Brisbane: Not in too bad shape.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeo is a big loss,he is a gem...Longer is a very promising ruckman who didn't get many Senior games this year...West will replace him in the short to medium term and another quality young prospect will arrive on the scene.

Docherty is a promising player and will improve but will be replaced (maybe as soon as this year's draft with our 5 picks under 35 after no.7 in round one),meanwhile Golby,Harwood,McGrath,Lester,Adcock,Crisp and maybe the improving Wearden ( from the Longer,Docherty and Yeo draft) and certainly Hanley (if required) are there as small/medium defenders.

We may even have a replacement for Karnezis on the list already,more so as tall forward Jackson Paine was swapped for him and they come from the same draft... Karnezis has been a disappointment...as far as the talented but enigmatic,injury prone so far Polec is concerned,we will just manage without him as we have quite a lot already...many,including me,believe that he will turn out to be a better player at Port than if he stayed in Brisbane.

Of course this ripping out of these players from our developing list is a setback we need to address...but some of the dire consequences for the future type reactions remind me of the forecasts of doom at the time and since the Lions recruiting of 2009...yes Fevola's recruitment turned sour ... yet it has turned out that,in order,Staker,Raines Harwood,Maguire,Golby and Beams were all recruited and Hanley elevated from rookie in that year and all are top 25 players currently...a far cry from the disaster many labelled it....have a look at YOUR club's recruitment in 2009 and see how many are solid players now...I've named 7 above.

This mini exodus has happened...the big thing for the club is to work to avoid a recurrence...obviously they will be looking very hard at it after a jolt like this.

I don't mind Brisbane, despite losing 5 young players I reckon only Yeo and possibly Longer will hurt in the short term. The rest hadn't come on at all.
Polec is perennially injured (good luck to the kid but he's gotta get out on the park to prove his worth).
Docherty is a poor mans Sam Mayes who they retained (gun) and got adequately compensated for because he's done nothing to suggest he's more than a good kick in space.
Karnezis is dud.

And they've kept all their astute later picks like Golby, Harwood and Beams who earnt their way into the side with work ethic (just what you want in an up and coming team)

They'll be fine as long as they use the compensation (like 4 picks I the 20's?) to pick up a couple more hard nosed two way runners.

I don't mind Brisbane, despite losing 5 young players I reckon only Yeo and possibly Longer will hurt in the short term. The rest hadn't come on at all.
Polec is perennially injured (good luck to the kid but he's gotta get out on the park to prove his worth).
Docherty is a poor mans Sam Mayes who they retained (gun) and got adequately compensated for because he's done nothing to suggest he's more than a good kick in space.
Karnezis is dud.

And they've kept all their astute later picks like Golby, Harwood and Beams who earnt their way into the side with work ethic (just what you want in an up and coming team)

They'll be fine as long as they use the compensation (like 4 picks I the 20's?) to pick up a couple more hard nosed two way runners.

Have to disagree with that. Docherty showed quite a bit in his 13 games this year. Worked hard and surprised a bit with his ability to win the contested ball. Was subbed a few times. We got reamed in the Docherty trade.

Karnezis has plenty of potential. If he can fix his defensive game and running patterns, he will be a gun.

Have to disagree with that. Docherty showed quite a bit in his 13 games this year. Worked hard and surprised a bit with his ability to win the contested ball. Was subbed a few times. We got reamed in the Docherty trade.

Karnezis has plenty of potential. If he can fix his defensive game and running patterns, he will be a gun.

Fair enough, I only saw a handful of games, maybe he was a bit out of his depth each time.
I don't see it with Karnezis, he's got the tools but what else?

We didn't create a bad culture, we just had a bunch of home sick mummy boys in our team
Home sick mummy boys leave poorly run clubs. That's why Mathews is back. Hopefully things change now but players didn't leave because they are mummy's boys they left because of Brisbane (as they did pre Mathews in the 90s.)

Karnezis is dud.

Good post, the hysteria over this "mass exodus" is completely unwarranted. Still plenty of talent on their list and should be one of several teams in the "peloton" next year.

I love how the media etc love to say it will take a decade for a club to rebuild, they said it about Richmond when we were considered the worst team since the Fitzroy Lions and some thought we might not survive, 4 years later we finish with 15 wins 60,000+ members etc etc, look at Port 1 year to turn it around:eek:
Richmond were out of the finals for eleven seasons before this year - isn't that a decade of rebuilding?:rolleyes:

Richmond were out of the finals for eleven seasons before this year - isn't that a decade of rebuilding?:rolleyes:

Gotta love it when people willfully misinterpret a post just for the sake of oneupmanship.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane: Not in too bad shape.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back