Speculation Brodie Kemp [OOC 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably just SOS trying to keep the pressure on Carltons salary cap. Shake the cap hard enough and a TDK sized apple may fall from the tree. He really needs to let go of Carlton for a bit though.
We just let go of how much salary space? Unless TDK is about to become the first 2million a year player I think we'll be fine

Probably just SOS trying to keep the pressure on Carltons salary cap. Shake the cap hard enough and a TDK sized apple may fall from the tree. He really needs to let go of Carlton for a bit though.
If and that’s a big if. TDK was to leave, St Kilda would be on the bottom of his wish list.

It could be SOS keeping the pressure on our salary cap… it could be an attempt at squeezing someone like TDK out…
Luckily we’ve just clear a heap of cap space, so in the very rare chance that TDK does explore his option as an RFA.
We’ll be matching for sure.

It could also be that SOS hasn’t watch a junior game since his sons finished school, so the only information he has to go off is the drafts of 2020 and before.

It could be SOS keeping the pressure on our salary cap… it could be an attempt at squeezing someone like TDK out…
Luckily we’ve just clear a heap of cap space, so in the very rare chance that TDK does explore his option as an RFA.
We’ll be matching for sure.

It could also be that SOS hasn’t watch a junior game since his sons finished school, so the only information he has to go off is the drafts of 2020 and before.
I don't get this narrative about clearing space. You guys only lost Kennedy, Marchbank, Owies and Martin - if any of those guys were on anything close to significant money you are grossly mismanaging your salary cap.

Curnow, McKay, Cripps, Walsh, Cerra and now Weitering are all on well above average contracts. TDK will be asking $900+, he'd be foolish not to, whether he leaves is another question. And yes, ha ha, St Kilda, we are a nothing club, whatever, but my point stands.

As for SOS, I do agree, he has an unhealthy obsession with guys he's previously brought in. I guess we are just glad in St Kilda land that we have decent management and haven't let him overpay for any ex Carlton players like you guys did when he came over from GWS.

I don't get this narrative about clearing space. You guys only lost Kennedy, Marchbank, Owies and Martin - if any of those guys were on anything close to significant money you are grossly mismanaging your salary cap
It won't be a huge amount but replacing those guys on roughly AFL average with standard draftee contracts adds up

I don't get this narrative about clearing space. You guys only lost Kennedy, Marchbank, Owies and Martin - if any of those guys were on anything close to significant money you are grossly mismanaging your salary cap.

Curnow, McKay, Cripps, Walsh, Cerra and now Weitering are all on well above average contracts. TDK will be asking $900+, he'd be foolish not to, whether he leaves is another question. And yes, ha ha, St Kilda, we are a nothing club, whatever, but my point stands.

As for SOS, I do agree, he has an unhealthy obsession with guys he's previously brought in. I guess we are just glad in St Kilda land that we have decent management and haven't let him overpay for any ex Carlton players like you guys did when he came over from GWS.
Martin was on around $350k a year for the last few years of his deal, which was heavily front loaded. I imagine that Kennedy could've been on around $500k, which isn't heaps these days (remember when the Swans were paying Mitchell $450k to play in the NEAFL?). Owies and Marchbank were both potentially on around $300k each (AFL average was nearly $450k last year).
That's nearly $1.5m. They will be replaced with guys on draftee wages, which are around $100k.
Also worth mentioning that even if TDK asks for $900k, we only have to find the difference between what he's on now and what he's asking, not the full $900k.
The salary cap will be $17.76m in 2025 (a $2m increase from this year).

It won't be a huge amount but replacing those guys on roughly AFL average with standard draftee contracts adds up
Without intending to be offensive, there aren't too many on your list who would be looking to get big pay increases. I say that, because all clubs delist or trade players, the savings are usually absorbed by existing players on the up.

It's like St Kilda saying, we just got rid of Battle & Ross, we just saved $1.5m, so compared to a draftee we must have $1.25m spare. The $1.5m would be going to kids like Owens, Pou, Nas, Windhager etc, and so the cycle continues.

So not as to try to give everyone lessons in cap management, I'll just say it's a delicate balance. Meaning being forced to overpay a few guys could push others out, I'm not reinventing the wheel, just logical.

Semantics though, this was all based on an unfounded hypothetical so let's not waste any more time on it. You guys should be glad you kept Kemp and we should be glad we didn't kill our draft capital for him.

Without intending to be offensive, there aren't too many on your list who would be looking to get big pay increases. I say that, because all clubs delist or trade players, the savings are usually absorbed by existing players on the up.

It's like St Kilda saying, we just got rid of Battle & Ross, we just saved $1.5m, so compared to a draftee we must have $1.25m spare. The $1.5m would be going to kids like Owens, Pou, Nas, Windhager etc, and so the cycle continues.

So not as to try to give everyone lessons in cap management, I'll just say it's a delicate balance. Meaning being forced to overpay a few guys could push others out, I'm not reinventing the wheel, just logical.

Semantics though, this was all based on an unfounded hypothetical so let's not waste any more time on it. You guys should be glad you kept Kemp and we should be glad we didn't kill our draft capital for him.
I haven't read back the thread far enough to know if I'm agreeing or disagreeing with you but happy to take either position

We'd probably, or at least I hope, would sooner force someone else out that's more expendable than TDK if it came to that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Brodie Kemp [OOC 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back