brisbane looking at cousins and davis

Remove this Banner Ad

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
THE BRISBANE Lions are poised to offer axed Sydney Swans forward Nick Davis a football lifeline.

New Lions coach Michael Voss today revealed he was keen to speak to the delisted Davis to have a bona fide goalscoring alternative to the twin towers of Jonathan Brown and Daniel Bradshaw.

The mercurial 28-year-old played only three senior games for the Swans due to indifferent early form and a season-ending knee injury.

Negotiations are at an early stage but Voss indicated the Lions were interested in picking Davis up through next month's pre-season draft.

"We've had a preliminary chat with Nick about perhaps the chance to come up here and train," Voss said today.

"That is a distinct possibility.

"What we do have as a football team, we do have a need for that type of player so we're looking at all and every possibility of how we do that."

Davis was a proven match-winner for the Swans and key figure in their drive to the 2005 premiership, including a match-winning hand in a preliminary final comeback against Geelong.

Although his work-ethic was questioned at the Swans and coach Paul Roos lost patience, Voss would welcome Davis' accuracy and creativity in front of goals in support of Brown and Bradshaw.

Voss also reiterated club chief executive Michael Bowers' sentiments that the Lions' door wasn't shut to former Eagles star Ben Cousins, but would give little else away about the club's plans in regard to the Brownlow Medallist.

"I think everyone knows what Ben Cousins' qualities are," he said. "From a football club side of things, there are obviously some other things we've got to consider at the same time.

"There are a number of things that have got to happen before we even get in front of Ben Cousins. First and foremost, Ben himself has got a number of things that he's got to overcome, so to me is the priority".

Voss did indicate that he expected to be in contact with Cousins should the 30-year-old be cleared to pursue a comeback when the AFL Commission meets next Tuesday.
http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=69727

would be interesting if they are able to get both these players on their list. i think they would be pretty strong going into the finals with these 2 extra players on their side.

Davis was a proven match-winner for the Swans and key figure in their drive to the 2005 premiership, including a match-winning hand in a * preliminary final * comeback against Geelong.

Ok I'm nitpicking, but I wanted to get in first. :p

could get davis but ben is a saint
302.jpg
001_302.jpg
302.jpg
001_302.jpg
302.jpg

Worth a look at Davis. He'll be cheap.

The swans are an unusually intensive club, which Davis didnt suit.

The more relaxed lifestyle of Brisbane may suit him.

As long as Voss manages his expectations. Dont expect Davis to ever live up to his 2005 year, but you'll get a couple of years from an experienced goal sneak.

Brisbane are in desperate need to a Davis like player, so why not.

IMO he'll be a fringe player, but still good enough to get a dozen or so games, and add depth to the squad.

Don't want Davis, Cousins - maybe.

Davis hasn't played a decent game since that 2005 Semi, Cuz on the other hand is a Brownlow Medalist - I think I know which one I would prefer.......... although even then I would be happy with neither.

If the bloody lions swoop in and deny the Saints the Cuz, I will be soooo dirty.

Saints have put so much time and effort into him, would be an absolute waste. And god knows we need a midfielder with a bit of grunt to help Lenny out and hopefully inspire Dal to put some bloody effort in.

(By the way, the "ironing" joke is from the Simpsons for the uneducated... to do with the irony of Bart not knowing the word irony... but thats a whole other discussion :thumbsu:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Starts pre-season training with the Lions on Monday does Davis.

Davis eyes career revival with Lions

By Ben Broad 1:02 PM Thu 13 November, 2008
davislions_a.jpg
Ex-Swan Nick Davis is trying to grab a chance to resurrect his career at the Lions
FORMER Sydney Swan Nick Davis will be given another chance to restore his AFL career when he starts training with the Brisbane Lions next week.

Davis’ manager Lance Thompson confirmed on Thursday the one-time mercurial Swan would head to Brisbane in the coming days where he would begin training with the Lions, who have commenced their first off-season under new coach Michael Voss.

It was revealed on Wednesday that Voss was keen to speak with Davis, who he believes might be able to complement twin towers Jonathan Brown and Daniel Bradshaw and provide an alternative goalkicking option.

“He’s going to go up there on Monday and start training with them,” Thompson told SEN on Thursday.

“He’s very excited about that … it’s a new opportunity.

“You see so many people that get a chance with a new club and they just take it with open arms and Nick’s got to realise that.”

The Swans delisted Davis – the man who single-handedly propelled them past Geelong in the 2005 first semi-final and ultimately to the premiership – after the 2008 season in which he played just three matches, struggling with fitness and form.

But Thompson says the gifted forward knows he must turn over a new leaf if he wants to build on his 168-match career.

“He’s been training very, very hard with myself over the last couple of weeks,” Thompson said.

“I suppose Nick probably knows that I’m sick of putting up with a fair bit of rubbish from him, so he knows he’s got to work hard otherwise his future’s going to be pretty bleak.

“Hard work’s what it’s going to take and Nick’s prepared to put in the hard work.”

A superbly-skilled footballer, Davis is considered among the more talented forwards in the game on his day.

But many, including some at the Swans, questioned his commitment to playing at the highest level at different stages.

“Nick’s expectation is he just didn’t have to work that hard to get there and I know that obviously the older you get the harder you have to work to better yourself … Nick’s just starting to realise that now,” Thompson said.

Davis has not nominated for this month’s NAB AFL Draft but could be selected by any AFL club in the pre-season draft.

Source: http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=69741

"What we do have as a football team, we do have a need for that type of player so we're looking at all and every possibility of how we do that."

"There are a number of things that have got to happen before we even get in front of Ben Cousins. First and foremost, Ben himself has got a number of things that he's got to overcome, so to me is the priority".

And in other future amazing headlines:

"Voss manages to string an intelligible sentence together

At least he'd be better than Nigel Lappin.........

Has Voss got any clue at all?

You do know Lappin was in the AA squad of 40 in 2007? All Voss said was doing was asking him to reconsider if his body was up to it after having some time living with the knowledge of what it is like to be retired.

You do know Lappin was in the AA squad of 40 in 2007? All Voss said was doing was asking him to reconsider if his body was up to it after having some time living with the knowledge of what it is like to be retired.

Voss is covering his lack of "a clue" by simply sprouting any name which may grab some media attention.

I can't wait for the season to start and see how Voss is going to handle a year like Ratten's.

Voss is covering his lack of "a clue" by simply sprouting any name which may grab some media attention.

Alot like Pies supporters covering their lack of "a clue" by continuously sprouting shit on the main board!

Alot like Pies supporters covering their lack of "a clue" by continuously sprouting shit on the main board!

C'mon Cousin Jed... its just a coincidence that the people who immediately turned it into a Voss bashing are Collingwood supporters.

Just like every other similar thread.

Just a coincidence. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

brisbane looking at cousins and davis

Remove this Banner Ad

Back