Bryce Gibbs, a class act

Remove this Banner Ad

Gibbs is not Simon Black. Black is an out and out inside midfielder. Completely different player.

I don't think jonoman was comparing the two players, other than to say that Black has demonstrated that pace is not the be all & end all in being a quality midfielder. A good user of the ball can make up for not having out & out pace by making their disposals count.

I beg to differ as Gibbs only went only Deledio after half time from memory & shut him down. Bryce kicked 2 goals whilst opposed to Deledio.

Gibbs is a midfielder & had to sacrifice his game last night & played a tagging role to shut down Deledio.

Deledio accumulated most of those stats early in the game & had another opponent on him.

So soundly beat it is :thumbsu:

Since Carlton was so dominant, it's hardly a fair comparison. I don't know what kind of tag he had on Deledio either, most of the time Gibbs seemed to have plenty of space... ,which he needs to be effective most of the time.

Gibbs will be a good player, but don't expect him to take you to a flag. Murphy is better and Gibbs gets all the attention, purely because he is 'expected' to be the better player. Slow, lacks intensity in contests, weak ball winning ability. For mine Deledio would be more valuable in a winning side.

Not comparing to Black in the way they play. Just saying if you can put the ball to good use you don't need pace, like Simon Black.

I don't think jonoman was comparing the two players, other than to say that Black has demonstrated that pace is not the be all & end all in being a quality midfielder. A good user of the ball can make up for not having out & out pace by making their disposals count.

Yep, I agree. Because of the role they play, Simon Black and Greg Williams for that matter almost dont need any pace. Pace is much more important in the role Gibbs plays. But then Jarmen managed the role pretty well without much pace.

Gibbs is exactly what he was touted to be in his draft year: a genuine footballer. Always makes great decisions and has really accurate disposal, rarely makes any mistakes. Personally i would tag Gibbs before both Murphy/Judd because even though he doesn't get as many touches as them he hurts you a lot more with the ones he gets. I think he is the guy that opposition teams are going to be clamping down on for much the reason you try to stop a guy like Dal Santo. Some guys you may be able to put an offensive minded player on and try to get them to run off the elite midfielder and hurt them the other way, but its not really effective if they have a higher hurt factor than your midfielder which Gibbs does.

Personally i would tag Gibbs before both Murphy/Judd because even though he doesn't get as many touches as them he hurts you a lot more with the ones he gets. I think he is the guy that opposition teams are going to be clamping down on for much the reason you try to stop a guy like Dal Santo.

That would be a pointless exercise.

Gibbs can't handle a hard tag which is why Ratten sets him a tag role in the first place.

IMO, Gibbs is the player that I would look to "pick off" with a harder bodied player.

Gibbs won't burn players off like some others do

He won't do freakish feats like Ablett does

But he will set up many goals and attacks, will run to the right position, and will almost always make the right decision and back it up with classy disposal.

He ain't that quick (he's not slow, either), but he rarely gets caught, and has the ability to get out of trouble. Come equal 9th in the Brownlow last year

Will be an excellent player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's just very very solid. Never makes mistakes, and always ALWAYS makes the right decisions. Seriously I have never seen him make the wrong decision. He's a very quick thinker- he'd have to be as he's not the quickest bloke. He's not really a guy where you think of him as a match winner but more of a guy who will lay the foundations. He's a good size and his disposal is first class. Very poised. However his weakness would be winning his own ball in packs and probably his movement isn't great. However he's still a gun player and is developing nicely.

Gibbs is a quality young player, looks to have all great skills.

But Id have to agree that he would struggle against a solid
midfielder willing to rough him up, no knock on Gibbs skills,
talent and football ability - but he is one youd target to
rough up as he is a bit of a skirt.

Murphy is better and Gibbs gets all the attention, purely because he is 'expected' to be the better player. Slow, lacks intensity in contests, weak ball winning ability.
[YOUTUBE]-ziV30TizxQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Lu--O9W4L5M[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]o_HBB7VQ9Zk[/YOUTUBE]

Wow.

Imagine how Gibbs would be if he was a great kick and fast like Selwood who wins his own ball. :rolleyes: :D

Emma Quayle might even tip Gibbs for the Brownlow..

To think a lot of flogs around this site bagged Gibbs when he first started playing for Carlton. Looks like they will eat thier words now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bryce Gibbs, a class act

Remove this Banner Ad

Back