Summer #Brisbane2032 - Brisbane announced as host of the 2032 Olympics!

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon Brisbane have done pretty well here. Classic case of buying low. Quite savvy actually. Probably since 88, the Games have never been secured on the cheap, as we have seem to have done it.

But I am sure people will still find something to complain about.

100 per cent

For every Montreal there is a LA.

By the time Paris and then LA rolls around the perception of the Olympic movement could be very different

Coates was pretty average against anna not going to opening ceremony . Would not have said it a male premier.

If that male Premier had said he was only going to Tokyo for the formality and would not be going to the Opening or Closing ceremony but then the IOC decreed that the Premier must go to the Opening or Closing ceremony... then he would have said it to a male Premier. Or a Prime Minister. Or the Queen of England.

The IOC run the show and what they say goes.

Plus, it gives Anna coverage to walk back on what she originally said. A win for all.

And a little PC outrage is a nice distraction from real world issues.

If that male Premier had said he was only going to Tokyo for the formality and would not be going to the Opening or Closing ceremony but then the IOC decreed that the Premier must go to the Opening or Closing ceremony... then he would have said it to a male Premier. Or a Prime Minister. Or the Queen of England.

The IOC run the show and what they say goes.

Plus, it gives Anna coverage to walk back on what she originally said. A win for all.

And a little PC outrage is a nice distraction from real world issues.
9B8D7121-A8F1-4C2D-9562-2421410301CD.jpeg

"mainsplaining"...

Which bit of what I said was wrong, BTW?

Host cities have to grovel and bribe to win. And once they win the IOC takes control of everything. They own all the rights and dictate how the money is spent.

They decide who does what. If the rules say the winning city attends the ceremonies then the winning city attends the ceremonies.

If QLD didnt know this then they are morons.

Are they morons ?

Thank Christ Princess Annastacia was there, that’s what got Brisvegas over the line

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Probably did. Enough of those crusty old IOC members probably would have said if you can't give a stuff to attend, we are going to vote to delay this 12 months and who knows if some other city/region/country else then gets their shit together. And if they delayed it 12 months, there is always the chance they as a collective say, hang on we don't need to make a decision on this until 2025, lets just keep delaying it until then, we might keep getting better bids.

Possibly the least Internationally recognized host city to ever hold a Summer games.
Up there with St Louis 1904 and Antwerp 1920.

the new rules stipulate it will always be a one horse race by voting time. The real voting was done months ago.

And we had a guy from the IOC who ensured that was the case.
But the new rules didn't eliminate that they keep delaying until 2025 and give a standard 7 year lead time to any winning bid.

Coates and Covid all have heavily benefited this bid 11 years out. I doubt the 2036 winner will be picked in 2025. They will probably go back to a 7 year lead time vote on bids.

Can't wait for 2032. Friday will mark the 11 year countdown to the 2032 Summer Olympics. NBC has the rights up to the 2032 Olympics and the Games are only to be held in July/August. The swimming finals might have to be held during the afternoon AEST to allow NBC to air the event in primetime. Brisbane is 14 hours behind NY these months.
No different to Beijing and Tokyo. No big deal.

The fuss over Anna-P going to Japan is overblown. She had to. She should go to the opening ceremony as well. If invited, why not. Sydney had to give out bribes and such for their games. All she has to do is to leave the country, make a presentation and not offend anyone.

Coates would have said that to anyone. It's John Coates, he doesn't care. The guy basically got Brisbane the Olympics.

Coates was pretty average against anna not going to opening ceremony . Would not have said it a male premier.
Coates is a law unto himself. It wouldn't have mattered who was the premier and what sex.

Last edited:
Coates was finally challenged as AOC president in 2017 by hockey gold medallist Danielle Roche. First time he was challenged since he became prez in 1990. He won 58-35.

His main pitch was that he wanted to see the Brisbane process thru and if he lost his presidency he wouldn't be an IOC member or wouldn't have any power to influence the IOC and guiding Brisbane's candidacy thru the various committees.

He has achieved his goal. People will real power don't give it up easily. Will be interesting to see if he stands down at the end of his current term. He will have plenty of work still at IOC.

He wont be made IOC president , but has plenty of power and influence as VP and a member of the 15 person Executive board. He has had several non consecutive 3 year terms as both VP and on Executive board since 2009 but he has been head of many other powerful Commissions.

utter bollocks.

Why the **** would you fly to Tokyo, go through all the bullshit to be there and then watch the ceremony from your hotel room.

If that was a man Coates would have given it to him with both barrels. If anything he went easy on what was a moronic idea from her to begin with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fuss over Anna-P going to Japan is overblown. She had to. She should go to the opening ceremony as well. If invited, why not. Sydney had to give out bribes and such for their games. All she has to do is to leave the country, make a presentation and not offend anyone.

Coates would have said that to anyone. It's John Coates, he doesn't care. The guy basically got Brisbane the Olympics.

seriously people are ****ing morons with this virus and quarantines / lockdowns.

I had a business associate fly in from the US for some meetings with BHP and it was no problem at all. Most of the people in quarantine are here for business. Anna going there was a total no brainer and absolutely required.

Not going to lie, as someone that lives in an inner-city Brisbane suburb, I ****ing hate this.

Aready Shit all nice affordable houses around the city, and this will just be seen as another excuse to build shitty apartments nobody wants to live in.

I think it's going to be a disaster as far as the livability of Brisbane goes.

Not going to lie, as someone that lives in an inner-city Brisbane suburb, I ******* hate this.

Aready sh*t all nice affordable houses around the city, and this will just be seen as another excuse to build shitty apartments nobody wants to live in.

I think it's going to be a disaster as far as the livability of Brisbane goes.
That's the spirit!

I reckon Brisbane have done pretty well here. Classic case of buying low. Quite savvy actually. Probably since 88, the Games have never been secured on the cheap, as we have seem to have done it.

But I am sure people will still find something to complain about.

I agree, I think it's fantastic. Very clever of the Queensland Government. I think it will hit people a bit more in the next few weeks how good it could be.

Coates treated Anna P like a child. He would not have approached it like that if the Premier was a man.

Coates treated Anna P like a child. He would not have approached it like that if the Premier was a man.
We will never know though. AP was obviously concerned about how it would look politically if she attended the OC. She should have come out in that media conference and been confident and bold enough to say you know what, I am attending the OC as it is an expectation of a future host states leader to be there.

By the sounds of things she asked Coates to be the fall guy in the situation.

I didnt mind Surfing. I think it fits, as long as the host city has the ability.

Not sure what i think of Surfing at Tahiti in 2024. good for the pacific, good for the comp but it is not exactly in Paris... Will be around til at least 2032.

Think they need to sort out what to do with Golf. Not sure the current format works. Some of the best golf played is when it is team-based. Softball/Baseball is very limited. baseball will be in 2028 but I prefer other sports.

Tennis and Soccer won't go ever. Soccer is the biggest sport in the world and sells a lot of tickets. Tennis brings star power and is well-loved by the majority of the players

I didnt mind Surfing. I think it fits, as long as the host city has the ability.

Not sure what i think of Surfing at Tahiti in 2024. good for the pacific, good for the comp but it is not exactly in Paris... Will be around til at least 2032.

Think they need to sort out what to do with Golf. Not sure the current format works. Some of the best golf played is when it is team-based. Softball/Baseball is very limited. baseball will be in 2028 but I prefer other sports.

Tennis and Soccer won't go ever. Soccer is the biggest sport in the world and sells a lot of tickets. Tennis brings star power and is well-loved by the majority of the players
If you have never seen surfing at Teahupoo, watch some videos and you will change your mind. It is a legendary wave and a highlight every year of the World Surfing league. Here is a video to start you off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer #Brisbane2032 - Brisbane announced as host of the 2032 Olympics!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back