Brisbane targeting a huge name key forward at end of 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Well we don't always have a choice on losing ruckmen do we. Brisbane will come out swinging , they will have money add to that Leuinberger is a FA and I can see an arrangement happening.

Won't happen. Kurt can always go after our window anyway. We need him now, especially as our rucks are very light. Half the reason our mids haven't looked that bad had been Tippett in the ruck this season. Brisbane have nothing that we would want anyway. How does Leuneberger help us next year? An injury prone ruck...oh yay, we get another one to fill the medical bill.

It was a bit suss, because it was bit of a sweetheart deal where the Dees got Jack Viney at pick 26 (who clearly is a top 4-5 player from that draft) under F/S, so the Suns wouldn't bid their first rounder on him, to ensure The Dees didn't draft the player they wanted.

Good luck to the Dees, but that's almost draft tampering/manipulation, and I think it did compromise the integrity of the draft.
Wasn't it only GWS who had mini draft picks?

Our players are not playing the game plan Leppa wants them too. Ether he isn't communication it across effectively or our players just don't care what he says. Either way Leppa needs to get them playing the way he wants them too or else he won't be at the club at the end of the season.

It's hard for him to communication.
It's hard for anyone to communication.

It was a bit suss, because it was bit of a sweetheart deal where the Dees got Jack Viney at pick 26 (who clearly is a top 4-5 player from that draft) under F/S, so the Suns wouldn't bid their first rounder on him, to ensure The Dees didn't draft the player they wanted.

Good luck to the Dees, but that's almost draft tampering/manipulation, and I think it did compromise the integrity of the draft.
Good on the Dees for getting it done! Especially under their regime at the time the alleged Hogan-Coup was pulled off.

If you're going to wag Grade 4 - I suggest you do something other than troll on a computer. Perhaps go and play near a bus :thumbsu:

His comment was truthful though.

The only reason a big name player would consider moving to the Lions is for money.

The list has years of rebuilding to go and too many quality draftees seem to leave after two > three years.

They are the facts, especially when you look back at when the Lions were so successful, they needed a bigger cap to pay players to move there. Now without it they are struggling.

They are the facts, especially when you look back at when the Lions were so successful, they needed a bigger cap to pay players to move there. Now without it they are struggling.

Mixing up cause and effect there. Much like Sydney now, when Brisbane was successful they would not have needed the bigger cap - players take less to go to successful clubs, and players take less to stay at successful clubs, e.g. Geelong a few years back. Unfortunately retention money is more needed when clubs are not successful, but that was when it got stripped away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mixing up cause and effect there. Much like Sydney now, when Brisbane was successful they would not have needed the bigger cap - players take less to go to successful clubs, and players take less to stay at successful clubs, e.g. Geelong a few years back. Unfortunately retention money is more needed when clubs are not successful, but that was when it got stripped away.

This is the issue the AFL is having, the NSW\QLD clubs struggle with out any advantages unless they get everything perfect but if you give them advantages and they get everything right they dominate.

You could probably argue a lot of clubs could use assistant when they are at the bottom of the ladder, and when Brisbane has still won 3 premierships in the last 30 years it is hard for other clubs to accept it, in my opinion rightly so.

No answers, just saying it is a really tough balancing act

This is the issue the AFL is having, the NSW\QLD clubs struggle with out any advantages unless they get everything perfect but if you give them advantages and they get everything right they dominate.

You could probably argue a lot of clubs could use assistant when they are at the bottom of the ladder, and when Brisbane has still won 3 premierships in the last 30 years it is hard for other clubs to accept it, in my opinion rightly so.

No answers, just saying it is a really tough balancing act

A similar solution (increased salary cap) has been proposed in the media and on BF for clubs having extended downturns, e.g. Melbourne, not just non-traditional state clubs, and IMO it has more merit than the usual cries for more draft picks. If you want non-terrible teams, you have to encourage the clubs to field fewer under 20s-style teams.

We've seen some movement in this direction already, with the ability to bank up to 5% of your salary cap to use in later years but it wouldn't surprise me if we start seeing the top clubs manage this somehow as well.

That's the one.
Sheedy tried pulling a swifty to keep him using picks, but the AFL kyboshed it.

That was O'Meara I'm pretty sure, but yes good old Sheeds tried it lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane targeting a huge name key forward at end of 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Back