Preview Brisbane Lions v Geelong Round 6 (Saturday 20 April 7:30PM @ Gabba)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The footy public is weird, remember when Sicily knocked out McCluggage with a dump tackle and bunch of people said in the media he should have got off?

I've seen that one raised in the comments on all the stories about charlie getting off - and obviously charlie wouldn't have been let off in Lever had actually been concussed? Pretty obvious difference!

I've seen that one raised in the comments on all the stories about charlie getting off - and obviously charlie wouldn't have been let off in Lever had actually been concussed? Pretty obvious difference!

:think::think::think:

AFL 360 host Gerard Whateley said he’s “never seen a crackdown like this”, describing it as “hardcore”.

Great preview!

Having said that, given Gardiner has a height advantage on Stewart, I wonder if his role as a defensive forward might be wasted on Stewart. This could possibly be a role for Ah Chee instead.

I would suggest that after Stanley takes the centre bounce, Blicavs will take the ruck contests around the ground, and Stanley will shift to defence as a spare man. He will look to play on someone (Gardiner presumably if your prediction comes to pass) in an attempt to free up Stewart.

Because of Blicavs' versatility this is very difficult to overcome. This is why I would start Ah Chee on Stewart, and if Stanley wants to come and man up Ah Chee, well this becomes a mismatch we can exploit.. Obviously we can't kick the ball on Ah Chee's head. However, we will have to get Ah Chee on the move and use him at every opportunity to keep Stanley accountable. If it means Geelong have to revert back to having Stewart play on Ah Chee, well that is a big win for us.

In the meantime, if Stanley does come down and man up on Ah Chee in an attempt to free up Stewart, THAT'S when I'm sending Gardiner to Stewart. It's a win-win: we get the mobility and ball use of Ah Chee on a slower opponent, ideally dragging him out of position, while we get Gardiner making life miserable for Stewart.

I would point out that Gardiner and Lever very rarely (if at all) matched up last Thursday night, which surprised me, but as it turned out our whole-ground performance was sufficient to neuter Lever's aerial influence.

This does however still leave Geelong with a spare man in defence, just not Tom Stewart. This means we will still need to be discerning with our ball movement. I would expect us to try and reprise some more of what we saw against Melbourne: patience, short chip passes either laterally or forward to break up Geelong's zone. This has the potential to work against Geelong, who have so far played 2 games at Kardinia Park and 2 games at Adelaide Oval, both narrow grounds where it is harder to utilise width to go around a zone defence.

The one game they played on the MCG was against Hawthorn, who challenged them noticeably at stages during that game, and perhaps expected score was a more accurate reflection of that game:

From what I understand tho (and I haven't been to any Geelong games so it's hard to verify) Geelong this season are playing with what soccer people will call a "high press". Their backs are really pushing up very high to try and lock the ball in their front half. The idea behind this is that they are more likely to be able to force turnovers via more numbers around the ball, and those turnovers will be closer to their goal.

But the flipside (and we have seen this already multiple times this season) is it does leave them exposed to a fast counter attack. If we can get through their high press we could quite feasibly have a one on one forward of centre, or potentially even an outnumber. So while I think we will adopt a patient approach for the most part, as we did against Melbourne, like any good bowler, the change of pace is an important part of the arsenal and one we will do well to exploit when the opportunity arises.

Either way I'm hoping we can see a more cohesive approach to our ball movement this Saturday compared to what we saw last Thursday, which, while promising, I still felt was a little haphazard at times.

Obviously our back line will have their hands full, so I think we will need a performance from our midfield similar to what we saw against Melbourne. The Jeremy Cameron matchup is a huge one, and I don't know if we have a good match up for him. Who played on him last year?

Agree the Cameron match up is a big one. We have had Dizzy do it in the past in a final at the G, and from memory Dizzy did pretty well.

I know there is a height difference but I would give Starc the role, I believe he has the tank and speed to go with Cameron. I do not think you can put Lester on him as Cameron too quick. Payne has the speed, but not the tank to follow Cameron around. Perhaps Andrews, but not to follow Cameron too far upfield so that he is ineffective in helping out and intercepting down back. Isn't that the point in Payne probably taking Hawkins so Harris can peel off his opponent, probably Geelong's third tall and assist.

Agree the Cameron match up is a big one. We have had Dizzy do it in the past in a final at the G, and from memory Dizzy did pretty well.

I know there is a height difference but I would give Starc the role, I believe he has the tank and speed to go with Cameron. I do not think you can put Lester on him as Cameron too quick. Payne has the speed, but not the tank to follow Cameron around. Perhaps Andrews, but not to follow Cameron too far upfield so that he is ineffective in helping out and intercepting down back. Isn't that the point in Payne probably taking Hawkins so Harris can peel off his opponent, probably Geelong's third tall and assist.
I like this rationale. But then who plays on Stengle?

AFL 360
Whateley really hates the lions.
States it was a Garden variety sling tackle. Deserves a week and then shows incidents he’s been fined for in the past. Remonstrating the use of witnesses.

I live in Vic but I’m so sick of the vfl favouritism the media spins. It’s infuriating.

Rant finished. Now go smash his cats please ’s

Personally I don’t disagree about the fact it should have been a week. It still was a dangerous enough action even with Lever doing a head flop that I think it should be a suspension in the interest of protecting players.

We’ve already seen a massive improvement from early last year in terms of players taking more precaution. Dangerous tackles still happen but there’s a lot more precaution from the players most times now which is great to see.

He's not necessarily wrong, but I was waiting for Chris Scott to weigh in on his opponent this week.

My point being that footy public choose the narrative arbitrarily rather than based on common sense.

Sicily deserved to be suspended and yes ofc if Charlie actually hurt the bloke he should as well.

He's not necessarily wrong, but I was waiting for Chris Scott to weigh in on his opponent this week.

All hail Luke Hodge and all, but just such a wrong decision. I'd rather Charlie had the week off than the crowd reaction he will surely cop.

So unfair to one of the most respectful on field players. That respect now getting called out as a set up - just so wrong.

Are the Afl tribunal trying to incite player haters aka goodes?

All hail Luke Hodge and all, but just such a wrong decision. I'd rather Charlie had the week off than the crowd reaction he will surely cop.

So unfair to one of the most respectful on field players. That respect now getting called out as a set up - just so wrong.

Are the Afl tribunal trying to incite player haters aka goodes?

I agree with your post. I too wish Charlie had the week off after all the hoohaa from Gerry Whately and Co.

Charlie seemed last week to have finally come out of his shell and played brilliantly and we all hailed his return to "Country Road" level. Welcome back Charlie...until

..he was such a good bloke they let him off his charge. He can now play.

Enter Gerry and co. Gerry who is a massive Geelong supporter, took offence at the termerity of the tribunal and started his relentless campaign on AFL360 and his radio show on SEN stirring up the natives about how wrong this was.

I fear now that Charlie will be all quiet again and back in his shell or whatever ailed him. Said natives are bound to boo him, which he does not deserve.

What a great big stuff up all around imo. I wish the club had not challenged the suspension.

I beg all Lions at the game to please cheer loudly for our Charlie every time he gets involved in the action. He possibly wont go near a tackle either right now.

Up yours Gerry you sanctimoneous git!

Do it for Charlie boys, show him your support by destroying Jerry's Cats

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lyons in for Bailey. Weird call. Maybe the sub?
Hopefully, pace out, slow in would not be a good move, Cats are playing a fast paced style of footy this season.

James Tunstill in and Lyons to the bench is the no brainer decision, would have preferred Bruce Reville as the sub though.

Cats looking stronger >

Ins- Jake Kolodjashnij, Patrick Dangerfield, Tom Hawkins, Toby Conway.

Outs- Connor O'Sullivan (Omitted), Zach Tuohy (Managed), Shannon Neale (Omitted), Rhys Stanley (Managed).

Zac Tuohy "managed" mustn't think they need him against us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back