Brisbane lions to be this years surprise packet??

Remove this Banner Ad

PuntingFanatic

Senior List
Mar 1, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Hanley
Zorko
Rockliff
Rich
Beams
Christensen
Bewick
Merrett
Redden
Papparone
Green
Adcock
McGuane
Leuenberger

Not bad IMO. Decent stock.

Before any smart ass wannabe opens their mouth yes I opened a similar thread regarding the kangaroos. I think the lions will be one of the surprise teams of 2015 and will replace one of the top 8 teams from last year. A lot of these lads are very young , I can see a force emerging over these next 5 years. Expecting the GABBA to once again be a fortress in the not too distant future.

Everyone my ass. Very few have them in the 8.

Where do you have them finishing this year? Hmmm now you have to think don't you. Well put your money where your mouth is.

I barely have to think about it: Around 11-8. Their talls are their weakness, so they could get punished if teams can control their mids. I remember distinctly last season many posters were saying they would be one of the lower ranked teams to jump up the ladder.

It would be no surprise if they made finals this year.

I think most Lions supporters are still fairly realistic about what the team can do this year. The prevailing opinion of knowledgable Lions supporters that I have observed is that we won't be storming into the finals but we are an outside chance of sneaking in if everything goes right. That would mean most of our best 22 remaining injury free and some of our younger players really developing this year.

More likely it will be another development year but a more competitive one in which we are in games for longer and apply more pressure to teams around or just above us. That would represent fair improvement and set us up to be a stronger finals threat next year. About ninth to thirteenth would be the region I would be reasonably satisfied with as I expect that there might be a clump of teams close together around that area of the table. I doubt we will be a surprise packet (but would love to be proved wrong) because we clearly do still have some weaknesses. However, our weaknesses are also fairly well documented so opposition teams that don't exploit them on the day will deserve everything they get and might well suffer the consequences, because there is also plenty of talent here.

I barely have to think about it: Around 11-8. Their talls are their weakness, so they could get punished if teams can control their mids. I remember distinctly last season many posters were saying they would be one of the lower ranked teams to jump up the ladder.

It would be no surprise if they made finals this year.
You're saying everyone was talking them up and it won't be a surprise. None of this each way crap finishing 8 or 11th and trying to give yourself middle room. Will they make the finals or not? And yes if they make the 8 it will be a surprise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And btw if they finish 11th, is that what you mean by everyone talking them up and not being a surprise? Finishing 11 a huge step up from last year is it? But they can make the 8 also? Nice way having two pieces of the pie.

another expert who after the fact would say I told you so.

I think our very best football would result in us just sneaking into the 8 (but would love to be wrong and see us shoot even further up the ladder). Realistically I think an improvement on last years results would be great.

Don't think our defensive side is AS weak as some people make out. But our tall forwards are so early into the development stage it's likely that'll be our main downfall. Although in saying that we have,
  • Leuy/Martin who can rotate through the forward line.
  • Staker/McGuane who can slot into the side form pending.
  • Several reliable goal kicking mids.
  • Some really exciting small forward talent.
So we do have options available to us in that regard.

I think if they kept voss they'd have made the 8 last yr
Yes, he screwed up early, but they were playing great footy in 2013
Massively underrated
I think you're forgetting Polec, Yeo, Longer, Docherty, Karnezis etc leaving and the effect that had on their list profile last year regardless of whether those guys played in 2013. Last year was always going to be a step back. Changing coach to Leppa made it a bigger step back for hopefully a bigger step forward.

FB: Adcock Merrett Gardiner
HB: Lester Clarke Rich
C: Aish Beams Bewick
HF: Christensen Close Taylor
FF: Green McStay Zorko
Foll: Leuny Redden Rockliff
Int: Martin Robinson C. Beams Paparone

Judging from the nab 3 game with maybe a few to come in there's certainly some depth and class in the midfield and flanks. If Merrett is back to his best then he can limit most good forwards, Gardiner and/or Clarke have to stop the number 2 and 3 talls. Fitting in the 2 rucks will be interesting, neither have been strong forwards but not horrible dinosaurs either. Really though most teams have a few games each season that are often decided not only on the midfield battle but on a big forward standing up. McStay and Close and if not them then the older back up guys (Staker? McGuane) will have to exceed expectations at some stage.

You're saying everyone was talking them up and it won't be a surprise. None of this each way crap finishing 8 or 11th and trying to give yourself middle room. Will they make the finals or not? And yes if they make the 8 it will be a surprise.

I said everyone was talking them up and it wouldn't be a surprise because everyone was talking them up and with their list it wouldn't be a surprise for the team to do well. That doesn't mean they WILL do well or everyone expects them to do well. You can understand a teams capability without being convinced of their ability to live up to it.
I wouldn't be surprised if they made finals but I wouldn't bet on it either. I would be surprised if MY team, or StKilda, or the Dogs made finals, I would not be surprised if Brisbane made finals or if Gold Coast made finals for that matter

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane lions to be this years surprise packet??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back