Brisbane the Breakout team of 2019?

Remove this Banner Ad

Always Ballin

Social Activist. Freedom Fighter. Feminist.
Jan 11, 2015
Main Forum Poster
AFL Club
West Coast
This is what lots seem to be projecting/predicting. They showed signs of good football during the season. Picked up good pieces in Free Agency.

I was tempted to call them the "sleeper team of 2019" but I don't think that fits given the buzz around them going into 2019.

What are realistic expectations for them? Can they sneak into the bottom of the 8? A 50-50 record?

10-14 on the ladder while showing significant improvement and competitiveness, thats the pass mark for 2019, anything less than 14 and its a fail. They need to break into the "8-12 wins" group of teams. Its all about belief at this point for this young promising group. Put up a graph and show them that improvement over a few years and they will keep growing.

This will provide a solid springboard into a legitimate attempt at finals in 2020 if things go their way.

Cant see finals next year, not with the loss of Beams. Very exciting prospect and Im very intrigued to follow their journey as a neutral.

P.S Stop beating Hawthorn... twice... in 1 season...

I think it's all about maturity and experience now for them. They've got the raw materials in place imo, but still need a couple of years to build not only hardened bodies but also to develop the acumen to really challenge up the top end.

Something like 8-10 wins for them next year would represent a good season. Even as an outsider, I love what they're doing, but it still needs time.

They missed the finals this year by 8 wins + percentage.

That is too big a gap to close in a single off-season, especially considering they lost Beams.

Should finish 10-14th for mine.
Richmond missed finals by 4 wins and 26 percent in 2016 and won the flag the following year, no reason Brisbane can't at least make finals next year.

Richmond missed finals by 4 wins and 26 percent in 2016 and won the flag the following year, no reason Brisbane can't at least make finals next year.

And yet even that remarkable rise was not quite an 8 win improvement on the ladder from the previous season.

I like the Lions, but I feel many of their close games this year (Collingwood at the Gabba comes to mind) were a result of the opposition not paying them proper respect.

With greater expectations on them in 2019, I don’t think teams will take them as lightly and consequently the wins may not come that easily for a young side that is still yet to fully mature.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last 4 years: 4 wins, 3 wins, 5 wins, 5 wins. They improved their percentage by 27 this year, which is a very good sign that they're finally projecting upwards. But they're not making the 8 in 2019.

There is still a real lack of star power across the field. Their 4 best mids are Zorko, Neal, Berry, and McCluggage. That's hardly going to frighten the better teams, although Lyons will help with his inside work.

A bit overhyped for mine.

Eight wins will be a good result.

Interestibg they won only two games at home and three away last year. There were a number of close games against good sides at the Gabba though.

I expect they'll be hard to beat at the Gabba next year, that's usually the first step of teams on the rise. I expect they'll have some great wins, and like all young teams some terrible away losses.

Finals are possible, but in the mix for the 8 for most of the season anyway.

Neale is excellent and Lyons very good, but let’s not forget they lost their best player.

Like what they’re doing, but from where they’ve been to finals in one year is too big a jump.

Still think they’re a reasonable chance of finishing in the bottom 4.
I dont get the hype around Lyons.
He got dropped from the worst team for a reason.
He has no defensive side to his game.

If we can dismantle the Weagles in round 1 next year, then maybe we'll be in with a shot :p

I think they are a smoky for the top 8 but will probably fall short and finish on 10-11 wins. I think they are on the right track but will lack a bit of maturity to sustain their best form for long enough to actually finish in the finals.

I'd compare them in quality to Melbourne 2016 - a team that were good enough to play finals but lost enough games they shouldn't have to end up on 10-12.

I think they are potential big improvers but they might not improve to the extent that some have anticipated. I think if they can get around 8 or so wins and see further improvement and development from within the team then that will be a good result. If they get close to or even make the finals next year then I think they will have done very well. Their development will be interesting to watch in 2019.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane the Breakout team of 2019?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back