Traded Brodie Grundy [Traded to Melbourne for #27]

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't understand how Collingwood can continually get it so wrong when it comes to list management.

Moving out two blokes in their 25-30 year old age bracket does nothing but hurt the clubs chances at success.

Unless they replace JDG and Brodie with genuine stars in their prime, they will drop off dramatically next season.

If they depart, it leaves them with the following players in this age bracket by start of 2023 season:

WHE, Adams, Crisp, Cameron, Moore, Maynard, Noble

1 A grader, a couple of B graders and some C graders. That is paper thin.

Treloar would be their best mid by the length of the straight at the moment.

They have to keep Grundy. Simply have to.

Salary dump Grundy to the Crows and send Matt Crouch the other way for cheap. Crows signed him last year on what would have been a packet of chips (because no one wanted him under Free Agency)

I honestly don't know how the Pies are going to get rid of Grundy

The Pies would be asked to pay way more than $300K, IMO, hear me out.

Pies traded Treloar to Bulldogs for their No.14 and a future second-round selection to the Magpies in exchange for Treloar, also receiving picks No.26, No.33 and No.42 in return. These points are fairly equal to each other, so this was a pure salary dump, and favoured Bulldogs even more because it gave them extra points to pick up JUH.

The salary dump was 33% of Treloar's remaining 5 year contract. Treloar was 28 at the start of his Bulldogs career, Grundy will be 29 by the start of the season next year.

IMO Grundy is on a larger contract, but is more easily replaceable, as he has shown this year. His injury would also affect his value.

Not to mention the highest value in Grundy's contract in terms of performance potential is heavily weighted towards the years in which he is younger/at his peak (diminishing returns). For instance his $7m contract was spread out over 7 years, but you could argue the years where he's aged 26-30 he would be worth more than the years he has remaining.

Last edited:
I don't understand how Collingwood can continually get it so wrong when it comes to list management.

Moving out two blokes in their 25-30 year old age bracket does nothing but hurt the clubs chances at success.

Unless they replace JDG and Brodie with genuine stars in their prime, they will drop off dramatically next season.

If they depart, it leaves them with the following players in this age bracket by start of 2023 season:

Actually we are going quite well exceeding expectations and a lock.for finals.
Our list management has you feeling some angst I'd imagine.

1658287441410.jpeg

On your opening statement, past administration, simple….Oh look there he is in above post.

Our best form this season came after Brodie Grundy’s injury we’ve already shown he’s coverable and we’re linked with Taranto so he could potentially replace De Goey.

Why offer him such a big long term contract then? I just feel as if Collingwood are just constantly hurting themselves with how they manage their list.

Our best form this season came after Brodie Grundy’s injury we’ve already shown he’s coverable and we’re linked with Taranto so he could potentially replace De Goey.
Reality is footy today is a rolling list of changes year to year and by that i mean if a player goes out another comes in and losing a big name or 2 is going to be the norm with free agency anyway. I am not so invested in my clubs list as i used to be and there are very few players that i woukd not be ok with leaving if it meant strengthening in other areas.

Sure you will still get your 1 club players but it wont be like it used to be where the team barely changed year on year.

If collingwood could move grundy on and they lose de goey, they can get taranto and probably someone else to cover it and maybe get better in the process. Its a business now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why offer him such a big long term contract then? I just feel as if Collingwood are just constantly hurting themselves with how they manage their list.
It’s completely embarrassing. Grundy signed a deal to have security at a club.

Like Treloar we have buyers remorse… Pies are to proud to lose players imo and clearly pay anything to keep them.

Grundy is a 700k player at best.

Doubt there’s any takers. Probably North because they have endless cap space and any mature player improves them. Dunno how you convince him to go there, guess you basically have to forcibly evict him like Treloar.
As a Collingwood supporter I can't see it happening.
1/. Grundy has to want to go.
2a/. Another club has to want to take on his contract or Grundy has to accept less.
2b/. Collingwood has to agree to pay part of his contract. Would cause riots after Treloar and Stepho.

Last edited:
As a Collingwood supporter I can't see it happening.
1/. Grundy has to want to go.
2a/. Another club has to want to take on his contract or Grundy has to accept less.
2b/. Collingwood has to agree to pay part of his contract. Would cause riots after Treloar and Stepho.
No handy scape goat like Ned Guy to blame this time either.

Just have to wear the pain of his contract for another half decade

No handy scape goat like Ned Guy to blame this time either.

Just have to wear the pain of his contract for another half decade
Ned Guy negotiated the Grundy contract.
He is the gift that keeps giving for Collingwood.
He will probably block a player from coming to or leaving us in his AFL role as well.

Because they were scared of losing him in his absolute prime, so they basically made him a godfather offer. Absolute madness by Collingwood, now they're thinking of trading him and paying part of his salary to play for another club, all because they didn't want to lose him. Now they're going to pay for him to play elsewhere, so stupid.

Because they were scared of losing him in his absolute prime, so they basically made him a godfather offer. Absolute madness by Collingwood, now they're thinking of trading him and paying part of his salary to play for another club, all because they didn't want to lose him. Now they're going to pay for him to play elsewhere, so stupid.

But it was only two years ago right? How could so much change in two years that they seem to be willing to ditch him? Surely clubs should have a better understanding of where their players may be in a couple of years before committing to a massive deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Brodie Grundy [Traded to Melbourne for #27]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back