Brisbane: Not in too bad shape.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 28, 2011
Beyond Reproach
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
UAE Team Emirates
Obviously it fell apart for a while in 2010, but over the last year I think the Lions have cause for optimism.

Firstly, they had a lowly finish in 15th. Not good. However, they showed against the top four they were prepared to dig deep. It's a good sign when a club shows some spirit when up against it. Against Geelong, Collingwood and West Coast they had a shot in the last quarter. They also went alright against the Saints.

They played a lot last season without Merritt, who is their best defender. They also didn't have Beams or Polec for most of the year. Polec we know about, but Beams has gone unnoticed by many and definitely has something to give. I'm thinking he is less classy than Dayne, but tougher and more workman like. Getting game time in to these two will make a huge difference in coming seasons. Added to that, if Rich can take another step and if Redden and Rockliff can consolidate after last season they have the makings of a competitive midfield.

I also felt Michael Voss performed well as senior coach. I think it is about time to do away with the 'Crazy Vozzy' stuff. I'll also add though we may need to consider that it is over for Brown. He missed a lot of footy last year, but he also spent most of 2010 on the sidelines. At this same stage Carey was on the slide.

They're fighting for 8-11 this year I reckon. How do people think they'll go?

Potentially on the cusp of the greatest season in history.

Seriously though they will be lucky to win 4 games. They are in a bad bad way this club.

Just a bit over-hyped this year due to a very good up and coming midfield group and being competitive last year, they should slot it somewhere between 12-15, their list still has quite a few gaps to fill

They should finish 6-8th this season.

They need to:

1. Keep up the intensity for four quarters
2. Improve delivery to forwardline
3. Develop

Do that and I can definitely see them making finals.

Potentially on the cusp of the greatest season in history.

Seriously though they will be lucky to win 4 games. They are in a bad bad way this club.

Just riding high on that pre-season win hey? Well done champ you really
deserve a special gold sticker. You should feel proud.

Anyway, back in the real world, I think the OP makes a good point about
Beams, the kid shows some mongrel and knows how to find the goals.

I think we are still a year away from even thinking about top 8 however as we get more games into our young brigade - we have the second youngest list in the comp after all, younger than the gold coast.

Also I think that Browns body is perhaps a bit fresher than Carey's would have been given Browny's lack of footy over the last two years. Hopefully that can hold him in good stead for a few more years

Overall i'd be expect maybe 8 wins this year with a good injury run and Brown back in the side

I was going to say a poor troll thread, but people seem to have bought it.

Brisbane are in for a shocking year.

Bottom 4 with Melbourne and the expansion teams.

Will be top 6 imo, pending injuries and less than expected development

They should finish 6-8th this season.

They need to:

1. Keep up the intensity for four quarters
2. Improve delivery to forwardline
3. Develop

Do that and I can definitely see them making finals.

can you dudes gimme some of what you're smoking? :confused:

They kicked something like 1.3 to halftime yesterday. Their much vaunted midfield was absolutely and utterly destroyed and they couldn't get their hands on the footy.

Yes, it's only a pre-season game, no worries there. But top 6??

Go read the Brisbane board if you want a more realistic appraisal of where they're at.

If they escape bottom 4 they've done well IMHO

I think they might have another tough year, but there is plenty of talent there. Karnezis really showed he could be a real handful for opposition defences last year and that was without Brown. Leunberger should continue to improve and if he's backed up well by Hudson and Longer then they should be winning the ruck most weeks. Midfield is promising, but obviously not quite there yet - Redden, Rich, Rockliff, Polec, Black, Raines is a pretty handy combination to work with.

I think back to last year and wonder what could have been for them, they were fighting bloody hard to maintain a lead of three goals a couple of men down against Fremantle last year in Round 1 with Staker and Beams both going for the year then Brown copping a knee to the face and Clark getting knocked out. Not only that the umpires proceeded to rape them and Fremantle got up by a goal. A loss like that can really scar a young team and they proceeded to have another poor year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also saw them live yesterday, anyone dating they look good obviously have no idea. They got smashed all over the ground yesterday by a team going half pace. Will not even get close to the 8.

They appear to have recruited very well over the last few seasons but that does not mean that they are ready for finals. Still very much in the development phase and would seem to be around the mark for a priority pick under the old system.

They deserve a priority pick too I rekon, same with Port. They have been terribly disadvantaged by being poor when the compromised drafts came in.

Will probably have another consolidating year where they finish 12-15 depending on injuries. Next year could make the 8. Just too many gaps in their list and too much will be left to too few. Also not enough players in prime ages of 24-28 compared to other clubs.

According to various posts on these boards, we need to fit about 14 teams into 8 positions at the top of the ladder...

I thought they were competitive last year without the wins to show for it. I think they will rise up the ladder this year but only into that 9th - 15th territory. Can't see a top 8 finish in the near future.

I thought they were competitive last year without the wins to show for it. I think they will rise up the ladder this year but only into that 9th - 15th territory. Can't see a top 8 finish in the near future.

Yeah, my thoughts. Bold in particular.

Top 6 or 8? Next to no chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane: Not in too bad shape.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back