Traded Brodie Grundy [Traded to Melbourne for #27]

Remove this Banner Ad

Dees would be mad to bring Grundy in. He's a really poor forward and Gawn is just okay at best. They are both #1 rucks or nothing. They need a legitimate key position forward, not another ruck. Plus he's on big coin for 5 more years.

He'd be a great fit for the Cats but even then Ceglar should be fine if he's over the injury.

Zero chance he is at Melbourne next year
Despite him not being my number one option, I beg to differ.

If he's met with Melbourne, which by all reports he has, then Collingwood would've had to give him their blessing to do so, so he's obviously being pushed out.

Goodwin is infatuated by the idea of playing two gun rucks, so if (when) Jackson goes, he'll almost certainly want that cap space used to replace him. He also seems to like the idea of Gawn playing more and more forward as we lack contested marking options ahead of the ball, so I imagine the idea would be to get Grundy to be the primary ruckman for next year.

Not saying it will happen, but it's certainly not 'zero chance'.

Despite him not being my number one option, I beg to differ.

If he's met with Melbourne, which by all reports he has, then Collingwood would've had to give him their blessing to do so, so he's obviously being pushed out.

Goodwin is infatuated by the idea of playing two gun rucks, so if (when) Jackson goes, he'll almost certainly want that cap space used to replace him. He also seems to like the idea of Gawn playing more and more forward as we lack contested marking options ahead of the ball, so I imagine the idea would be to get Grundy to be the primary ruckman for next year.

Not saying it will happen, but it's certainly not 'zero chance'.
He doesn’t need the club’s position to talk to other clubs. So Melbourne pitched him and offer, Collingwood would not trade him to a premiership contender

He doesn’t need the club’s position to talk to other clubs. So Melbourne pitched him and offer, Collingwood would not trade him to a premiership contender
Players with five years left on their contract don't just meet with other clubs on a whim.

And re Collingwood trading him to a contender, they may be prioritising keeping De Goey and/or bringing in McStay/Taranto etc. If they could, in their eyes, improve their own list by trading him out, I think Melbourne's a less 'scary' option than someone like Geelong, as we already have Gawn.

Collingwood would not trade him to a premiership contender
Collingwood holding onto an injured ruck who has been rubbish for 3 years, yet is one of the highest paid players in the league doesn't actually help them contend. It hinders them. If they could dump him and his salary they'd jump at the opportunity, clearly.

Last edited:
Collingwood holding onto an injured ruck who has been rubbish for 3 years, yet is one of the highest paid players in the league doesn't actually help them contend. It hinders them. If they could dump his salary they'd jump at the opportunity, clearly.

The problem is, why would anyone else pay that contract? Grundy has no reason to accept a pay cut, the contract is already there, he doesn't need to move.

If Max was a good kick of the footy in front of the sticks this would be an incredible move. Could be the greatest ruck combination ever however I’m not sure grundy has to many other strings to his bow. Great ruckman but I’m sure the dees would sit him forward at times aswell, I haven’t really seen him up front very often.

Ever? Really? Moss / Madden / Salmon may have something to say about that.

We have a current ruck system that is actually a strength. When we've played against Goldy he's got a few taps but having Blitz effectively be a midfielder and using Rhys and Blitz combined running capacity to run oppo rucks into the ground by 3 quarter time has been a big reason we've been good this year. We did it in 2020 and made a grand final but couldn't get a key defender to plug the backline hole.

For now Rhys/Blitz are getting it done

For back up Ceglar/Ratugolea are not ideal but they're there.

For the future we have promising kids Conway/Neale and a rough shot in Tsapatolis.

Goldy had a shot but he's done

It's getting it done for you in H&A as a point of clarification. Finals is a different beast. Time will tell.

I think if you took his whole salary on Pies would take a late first.

I would probably pay pick 20ish if he passed a very good medical (our history with injured rucks isnt great) but its a lot of salary cap and more importantly i dont think they will trade him to a fellow contender.

Dees would be mad to bring Grundy in. He's a really poor forward and Gawn is just okay at best. They are both #1 rucks or nothing. They need a legitimate key position forward, not another ruck. Plus he's on big coin for 5 more years.

He'd be a great fit for the Cats but even then Ceglar should be fine if he's over the injury.

Ceglar is ok but him and stanley will both be 32 next year so theres every chance they may retire or you would move one on to get grundy in. The trade cost and salary cap cost is the bigger issue.

The problem is, why would anyone else pay that contract? Grundy has no reason to accept a pay cut, the contract is already there, he doesn't need to move.
F oath.
Brodie should do the honourable thing and stay at Collingwood at the contract he signed :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pure_Ownage as one of the most knowledgeable and best Geelong supporters this website has to offer, do you believe we have any chance whatsoever in getting Brodie Grundy?

Ceglar is ok but him and stanley will both be 32 next year so theres every chance they may retire or you would move one on to get grundy in. The trade cost and salary cap cost is the bigger issue.
Better off trading for a Meek or Soldo, even Goldy for a year. There seems to be a ruck merry go round every season and there is always late bloomers that step up when given the chance. I mean who thought Darcy Cameron had it in him? Or that Jeremy Finlayson would be the highest rated ruck for the 2nd half of the year?

Just being competitive in the ruck and focusing on other areas tends to serve better IMO. We got both of our last 2 decent ruckman in Nank and Ivan Maric for 3rd rounders. Tom Hickey was basically free. Witts was for a 3rd and 4th rounder. Pittonet for a late 3rd etc etc. While it's good to have a premium ruck it's not even close to a necessity to challenge for a flag, trading for a 2nd one makes 0 sense to me.

Collingwood holding onto an injured ruck who has been rubbish for 3 years, yet is one of the highest paid players in the league doesn't actually help them contend. It hinders them. If they could dump his salary they'd jump at the opportunity, clearly.
I don't believe there would be a club dumb enough to take on that contract.
We'd have to be paying at least a 3rd of it for a club to even consider it.
He hasn't been anywhere near AA form for ages.

I don't believe there would be a club dumb enough to take on that contract.
North Melbourne love taking Collingwood’s duds.

So does my team actually. Hopefully we’ve learned from our mistakes though…

Pure_Ownage as one of the most knowledgeable and best Geelong supporters this website has to offer, do you believe we have any chance whatsoever in getting Brodie Grundy?

I can see the fit in that if grundy agrees to leave he probably wants to stay in vic and go to a club in the flag window. And we do really need a ruck as stanley and ceglar are near the end and conway will be good but needs time. So i see the fit. But what i dont see is why collingwood would willingly trade him to a top 4 club unless their cap is so maxed that they must dump him. Do they want him playing against them in a PF?i doubt it. So if i am collingwood im only trading him to a club that i dont think is in the window (which he wont want hence he probably stays there at least for now).

This is where it’s such an interesting situation. As far as I’m aware there’s two historical examples of salary dumping:
  • Treloar where he went for a fraction of his value
  • Brodie where he was traded for negative value.

Lets not sugarcoat that contract, hes underperforming that contract while in his prime, just how bad is that albatross going to be in the final few years? If Melbourne took on the whole contract I’d argue they should br paying nowhere near a first

He’s underperforming the contract, but not his position though (pre-injury).

It was always lunacy to pay a ruckman that kind of contract.

But nonetheless he is still one of the best rucks in the comp (and incidentally still much better than our current combo of Cameron/Cox).

Furthermore the big difference between those salary dumps, and this potential one, is the market demand.

Even at this early stage there has already been Melbourne, Geelong, GWS and Port flagged by the media as serious suitors.

He’s underperforming the contract, but not his position though (pre-injury).

It was always lunacy to pay a ruckman that kind of contract.

But nonetheless he is still one of the best rucks in the comp (and incidentally still much better than our current combo of Cameron/Cox).

Furthermore the big difference between those salary dumps, and this potential one, is the market demand.

Even at this early stage there has already been Melbourne, Geelong, GWS and Port flagged by the media as serious suitors.
None of them seem all that serious or keen TBH.

This is where it’s such an interesting situation. As far as I’m aware there’s two historical examples of salary dumping:
  • Treloar where he went for a fraction of his value
  • Brodie where he was traded for negative value.

Lets not sugarcoat that contract, hes underperforming that contract while in his prime, just how bad is that albatross going to be in the final few years? If Melbourne took on the whole contract I’d argue they should br paying nowhere near a first
Matthew Lobbe to Carlton was a Salary dump. Lobbe hadn't even met with Carlton when Port told him he was going there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Brodie Grundy [Traded to Melbourne for #27]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back