Brownlow Brownlow 2023 LIVE Now - Congrats Lachie Neale!

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think Woewodin deserves to be on that list with Cooney, Priddis and Neale.
Nah, he does. You're just a biased Melbourne supporter.

3 votes in a game he got 19 disposals and 0 goals. Just like Neale getting 3 votes for 20 disposals against GWS. Scott West was the far better player that year and Woewodin robbed him like a thief.

Yep. I thought they were not supposed to know the results until the night? Obviously scripted.

They also usually read the votes in order of games that round, but saved Brisbane until last.

Not if the result is in the balance. What's the point of reading out some meaningless votes when the winner is already known?

He wasn't rated in the top 5 midfielders by the All Australian selectors even though he led the league in clearancesand possessions.
Why? Because he had a bad kicking year . He only won because Brisbane won a lot of games.
Bont or Daicos were much more deserving.
Neale accumulates meaningless possessions and is not a match winner at all, everyone knows that.

He was rated in the top 5 by the coaches. I respect their opinion more than the umpires, or a panel of media noobs, or champion data.

I won’t be arguing that he was the best player in 2023, but you have made some dumb over the top comments the other way.

I would like to take this opportunity, on the advice of my lawyer and to prevent potential defamation litigation, to congratulate Mr Neale on his win and apologize for any hurt or offence caused by referring to him as Gollum.
This was meant as a term of endearment, I am a big fan of lord of the rings and some of my best friends are hobbits.
Just got a bit carried away, won’t happen again.

The voting for this medal has been flawed for years. You've got 4 umpires running up and down the ground trying to control a game. Then the AFL make the game faster and these guys are running up and down the ground all day focused on making the right calls in front of hostile crowds.

And then at the end of the game we go "What do you reckon mate, who was the best player?"

The problem is clear - They aren't the best people to judge who the best player on the ground was. Leave that to someone who didn't have to run K's up and down the ground.

**** tradition in favour of something that works for the here and now.

He wasn't rated in the top 5 midfielders by the All Australian selectors even though he led the league in clearancesand possessions.
Why? Because he had a bad kicking year . He only won because Brisbane won a lot of games.
Bont or Daicos were much more deserving.
Neale accumulates meaningless possessions and is not a match winner at all, everyone knows that.

You're putting a lot of stock in something where the likes of Kane Cornes and Cameron Ling are selectors.

Not really sure why but this one feels particularly dirty this year...

Maybe it's because of the stellar year so many players had and we ended up with a player who honestly by his own standards had a really average year, or the fact the voting felt bizarre at times.

I just assumed it was Petracca or Gulden going into that last round. I was a neutral at that game and both were awesome. Gulden was dragging the Swans by himself and Petracca kept answering him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was rated in the top 5 by the coaches. I respect their opinion more than the umpires, or a panel of media noobs, or champion data.

I won’t arguing that he was the best player in 2023, but you have made some dumb over the top comments the other way.
I watched him closely this year and I thought he had an average year.

The award has also been like that.

You are more likely to win it if you are the clear dominant midfielder within your team. Than if you are part of a stronger midfield with several star players.
I thought Dunkley was going to steal more votes off him so that he'd have no chance. Legit surprise.

If you want to win the Brownlow just win a lot of clearances and possessions, it doesn't matter what you do with them though.
Sorry to burst your bubble but Neale had a higher disposal efficiency than the whole top 10 in the brownlow.

And don't tell me "they were cheap touches" because he also had the highest contested possession ratio.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Brownlow Brownlow 2023 LIVE Now - Congrats Lachie Neale!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back