Traded Brodie Grundy [Traded to Melbourne for #27]

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we exposed the injury argument is completely baseless when comparing Gawn and Grundy.
What? Grundy played 6 games this year. He is currently injured not playing. Whats to say he isn’t going down the Ben Brown path?

While most people would agree that Grundy isn't worth the 950k when teams in this era aren't relying heavily on grade A rucks anyway, and we've got a cheaper option in Cameron who is well and truly pulling his weight... I can't see many people arguing that he's not worth 650k/year which is essentially what we're reported to be letting him go as (assuming we're paying 300k to some other team)
Jesus we'd better be getting some amazing pick(s) in return!

What’s to say Gawn doesn’t do a third ACL?
Oh - that’s why you want Grundy!!!!!

You can say that about any player.

What happens if May does his knee, let’s go for Moore
What happens if Pickett does his knee, let’s go for Ginnivan just in case
What happens if Salem does his knee?, let’s chase Daicos just in case

To be honest I would much prefer to go for Degoey with the cash as a FA in case Petracca does his knee again

What’s to say Gawn doesn’t do a third ACL?
Oh - that’s why you want Grundy!!!!!
He could, anyone could do an ACL. But Gawn has been All Aus 6 of the past 7 seasons.

Grundy has stress fractures in he’s ankles right now. Wear and tear injury. His body is wearing out and Collingwood are desperate to get out of his next 5 years

You can say that about any player.

What happens if May does his knee, let’s go for Moore
What happens if Pickett does his knee, let’s go for Ginnivan just in case
What happens if Salem does his knee?, let’s chase Daicos just in case

To be honest I would much prefer to go for Degoey with the cash as a FA in case Petracca does his knee again
You better ask the guy I was replying to, making the absurd assertion about injuries.

He could, anyone could do an ACL. But Gawn has been All Aus 6 of the past 7 seasons.

Grundy has stress fractures in he’s ankles right now. Wear and tear injury. His body is wearing out and Collingwood are desperate to get out of his next 5 years

If Grundy’s body was wearing out, Melb would not be publicly court him.
Pretty simple really.

You better ask the guy I was replying to, making the absurd assertion about injuries.
They aren’t absurd, he’s played 6 games this year because he’s injured.

If Grundy’s body was wearing out, Melb would not be publicly court him.
Pretty simple really.
They did the same thing with Ben Brown. Ben said in an interview Melbourne’s pitch to him was how they were going to manage is knee the rest of his career. Brown certainly isn’t the player he was a North though.

Likewise, Grundy was apparently impressed by Melbourne’s pitch. Maybe Melbourne are backing themselves they can manage Grundy.

They did the same thing with Ben Brown. Ben said in an interview Melbourne’s pitch to him was how they were going to manage is knee the rest of his career. Brown certainly isn’t the player he was a North though.

Likewise, Grundy was apparently impressed by Melbourne’s pitch. Maybe Melbourne are backing themselves they can manage Grundy.

The way the demons fitness staff played Petracca with a broken leg fills me with confidence

The thing is this discussion is really an endless loop because we’re dealing with hypotheticals.

You clearly don’t think he’s worth it, but this thread is more so about his trade value. In the event Dees do decide to go for him, what do you think will be a fair trade between the two clubs?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming Melbourne get pick 13 as part of the Jackson trade with Freo, who would say no to this?

Collingwood get picks 13, 41, 63. Melbourne get Grundy, 47, 48
Rates Grundy as pick 15 with draft points (take that how you want) which I feel is about fair value considering the circumstances for both teams.

Assuming Melbourne get pick 13 as part of the Jackson trade with Freo, who would say no to this?

Rates Grundy as pick 15 with draft points (take that how you want) which I feel is about fair value considering the circumstances for both teams.

Hard no from Demons. If pick 13 is involved I would expect Collingwood first to also be involved.

Alternatively, the pick Freo get for Logue (Likely pick 19), to Demons for Jackson to Collingwood for Grundy.

Personally I rate a 24 year old fit (who is also under PSD threat) Logue over Banged up Grundy so I am being generous here or need a 3rd rounder coming back.

My favourite would be to package up pick 34 and 41 with Future 2nd and other miscellaneous picks (maybe from Jayden Hunt or Bedford leaving) to nab a pick in early 20s for Grundy.

Pick 19 being first pick on day 2 holds that little bit of extra value.

Last edited:

We’re not getting pick 13

No SPIN

I understand why you're pumping up Grundy, you're subconsciously trying to increase his value. I get it, I did it with Jackson. I did my best on this board :) But one thing you're missing is that Grundy has shown no signs of being a good forward. Not even signs of being an average forward. Bringing Grundy in to play as our 2nd ruck/forward is a recipe for disaster. If Gawn could play forward, then it may be worth it for us but both Grundy and Gawn are spud forwards.

Also, I personally think Grundy has got next to no chance to be playing footy at 34, let alone good footy. Probably not even 33. I see him retiring at 32. He is losing his mobility extremely quickly. So if we take on his 5 year contract and he lasts 3 years, which would still be a good effort, then we are essentially paying him over a million dollars a season. That's a hell of a lot for a 2nd ruck/bad forward.

I'm offering pick 32, nothing more. And I will be totally fine with him not coming to us.

No SPIN

I understand why you're pumping up Grundy, you're subconsciously trying to increase his value. I get it, I did it with Jackson. I did my best on this board :) But one thing you're missing is that Grundy has shown no signs of being a good forward. Not even signs of being an average forward. Bringing Grundy in to play as our 2nd ruck/forward is a recipe for disaster. If Gawn could play forward, then it may be worth it for us but both Grundy and Gawn are spud forwards.

Also, I personally think Grundy has got next to no chance to be playing footy at 34, let alone good footy. Probably not even 33. I see him retiring at 32. He is losing his mobility extremely quickly. So if we take on his 5 year contract and he lasts 3 years, which would still be a good effort, then we are essentially paying him over a million dollars a season. That's a hell of a lot for a 2nd ruck/bad forward.

I'm offering pick 32, nothing more. And I will be totally fine with him not coming to us.
I’d rather keep him then. Pick 32 is unders

No SPIN

There is no evidence he has lost his mobility, and he is an aerobic beast.
Therefore 5 years is not an issue when looking at the number of less talented Ruckman still playing at 32, and Goldstein is 34.

He could easily play fwd if trained accordingly (especially given he’s far more mobile and athletic than most Ruckman.)
Just like McDonald was turned from an average bqckman to a capable forward.

If the Melb list manager tries your tactics to bring down the price, he’ll be laughed out of the room.

Except Coll know Grundys body is fine and so will get a good deal, or not trade.

Hard no from Demons. If pick 13 is involved I would expect Collingwood first to also be involved.

Alternatively, the pick Freo get for Logue (Likely pick 19), to Demons for Jackson to Collingwood for Grundy.

Personally I rate a 24 year old fit (who is also under PSD threat) Logue over Banged up Grundy so I am being generous here or need a 3rd rounder coming back.

My favourite would be to package up pick 34 and 41 with Future 2nd and other miscellaneous picks (maybe from Jayden Hunt or Bedford leaving) to nab a pick in early 20s for Grundy.

Pick 19 being first pick on day 2 holds that little bit of extra value.
Logue over Grundy - you’ve just embarrassed yourself beyond redemption.
Wow just wow.

Yeah, keep him then. no biggie. Then you'll be forced into paying him a million but over 5 years and bench D.Cameron as well as miss out on trade targets.
We’re getting McStay what ever happens. The cap has increased, and several players will have lower contracts next year, so we’ll get Fiorini.

And do you think we’re going to lose sleep not picking up Frampton or Hill.

I’d rather keep him then. Pick 32 is unders
LOL. Ma Please stop there... Just stop.
The whole thing is about getting his salary off ya books.
Not about getting a high draft pick.
Unders?? There is no unders with a salary that BIG. .
His salary alone drops his value by a round... even two IMO.
In fact you should be giving the other team a pick in the second round to take him and his entire salary lol.
Pick 32 would be a steal if someone was silly enough to offer it.
So let's get back to the real world.
It is a salary dump to allow u guys to re sign your own blokes and potential free agents.

LOL. Ma Please stop there... Just stop.
The whole thing is about getting his salary off ya books.
Not about getting a high draft pick.
Unders?? There is no unders with a salary that BIG. .
His salary alone drops his value by a round... even two IMO.
In fact you should be giving the other team a pick in the second round to take him and his entire salary lol.
Pick 32 would be a steal if someone was silly enough to offer it.
So let's get back to the real world.
It is a salary dump to allow u guys to re sign your own blokes and potential free agents.
If you think this is Treloar all over again then you are kidding yourself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Brodie Grundy [Traded to Melbourne for #27]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back