Traded Brodie Grundy [Traded to Melbourne for #27]

Remove this Banner Ad

Wait till Sidebottom, Pendlebury go

Then 2-3 years after that crisp and Hoskin Elliott, and Jamie Elliot
We are already well down the track of not needing to rely on the mentioned 6. Unlike the car crash that is St Kilda. We are well on the development path to flag # 16.

But it was only two years ago right? How could so much change in two years that they seem to be willing to ditch him? Surely clubs should have a better understanding of where their players may be in a couple of years before committing to a massive deal.
Grundys contract was signed early 2020 and it was about 8 months before we had to get rid of Treloar, Stephenson and Philips. The contract didnt start until 2021. Ned Guy was in charge of list management. We had all the contract isues at the end ofthe 2020 season. Ned didnt know what he was doing. Grundy looked pretty good at the start of 2020. He had just come off 2 AA years and looked like one of the best players in the league. Since signing the contract he has looked like a good player but not worth his contract. He has had close to 3 years of good but not elite form.

I've said it before, Geelong would love Grundy. I don't see how it gets done though. They don't have the picks to break a player of Grundys quality out of contract. Its not like Treloar where it is a fire sale; if Collingwood doesn't get what they want for him, I imagine they will be happy to keep him. So yeah, I don't see Geelong doing so.

This beggars belief to me, at least Jackson has some versatility to do things other than ruck and Darcy is ok up front as a lumbering tank but I havent seen anything for a while to suggest Grundy can play anywhere other than ruck for 85% of the game.

Last edited:
If Max was a good kick of the footy in front of the sticks this would be an incredible move. Could be the greatest ruck combination ever however I’m not sure grundy has to many other strings to his bow. Great ruckman but I’m sure the dees would sit him forward at times aswell, I haven’t really seen him up front very often.

I've said it before, Geelong would love Grundy. I don't see how it gets done though. They don't have the picks to break a player of Grundys quality out of contract. Its not like Treloar where it is a fire sale; if Collingwood doesn't get what they want for him, I imagine they will be happy to keep him. So yeah, I don't see Geelong doing so.

Agreed.. would love him but not for the picks that itll cost and with the $ he is on. With his recent injury and the contract i cant see a trade happening because collingwood will want more than other clubs would pay.

If Max was a good kick of the footy in front of the sticks this would be an incredible move. Could be the greatest ruck combination ever however I’m not sure grundy has to many other strings to his bow. Great ruckman but I’m sure the dees would sit him forward at times aswell, I haven’t really seen him up front very often.

Tough to beat Cox and NN. Both AA in the same season.

Not being a smartarse but why wouldn’t cats grab goldy
We have a current ruck system that is actually a strength. When we've played against Goldy he's got a few taps but having Blitz effectively be a midfielder and using Rhys and Blitz combined running capacity to run oppo rucks into the ground by 3 quarter time has been a big reason we've been good this year. We did it in 2020 and made a grand final but couldn't get a key defender to plug the backline hole.

For now Rhys/Blitz are getting it done

For back up Ceglar/Ratugolea are not ideal but they're there.

For the future we have promising kids Conway/Neale and a rough shot in Tsapatolis.

Goldy had a shot but he's done

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grundy is a bad fit for the Dees. Gawn is a terrible kick for goal. Melbourne should just take the Jackson selections and inject some youth into Casey to develop. Maybe get Meek in the Jackson deal as insurance for Gawn.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Grundy is a bad fit for the Dees. Gawn is a terrible kick for goal. Melbourne should just take the Jackson selections and inject some youth into Casey to develop. Maybe get Meek in the Jackson deal as insurance for Gawn.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Would Meek want to be insurance again? He’s good enough to be a starting ruck at a few clubs.

Dunno how we'd be able to get him across - unless the pies see him as surplus to their needs. All depends on what we get for Jackson I suppose? We can't afford to pay his full contract, will probably get some average first rounder picks for Jackson. Not sure what we'd have that Pies would actually want - can't see us sending off any starting team players, not entirely sure if we have outside the 22 the Pies would actually need. I'd say nothing will happen, Grundy will stay on next year and this is just sounding out clubs in case Jackson does decide to leave in the end.

We certainly have the cap room (selwood and higgins retiring, dahls 500k coming off the books plus a lot of retirements in the next 2 years) but i agree unless they would take a late R1 for him i dont think we have the picks for it.

That said i think the bigger issue is i dont see how the pies best interests are served trading him to a fellow contender like us or melb. They are better to try and convince a bottom 8 club like one of the SA clubs to take him if he is willing to go there.

We certainly have the cap room (selwood and higgins retiring, dahls 500k coming off the books plus a lot of retirements in the next 2 years) but i agree unless they would take a late R1 for him i dont think we have the picks for it.

That said i think the bigger issue is i dont see how the pies best interests are served trading him to a fellow contender like us or melb. They are better to try and convince a bottom 8 club like one of the SA clubs to take him if he is willing to go there.
I think if you took his whole salary on Pies would take a late first.

I think if you took his whole salary on Pies would take a late first.
This is where it’s such an interesting situation. As far as I’m aware there’s two historical examples of salary dumping:
  • Treloar where he went for a fraction of his value
  • Brodie where he was traded for negative value.

Lets not sugarcoat that contract, hes underperforming that contract while in his prime, just how bad is that albatross going to be in the final few years? If Melbourne took on the whole contract I’d argue they should br paying nowhere near a first

This is where it’s such an interesting situation. As far as I’m aware there’s two historical examples of salary dumping:
  • Treloar where he went for a fraction of his value
  • Brodie where he was traded for negative value.

Lets not sugarcoat that contract, hes underperforming that contract while in his prime, just how bad is that albatross going to be in the final few years? If Melbourne took on the whole contract I’d argue they should br paying nowhere near a first
I can't see Melbourne being able to take on the whole contract. If that were possible then they would have just kept Jackson.

I think Collingwood will make noise about how its not a firesale this time around to try and maximise Grundy's trade value, but the reality is if they want to bring in McStay/Taranto/Hill someone is gonig to have to spill out the other way, and I don't think it will be De Goey.

I can't see Melbourne being able to take on the whole contract. If that were possible then they would have just kept Jackson.

I think Collingwood will make noise about how its not a firesale this time around to try and maximise Grundy's trade value, but the reality is if they want to bring in McStay/Taranto/Hill someone is gonig to have to spill out the other way, and I don't think it will be De Goey.
Melbourne want to keep Jackson dude.

Yeah, it will be some very interesting conversations between the two if it happens. For mine, the fact there is even open discussions with Grundy and other teams means Collingwood have probably said "we value you but if you wanted to go to another team, we would help make that happen." It's hard to even guess how its all going to affect his trade value since its so unique. Melbourne, obviously will argue they dont NEED him and are happy to leave him with the Pies to pay as little as humanely possible in salary and draft picks.

I'm really really interested to see where this goes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back