Brisbane the Breakout team of 2019?

Remove this Banner Ad

They missed the finals this year by 8 wins + percentage.

That is too big a gap to close in a single off-season, especially considering they lost Beams.

That has sweet **** all to do with playing finals or not playing finals. Look at Richmond in 2016 compared to 2017. They missed the 8 by 4 games and 26 percent percentage. Won the flag the next year.

Might play finals. Might not. But based on your reasoning, it's total BS.

8th-12th
Everything would need to go right for them to finish 8th but if the youngsters take a jump from promising to performing then they can certainly sneak in.

This is on the mark - 8th to 10th would be considered a really good season ready to have a crack the following year. 11 - 12 around the OK Mark. 13 and below would be disappointing.

That has sweet **** all to do with playing finals or not playing finals. Look at Richmond in 2016 compared to 2017. They missed the 8 by 4 games and 26 percent percentage. Won the flag the next year.

Might play finals. Might not. But based on your reasoning, it's total BS.

I have already addressed it in an earlier post, but even Richmond 2017 wasn’t quite an 8 win improvement on the 2016 H&A season.

Would take a spectacular effort from the young Lions to make the finals.

Any improvement on the ladder would be a pass mark for the season. A good season would be getting out of the bottom six. A great season would be in finals contention or better.

Need to find goals, the good thing is they have options there including a certain number one draft pick. It is really hard to ignore the progress made by Berry Mcluggage Witherden Gardiner Andrews etc. I’m a big believer in what Fages is cooking up there; but I’m also a big fan in Leon Cameron. Shouldn’t be too caught up on how things look on paper anyway given how well West Coast, North did last year anyway. If they have a good run with injuries they can push for the eight until about round 20 and run out of steam, if they get some injuries which are frustrating they’ve still got some players itching for a chance in the reserves so I’d still back them in for 8+ wins.

Nope. They won't be.

Why?

Because everyone is predicting it. And if history shows anything, the actual team that shoots up is the team no one expects.

This is why the Bulldogs will be the breakout team of 2018

Or St Kilda.

Carlton or GC is just a bridge too far imo.

Tbh if anyone is going to shoot up the ladder its going to be Fremantle...

Tbh if anyone is going to shoot up the ladder its going to be Fremantle...
Will they though? They lost their most consistent and second best midfielders. They have some forwars now but you need a midfield to deliver it to them and to their advantage. I don't think their midfield is capable of bringing them up the ladder quite so soon. Need another few experienced midfielders

Richmond missed finals by 4 wins and 26 percent in 2016 and won the flag the following year, no reason Brisbane can't at least make finals next year.

Richmond had elite players in Martin, Cotchin, Rance and Riewoldt, and a host of very good B graders as well. Who have the Lions got again?

Richmond had elite players in Martin, Cotchin, Rance and Riewoldt, and a host of very good B graders as well. Who have the Lions got again?
Several elite players in Andrews, Neale, Zorko and a host of very good B graders in Lyons, Berry, McCluggage, Martin, Rayner (probably a C grader at his stage of development but his improvement will be exponential), McStay, Cameron, Cutler, Gardiner, Hipwood, Witherden

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having a quick look at the fixture for Brisbane. IMO living here, it is a good fixture in terms of timings, lots of Saturday games. A marquee Thursday night. None clash with the Broncos and NRL magic round. Couple of games clash with the Reds. After a good 2018 season I would expect Lions crowds and membership to increase.

We need a competitive AFL side in the 3rd largest city in this Country.

Get that training base at Springfield built and get that Gabba makeover started

Several elite players in Andrews, Neale, Zorko and a host of very good B graders in Lyons, Berry, McCluggage, Martin, Rayner (probably a C grader at his stage of development but his improvement will be exponential), McStay, Cameron, Cutler, Gardiner, Hipwood, Witherden

Quite a few of those "B" graders will likely be A grade / elite or close to- Berry McCluggage Rayner Gardiner Hipwood Witherden. You could argue Cameron borders on being an A grade small forward. Exciting times ahead for Lions fans.

Quite a few of those "B" graders will likely be A grade / elite or close to- Berry McCluggage Rayner Gardiner Hipwood Witherden. You could argue Cameron borders on being an A grade small forward. Exciting times ahead for Lions fans.

You guys deserve it too as Brisbane have not had a lot to celebrate in the last decade. It will actually be nice to see Brisbane back in the 8 again.

You guys deserve it too as Brisbane have not had a lot to celebrate in the last decade. It will actually be nice to see Brisbane back in the 8 again.

Yeah we've been rubbish since 2005. Really can't complain too much though given our recent three peat and that a few clubs haven't won a flag in decades and in Fremantles case none.

Adelaide will be the biggest risers on the ladder this year after the H&A season. The AFL has a habit of gifting them a very easy draw after missing finals. Their 2019 fixture is nearly as good as their 2012 one. Should finish top 4.

As for Brisbane I will believe it when I see it. Things are definitely looking better for the first time since the last season of Voss.
7-10 wins a likely result if they can win those close ones. Even if they surpass expectations and get 12 wins that is no longer a guarantee of playing finals football these days.

I was talking specifically about next season. I don't think Berry, McCluggage, Rayner etc will be A grade next season. I reckon they will be elite during their playing careers but not next season. Cameron could be but because he is injured for half the season l reckon it will take a while to get back into it.

I was talking specifically about next season. I don't think Berry, McCluggage, Rayner etc will be A grade next season. I reckon they will be elite during their playing careers but not next season. Cameron could be but because he is injured for half the season l reckon it will take a while to get back into it.

Especially Raynar as he is only into his second season and typically players have a bit of a dip in performance in their second season compared to their first.

As for Brisbane I will believe it when I see it. Things are definitely looking better for the first time since the last season of Voss.
7-10 wins a likely result if they can win those close ones. Even if they surpass expectations and get 12 wins that is no longer a guarantee of playing finals football these days.

If we make finals - bonus but not expected. That being said I would rather be coming into the final rounds with our focus being on how-close-to-eight-we-are rather than how-far-from-eighteen-can-we-get! Or how-close-to-eighteen-can-we-get for those on our board who love draft picks more than winning culture ...

Especially Raynar as he is only into his second season and typically players have a bit of a dip in performance in their second season compared to their first.
Typically they do, however Berry and McCluggage both improved a fair bit in their 2nd season. Rayner looks to have the same way in that l believe he will continue to improve even in his 2nd season (just my opinion tho). Can't wait to see how Rayner is developed, he could be anything. Hoping we develop him like a Dusty clone.

I meant they would eventually be A grade - agree about next year but Berry & McCluggage will be closing fast

I hope they do well, liked them since they had Simon Black, one of my favourite players.

More likely to win the flag than the Gold Coast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane the Breakout team of 2019?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back