y/news-story/67bff01e54fb233e99a6390b06f98f8c

Last edited:
Looks to me like everyone could be gone, quite a few assistant positions needs to be filled.

Bolton last year showed that there could be immediate improvement if done correctly, so l am hoping the same could happen with us. But this off-season has got me really excited, truly believe that these 2 will lead us out of the shit that we have been seeping in for the last few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am happy with this appointment. I feel confident that we have quality, experienced football people in key roles now with Swann, Schwab, Noble, Fagan and the Lamberts. Will have to wait and see how Noble and Fagan go but their credentials are definitely impressive and they appear to have the ability to lead us in the right direction.

I am now hopeful that we can get a quality senior assistant(Montgomery?) and appoint some other assistants who can improve the performance of our playing list.

Sorry mate, this is what i meant. It was Sammy Mitchell speaking. I should have mentioned i was talking about Fagan.
"He sits in on all our leadership meetings, he's on the computer and doesn't say too much, he sort of takes the minutes and makes sure we're on track,” Mitchell said.

"When he does say something, it's usually something that no one even questions it, that's what we do and it's usually a great idea. That ability to know what to do and when, he certainly would hold them in good stead.”

Well how about you take your negativity and leave till you are positive. It really does my head in that the club is doing all they can to make good appointments and people are saying "meh" or "I'll wait to see him succeed before getting excited".

we need to really change our mentality and think bigger picture, and it's all been positive of late. Let's act that way.

We don't need you to tell us how we should or should not feel.....With all the s.h.i.t. we've been through, some of us are a bit battered and bruised emotionally.

You run with your positivity and we'll catch up when we're ready.

Listening to 3aw sports show tonight re the Fagan appointment. Gerald Healy spoke about it being similar to when Sheedy was appointed to GWS that he is there to build the foundation, not take us to a premiership but to get things back on track. From what has been spoken, there are mixed feelings from some commentators about his coaching style, given he has not coached for a period of time, however what everyone agrees on is he ability to command respect and he is enormously experienced and has the "hawthorn/Clarkson" factor.

Will be really interesting to see who comes in as assistant coaches and if we end up over the next few years going with a succession plan.

Really happy with the appointment and given the AFL involvement in all this and their push for Fagan he is obviously highly regarded in getting things back on track. A United football club that has a strong and positive culture and a coach that commands respect, is an outcome that I would be really happy with. Hopefully we get that right and success can and will hopefully follow. Welcome aboard

I had heard completely different regarding Fagan's tactical work. It was reported the other day that he took a back seat in tactical meets (due to not being a senior/assistant coach) but would step in when relevant and his input was highly appreciated. Sorry i can't remember who stated it whether it was player or another coach.

Sorry to intrude, however you are correct, it was Sam Mitchell who made that statement from memory, great appointment.

I keep hearing the Sheedy comparison. I don't see that link at all, sheedy was an ambassador primarily. This guy is a behind the scenes guy, man manager and educator.

Full credit to Sheedy and GWS but Sheedy didnt come in and re-build their footy system and way of coaching from the ground up, he reved the kids up before games, did interviews and took silly photos with his scarf on.

This isnt a sheedy appointment, that would be more like us getting walls or pagen, this is a modern footballing appointment tailored to our current needs.

Last edited:
Fagan has all the credentials to unite the club and get the players playing with passion. No doubt he was appointed for his ability to be a teacher to the young group and much like Beveridge and Bolton have done, he will sell a message to the playing group. The teaching aspect of coaches is the new trend.

You would think having been at the Hawks for the last 8 years he has a strong understanding of how to put in place a game plan and structure and how the zone defence should look. That said i think because he hasn't coached for such a long time he will need some very good assistants.

Think Montgomery could be very good as senior assistant. He gets to have a huge say on tactics which would be his strength and Fagan deals with getting the message across in a precise manner and deals with player relationships.

I keep hearing the Sheedy comparison. I don't see that link at all, sheedy was an ambassador primarily. This guy is a behind the scenes guy, man manager and educator.

Full credit to Sheedy and GWS but Sheedy didnt come in and re-build their footy system and way of coaching from the ground up, he reved the kids up before games, did interviews and took silly photos with his scarf on.

This isnt a sheedy appointment, that would be more like us getting walls or pagen, this is a modern footballing appointment tailored to our current needs.

I don't disagree that this isn't a Sheedy appointment - Fagan is unlikely to be the face of the club, for example, but I beg to differ on some of the rest.

Sheeds came in and built the GWS footy system from the ground up. He was a great if somewhat silly and over the top ambassador, but he also knew what a successful football club ran like and implanted that information root and branch in GWS. He effectively brought in the strength and conditioning department himself (previous links), he forced the non-negotiable culture GWS runs with, he had the kids respect because of his coaching career. By comparison, these are all things Guy McKenna largely failed at.

I think Fagan is a very different person to Sheeds and undoubtedly will go about things in a different manner, but I definitely think you're underselling Sheeds' efforts at GWS having seen them first hand. If Fagan brings in the same successful mindset like we all hope or expect he can it'll be a great positive, though to some extent he won't have the inherent player respect a premiership winning coach will have.

I don't disagree that this isn't a Sheedy appointment - Fagan is unlikely to be the face of the club, for example, but I beg to differ on some of the rest.

Sheeds came in and built the GWS footy system from the ground up. He was a great if somewhat silly and over the top ambassador, but he also knew what a successful football club ran like and implanted that information root and branch in GWS. He effectively brought in the strength and conditioning department himself (previous links), he forced the non-negotiable culture GWS runs with, he had the kids respect because of his coaching career. By comparison, these are all things Guy McKenna largely failed at.

I think Fagan is a very different person to Sheeds and undoubtedly will go about things in a different manner, but I definitely think you're underselling Sheeds' efforts at GWS having seen them first hand. If Fagan brings in the same successful mindset like we all hope or expect he can it'll be a great positive, though to some extent he won't have the inherent player respect a premiership winning coach will have.

Yeah I didnt mean to under value sheeds, but having been out of the system for 8 years I doubt he set up department structures?

He did implement the mindset, again probley not comparible to Fagens strengths. He isnt, from what i can gage, an old school motivator like sheeds.

Again, sheeds was great for GWS, I should have specified that, but just no comparison to Fagen IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Brisbane Lions 2017 Coach is Chris Fagan

Back