Brown wants out!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would do it as 2 separate trades

Brown -> pick 13

Stevens -> Cripps in a straight swap

Pick 13 + Cripps is way too greedy

I think pick 13 is fair but every draft is different and they may think Brown has more value than the players who will be there. Cripps really has not much value. St Kilda admitted a few weeks after the draft they made a mistake selecting him so high because they didn't know about his condition. If he wasn't a 1st round pick no one would even be talking about him. He would not make our rd 1 team. He could be handy in the future but he is not a priority in any way shape or form.

I think pick 13 is fair but every draft is different and they may think Brown has more value than the players who will be there. Cripps really has not much value. St Kilda admitted a few weeks after the draft they made a mistake selecting him so high because they didn't know about his condition. If he wasn't a 1st round pick no one would even be talking about him. He would not make our rd 1 team. He could be handy in the future but he is not a priority in any way shape or form.
Don't think Brown is worth more than Dawes or Wellingham. If we were to trade Brown I think people round these parts will be disapointed with the return

[quote="Masto, post: 26092011, member: 88729"St Kilda admitted a few weeks after the draft they made a mistake selecting him so high because they didn't know about his condition.[/quote]
You sure about that? I don't remember us admitting to a mistake.

If it's true we rejected Goddard compo for Brown, I'm going to be shifting into the "Vozzo is a dud" camp.

We can find KPD depth elsewhere or fast track McInnes.

I'm not on Twitter but a tweet on the afl trade rumours today said as much

AFL Trade Rumours@Afltrade
@BRogers94 don't think so because st Kilda offered the combo pick for Brown and Eagles declined. They want a top 10 pick

View conversation

looking at the site not many rumours come true , maybe 5% haha

Account may be run by Big Cox/Naitawhoey, judging by its accuracy rate :p

Don't think Brown is worth more than Dawes or Wellingham. If we were to trade Brown I think people round these parts will be disapointed with the return

Therein lies the difference between a players ability and their trade value. Mitch Brown is not a regular but has shown he can play competently on guys like Goodes and Franklin. That's a rare commodity in the AFL and thats why St Kilda want him so badly. Dawes is more experienced than Brown but does not really bring any AFL qualities to the table other than a big body. Wellingham is experienced and versatile. He does some good things in a variety of positions but all those are much more replaceable than fullback.

Don't think he adds a lot to us (due to having enough of that type of player), but Ray in nowhere near as bad as some people make out.

This is true, but I also knew him at school and have personal reasons as to why I would absolutely hate for him to join the side that I support. For me that gif couldn't be more perfect.

The difference between Wellingham and Brown is the contract situation which plays a part in determining fair value.

Not sure what Dawes contract status is, but if he is worth Melbourne's pick 20 (being reported as the minimum asking price) then Brown's value should be similar.

I reckon most would see Cripps + 24 for Brown about fair... would you agree?

Perhaps we would have to chuck in the "steak knives".

The difference between Wellingham and Brown is the contract situation which plays a part in determining fair value.

Not sure what Dawes contract status is, but if he is worth Melbourne's pick 20 (being reported as the minimum asking price) then Brown's value should be similar.

There is a difference between Brown's value on the market and his value to us.

Losing him impacts of KPD stocks in the short term (back up for Glass and EMac) and long term (replacement for Glass).

As such we value him a lot higher than he 'normally' would be and we would need overs to entertain the trade (i.e. opportunity to pick up a potential gun with a high first rounder).

You're going to have to explain to me how West Coast lose by keeping an asset that already belongs to them? Brown is a depth back at West Coast. He comes in where required. If he leaves this year it will be through a trade of West Coast's choosing. If he leaves next year, West Coast wil receive a compensatory draft pick for that loss.

The Eagles hold all the leverage.
I am merely listing the pro's and con's for each club. I agree that West Coast have the leverage, but am also suggesting that St Kilda whilst keen to have him are unlikely to sweeten the offer as significantly as some on here would like (i.e. to involve #13) - hence the trade seems unlikely. The biggest loser to the continuance of the status quo ante, I am arguing, would not be either club, but Mitch himself. Hence the main driver for change would seem likely to need to come from him and his manager.

N.B. If Brown were to leave next year West Coast would only receive a pick if they trade him - he would not count under FA rules as would not have spent enough years at the club. Being uncontracted his worth would probably be lower than it is now. Or he could walk into the PSD in which case West Coast would get zip.

Btw Mitch Brown is not an 'asset'... he's a human being... have you been watching too much Homeland?

Not sure why we give this air, saints supporters were unable to hold a rational or civil discussion on the main board. leave it.
In all fairness Ziad, it was only that one nutjob who was unable to have the rational discussion. Hopefully he's on a holiday?

noticed in an article today jared rivers is in negotiations with geelong. we could do worse than making a play for him. though in the absence of glass it would leave us with two slightly undersized KPD in schoey and rivers. JR is also a bit flaky, although i wonder if that is more him as a person or the general footy 'culture' around the melbourne demons... undeniably talented.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In terms of what each player has shown in their career I would have thought that Cripps + 43 would be about right.

In practical trade terms given that West Coast have the leverage and I'm doubtful how much they want Cripps, I agree that Cripps + 24 would be about right. Possibly you blokes chuck 57 back our way?

noticed in an article today jared rivers is in negotiations with geelong. we could do worse than making a play for him. though in the absence of glass it would leave us with two slightly undersized KPD in schoey and rivers. JR is also a bit flaky, although i wonder if that is more him as a person or the general footy 'culture' around the melbourne demons... undeniably talented.

Just as a general note, I would imagine that we won't spend a lot of money luring players over this year. Even with Wellingham, we waited until he cut his asking price before we decided to poach him.

Likewise, we haven't been linked to any FA and I think it's fair to assume we have no money in the cap.

Having said that, I can imagine us making a really big splash on some free agents when our older players start retiring. Hopefully by then Freo would've tied themselves up with second tier players on huge money, as is the Fremantle way, and we'll have the pick of WA talent.

Just as a general note, I would imagine that we won't spend a lot of money luring players over this year. Even with Wellingham, we waited until he cut his asking price before we decided to poach him.

Likewise, we haven't been linked to any FA and I think it's fair to assume we have no money in the cap.

Having said that, I can imagine us making a really big splash on some free agents when our older players start retiring. Hopefully by then Freo would've tied themselves up with second tier players on huge money, as is the Fremantle way, and we'll have the pick of WA talent.

Wellingham's BFF is out of contract next year. ;)

I am merely listing the pro's and con's for each club. I agree that West Coast have the leverage, but am also suggesting that St Kilda whilst keen to have him are unlikely to sweeten the offer as significantly as some on here would like (i.e. to involve #13) - hence the trade seems unlikely. The biggest loser to the continuance of the status quo ante, I am arguing, would not be either club, but Mitch himself. Hence the main driver for change would seem likely to need to come from him and his manager.

N.B. If Brown were to leave next year West Coast would only receive a pick if they trade him - he would not count under FA rules as would not have spent enough years at the club. Being uncontracted his worth would probably be lower than it is now. Or he could walk into the PSD in which case West Coast would get zip.

Btw Mitch Brown is not an 'asset'... he's a human being... have you been watching too much Homeland?
Fine, I'll rephrase as to not offend your delicate sensibilities. Mitch Brown is a commodity.

You're following my drift.

I wouldn't be surprised if we put up an obscene offer for him next year. Amazingly slim chance to snare him but maybe we can force Hawthorn to shed some decent players.

Round 23 2013 & Buddy still hasn't re-signed?

24733313.jpg

;)

You're following my drift.

I wouldn't be surprised if we put up an obscene offer for him next year. Amazingly slim chance to snare him but maybe we can force Hawthorn to shed some decent players.

2014, Round 1, WCE forward line:

Wellingham Franklin Shuey
LeCras Kennedy Darling

:thumbsu:

Although playing Wellingham and Franklin within 50m of each other could pose some issues.

Farren Ray was as soft as when playing for the Bullies (saw him squib a number of times), but to his credit, the Saints got that out of him > he's not soft anymore / a good enough player imo.

spot on mate very good observation.

ray is anything but soft. the 2010 GF1 was very interesting. both peake and ray had terrible first halves. it was almost like they were too affraid to go anywhere near the footy. ray came out in the 2nd half and completely tagged swan out of the game. his performance was amazing. behind hayes and beej he would have been one of the BOGs.

ray has continually ran back with the flight of the ball and thrown his body at the footy since coming to the saints. he is anything but soft. he is a winger than can do the HBF sweeper role. can also tag.

i feel sorry for him. he should be playing regular senior footy. easily in our best 22. kills the VFL but struggled to earn selection for god knows what reason.

spot on mate very good observation.

ray is anything but soft. the 2010 GF1 was very interesting. both peake and ray had terrible first halves. it was almost like they were too affraid to go anywhere near the footy. ray came out in the 2nd half and completely tagged swan out of the game. his performance was amazing. behind hayes and beej he would have been one of the BOGs.

ray has continually ran back with the flight of the ball and thrown his body at the footy since coming to the saints. he is anything but soft. he is a winger than can do the HBF sweeper role. can also tag.

i feel sorry for him. he should be playing regular senior footy. easily in our best 22. kills the VFL but struggled to earn selection for god knows what reason.

It's because you've got an absolute dunce for a coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back