Traded Brodie Grundy [Traded to Melbourne for #27]

Remove this Banner Ad

Max Gawn turns 31 on Dec 30 - 88 goals, 79 behinds (181 games)
Brodie Grundy 28, 6months - 60 goals, 55 behinds (177 games).
Reports say Grundy has 5 years, 5 million left with Collingwood to pay 300k and Melb 700k per season.
Melbourne would give Collingwood a 1st round pick if he only had 3 years left but 700k for Grundy in years 4 and 5 at age 32, 33 scares a lot of people and to get out out of a bad contract for a player is going way up eg J.Bowes.

I think a pick in the 20's will get it done.
What do you think Melbourne will give Collingwood for Grundy?

Would be 2 firsts if it was Grundy wanting out, being the Pies I'd say they take an early 20s pick and 3rd round upgrade or similar.

He's bang on though. McStay is a career 10 disposal sub 1 goal a game player and apparently he's worth clearing the books of a top 2 ruck for.

The complete dichotomy of McStay was on display in the finals when he competed hard v Richmond, and then v Geelong he didn't give a yelp, consistently not just out pointed but out MARKED by Geelong defenders such as Kolodjashnij who is hardly a star, and had ZERO second efforts and did not show any desperation the few times the ball did hit the deck.
Eh...not sure I'd agree with that.

He looked like the only forward for Brisbane who was at least trying to apply some defensive pressure in that game. (Although we're comparing to blokes like Daniher so maybe that's a low bar.....)

I'm struggling to see Pies coming out of this trade in a positive light.

To be honest light means **** all, if it helps the performance on field it helps the club. Some bad media posturing from the likes of Barrett means nothing, Treloar/Stepho/Phillips culls hasn't stopped the Pies getting players want to go there and also only having the players exit that they want.

Eh...not sure I'd agree with that.

He looked like the only forward for Brisbane who was at least trying to apply some defensive pressure in that game. (Although we're comparing to blokes like Daniher so maybe that's a low bar.....)

Seriously watch it again, he gave up over and over again. If he did anything it was the pseudo pressure that spuds do to get a game, you're never gonna catch them but hey look coach I ran after him.

To be honest light means * all, if it helps the performance on field it helps the club. Some bad media posturing from the likes of Barrett means nothing, Treloar/Stepho/Phillips culls hasn't stopped the Pies getting players want to go there and also only having the players exit that they want.
Hasn’t stopped us improving either, although we took unders for Treloar in a salary dump we’re winning the other 2 trades, well 3 trades actually with the other young player we sent with Stephenson.

Stephenson is trash, has great ability but is soft as butter with a deplorable attitude to boot! Coach killer, Phillip’s is a decent enough soldier but would be depth only if he stayed.

Hasn’t stopped us improving either, although we took unders for Treloar in a salary dump we’re winning the other 2 trades, well 3 trades actually with the other young player we sent with Stephenson, Stephenson is trash, has great ability but is soft as butter with a deplorable attitude to boot!

Everyone starts on zero.

Let's see how much they have improved

Hasn’t stopped us improving either, although we took unders for Treloar in a salary dump we’re winning the other 2 trades, well 3 trades actually with the other young player we sent with Stephenson, Stephenson is trash, has great ability but is soft as butter with a deplorable attitude to boot! Phillip’s is a decent enough soldier but would be depth only if he stayed.

Exactly. So essentially shopping bad deals out and getting cast in a bad light by media pundits means **** all

Exactly. So essentially shopping bad deals out and getting cast in a bad light by media pundits means * all
Nah we deserve the heat, the Grundy deal, swapping a future first for god knows what and watching that turn into pick 2, miraculously allowing Phillip’s to trigger performance clauses and earn 600kpa, 600 ****ing k for him, the Beams deal is possibly the worst trade ever made in the history of sport, the Treloar dump, all that within 2-3 years, it’s beyond my comprehension how we aren’t glued to the bottom of the ladder under North.

I'm surprised as to why Carlton weren't rumored to be interested. Cap room important to them for the next 3-4 years with multiple "Mega deals" players, here they are getting a prime ruck (which they lack, Pittonet isn't it) on a reduced salary, while De Koning gets to develop.

You could even get Pies to pay more if you paid more in draft picks.

Nah we deserve the heat, the Grundy deal, swapping a future first for god knows what and watching that turn into pick 2, miraculously allowing Phillip’s to trigger performance clauses and earn 600kpa, 600 ****ing k for him, the Beams deal is possibly the worst trade ever made in the history of sport, all that within 3 years, it’s beyond my comprehension how we aren’t glued to the bottom of the ladder under North.

The contracts are bad, acknowledging them and getting rid of them isn't. But that's what the Pies copped a lot of heat for. Even the Grundy contract was shit house and had complete Short term outlook, no long term view.

Interesting that this trade is low priority for us given the salary cap he is currently taking up.

Must mean we can accommodate Hill, Frampton, Mcstay even if the Grundy trade doesn't go through.

However, it is also likely we can't trade in either or both of Fiorni and Mitchell without clearing Grundy's salary.

Interesting that this trade is low priority for us given the salary cap he is currently taking up.

Must mean we can accommodate Hill, Frampton, Mcstay even if the Grundy trade doesn't go through.

However, it is also likely we can't trade in either or both of Fiorni and Mitchell without clearing Grundy's salary.
I wouldn’t say it’s low priority. It’s more so we have to wait on Freo and Melbourne to take care of the Jackson deal first.

I agree though in that we can accommodate for those guys without worrying about the Grundy deal.

I can see any potential Fiorini or Mitchell deal being reliant on Grundy’s contract being moved out first. Hopefully the Jackson deal can be done over the coming days so we can get going on Fiorini and Mitchell - I’d love to add those guys to our set up.

I wouldn’t say it’s low priority. It’s more so we have to wait on Freo and Melbourne to take care of the Jackson deal first.

I agree though in that we can accommodate for those guys without worrying about the Grundy deal.

I can see any potential Fiorini or Mitchell deal being reliant on Grundy’s contract being moved out first. Hopefully the Jackson deal can be done over the coming days so we can get going on Fiorini and Mitchell - I’d love to add those guys to our set up.
What do you mean haha the list managers have literally come out and said we will address this trade towards the end - implying we can complete other acquisitions before Grundy's cap is moved off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it was going to be a 1st for Grundy there's no reason this couldn't be done with our F1st today. I'm tipping it will be less.
??? This makes literally no sense

Melbourne need to confirm the Jackson deal before they deal for Grundy.

We need to do our due diligence on Fiorni / Mitchell to make sure the cash is going somewhere.

How was it possible for this to be done today?

There’s literally zero chance Melbourne will deal for Grundy before the Jackson/Freo deal regardless of what the two clubs have in mind.

??? This makes literally no sense

Melbourne need to confirm the Jackson deal before they deal for Grundy.

We need to do our due diligence on Fiorni / Mitchell to make sure the cash is going somewhere.

How was it possible for this to be done today?
Don't see why Grundy has to come after Jackson if it requires a 1st because we have a future one now. The only reason it might have to wait on some other deal is because it won't be a 1st. Is that what you are saying?

Don't see why Grundy has to come after Jackson if it requires a 1st because we have a future one now. The only reason it might have to wait on some other deal is because it won't be a 1st. Is that what you are saying?
No.

Melbourne wouldn't commit to Grundy just in case the Jackson deal falls apart, so they would want to retain some flexibility. They can't have all of Gawn, Grundy and Jackson on the list at the same time.

If they take on Grundy's salary now, Jackson would have to go, which makes Melbourne lose leverage when dealing with WCE and Fremantle.

Regardless, Grundy's trade value and the fact that a trade didn't occur today have nothing to do with eachother.

No.

Melbourne wouldn't commit to Grundy just in case the Jackson deal falls apart, so they would want to retain some flexibility. They can't have all of Gawn, Grundy and Jackson on the list at the same time.

If they take on Grundy's salary now, Jackson would have to go, which makes Melbourne lose leverage when dealing with WCE and Fremantle.

Regardless, Grundy's trade value and the fact that a trade didn't occur today have nothing to do with eachother.
Jackson is gone.

AFL site saying top 25 pick for Brodie, sounds right since it's not getting done for the F1st sitting there.

I was talking more the salary cap, not the trades themselves.

Imagine the implications if you bring Grundy over on $600k a year then Freo plays funny buggers and you don’t get a trade sorted. Jackson is still expecting his big payday!

Separate deals but the picks traded cascade to other teams.

Logue to North for F2 AFL assistance pick. Likely top 25.

Jackson & pick 33 to Freo for pick 14, Freo F1 & North F2 AFL assistance pick.

Grundy + $300k P.A for next 5 years to Dees for North F2 AFL assistance pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Brodie Grundy [Traded to Melbourne for #27]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back